Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Medieval hoods and hats (Read 708 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Medieval hoods and hats
Nov 25th, 2019 at 2:03pm

This video came up in my YouTube recommended list and, with I think all of us having at least a passing interest in history, I thought I would share it here. It's really fascinating and strengthens my resolve to actually get around and make a hood in the style shown. I've made a fair few hats using nålbinding (or nalbinding or nalebinding or needle binding or etc.) and I've seen some nålbinding hoods so once I've finished the few projects I still need to finish, I think this will be next.

But anyway, the video. It's a really great example of how these sorts of fashions can come about completely accidentally and how humans really haven't changed much despite the centuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XvEK6d9hEM

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Medieval hoods and hats
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 8:41pm

It looks like a very sensible, functional article of clothing.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 10:05pm

That was quite interesting, and well presented.  Thanks for sharing. Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 7:43am

Rat Man wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 8:41pm:

Seems to me a lot of clothing from past ages would be just as good used today. I'm still hoping cloaks come back into style because I'll be ready for it Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 5:05pm

A lot of things from the past could still be as good for today but things some things just change even if they are perfectly adequate and don't need to.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 9:53pm

Kick wrote on Nov 26th, 2019 at 7:43am:
Rat Man wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 8:41pm:

Seems to me a lot of clothing from past ages would be just as good used today. I'm still hoping cloaks come back into style because I'll be ready for it Cheesy

As good as many synthetic materials are, to this day nothing beats wool.  It retains much of its insulative ability even when wet.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2019 at 6:36am

Sailor's wool watch caps go back to at least the 1600's. It was very simple and functional. They also used to have a big "beanie" on the top that was functional also. It would help provide padding if you banged your head on a low beam.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)