Send Topic Print
Worst Performance Ever (Read 644 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Worst Performance Ever
Nov 19th, 2019 at 12:25pm

What is the worst concert, play, recital, or whatever you've ever seen?
    I have seen a few stinkers.  Believe it or not, when I saw both The Rolling Stones and The Grateful Dead they sucked.  Bands do a lot of shows in a year's time.  Most of the members are on drugs. It's understandable that they sometimes burn out but have to perform anyway.  I suspect that this was the case with the aforementioned bands. 
    The Very Worst Ever Award has to go to Joe Cocker.  I went to the show expecting very much to enjoy myself.  I liked Joe Cocker a lot.  This was his comeback tour after supposedly winning his battle with drug addiction back in the early 70s... maybe 1972.  He showed up on stage in a sloppy tee shirt with a giant heart on the front and he looked like he weighed three hundred pounds.  He had absolutely nothing.  His voice was gone, he had no energy, and I honestly believe that me, on my worst night, burned out and drunk could have put on a much better show.  Major bummer.... Joe sucked.  His comeback was a flop and he never did regain his earlier mojo. 
    The night wasn't a total bust.  Dave Mason opened the show and rocked the house.  But Joe... very sad.
     What's your worst ever performance?
Edit:  One thing I'd like to add. Joe Cocker's band was about as good a band as one could hope to have.  I think you could have stood anyone who could carry a tune in front of this band and they would have seemed great.  But not Joe.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2019 at 7:52pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Worst Performance Ever
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:58am

I went to Download festival in 2012 and it was AMAZING. I got to see Metallica and, despite not being a fan at all, they were INCREDIBLE. Absolutely the best show I'd seen up until earlier this year. I also got to see Black Sabbath who were very good despite being old burnt out rockers. The Prodigy and Soundgarden were also there which I'm so glad I got to see. This along with a slew of other bands that I had never really listened too, some of them I had never heard of, but they were all great for a big festival and it was fantastic...

Except for Biffy Clyro.

Surrounded by such amazing performances, I can see it being difficult to put on a show worthy to stand alongside the greats, however, Biffy Clyro didn't help themselves by spending an AGE setting up a thousand different cameras (some on the guitars looking down the strings, some on the microphones so pointing directly at the members faces, overhead ones etc.) which were ultimately pointless and a waste of time. Already off to a slow start and losing all of the momentum set up by the preceding bands (Steel Panther and Tenacious D who were a riot and incredibly fun), they preceded to do their songs, not interact in any way with the crowd, didn't even say anything to the crowd and then walked off once their set was finished. No encores. People were pissed. Even their hardcore fans were pissed. They sucked so bad. Luckily, Metallica came on next and utterly blew them away. They did something like 4 encores. It was the greatest performance I'd ever seen and I really am not a Metallica fan at all but that didn't matter because they put on a real show. Tons of energy and they really got the crowd pumped. Biffy Clyro were just a bad dream by the end of the night.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 12:00am

I was sitting with my wife in one of those crowded Italian restaurants where the waiters walk around singing operatic Italian songs to entertain the guests. This big guy with a thick Texas drawl comes up and starts singing O Sole Mio. He had a good singing voice, but after almost every line he stopped singing to provide commentary on the song and explain what the Italian lyrics are saying. It was the worst serenade we have ever had! 15 years later, My wife and I still occasionally turn to each other in the middle of an otherwise normal conversation and with a heavy fake southern accent we will quote our favorite singing waiter:”now this is my favorite part”...

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 3:06pm

I thought explaining a joke was bad but actually explaining a song sounds worse Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 11:35pm

He could have at least waited until the song was over Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 7:28am

I've seen metallica at donnington - no idea when it was but it was still called monsters of rock Smiley.
I don't really like them - but they did put on a very good show.

weirdest concert I've ever been to was a manowar concert in the 80's somewhere in manchester.

was a bizarre trip all round.

We broke down in stoke, the clutch stopped working. Fortunately I had one of those mini adjustable spanners on my keyring and my mate knew a fair bit about engines and got it to the point that I had about 2cm of working clutch - enough to get us there and back.

I presume manowar had upset the theatre management.
As they played sitar music to us for a couple of hours, before some bloody awful support band did about half an hour - then more sitar music.

manowar's set was bedevilled with technical issues and they gave up after about 40 minutes.

On the way home I accidentally went through a red light at a junction, and then deliberately ran all the other redlights - to be fair it was about 2 in the morning and there wasn't any other traffic around.
We were chalking the redlights up on the windscreen.
Think we hit double figures.
This was before traffic cameras, and it was raining and stopping and having to change gear, was not a great idea anyway Smiley

All the other manowar gigs I've been to were amazing !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 7:53pm

That's a really funny story, NOC.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)