Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crazy expensive medicine (Read 515 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Crazy expensive medicine
Nov 19th, 2019 at 7:09am

So my friend has a kid with juvenile arthritis and the new meds are like $24000 per month!
How the hell does a drug company expect to be able to sell something so expensive?
Also, how to get it without paying? Does anybody else on here have experience with such a situation?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Crazy expensive medicine
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 12:13pm

I had a very stubborn case of Lyme Disease that took fourteen years, three and a half years of oral antibiotics and eleven years of IVs, to drive into remission.  Fortunately insurance picked up most of the cost. The cost of everything including pain meds, antidepressants, blood pressure meds, migraine meds, Alzheimer meds, various other treatments for the endless array of symptoms cost probably over a million dollars.  Had I been one of the many millions on  my own without insurance I simply would have  died. It's a disgrace how drug companies are allowed to rape America.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2019 at 4:52pm

if surgery was painless they would exept a cow and two chickens in payment .
there is a saying in the north of england "where there's  muck there's brass ( where there is dirt there is money)..same goes for illnesses.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2019 at 3:53pm

Live somewhere with a national health service.

I'm currently on 4 medications for my diabetes and blood pressure.
I don't have to pay for any medications, or doctors appointments.

Going to go keto in the new year so with luck I'll be able to drop enough weight to kick the medicine.

But pretty much the ONLY thing that hasn't been worrying me this year is whether or not I can afford to be ill.

The amount of money spent on medical insurance in the states would fund a national health service several times over.

Most countries operate a national health program.

In the states lobbyists from the drug companies seem to have more sway than any concern for the health of the people.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2019 at 4:26am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 23rd, 2019 at 3:53pm:
Live somewhere with a national health service.

I'm currently on 4 medications for my diabetes and blood pressure.
I don't have to pay for any medications, or doctors appointments.

Going to go keto in the new year so with luck I'll be able to drop enough weight to kick the medicine.

But pretty much the ONLY thing that hasn't been worrying me this year is whether or not I can afford to be ill.

The amount of money spent on medical insurance in the states would fund a national health service several times over.

Most countries operate a national health program.

In the states lobbyists from the drug companies seem to have more sway than any concern for the health of the people.   

The American health care "service" is terrifying. Let's hope Boris actually keeps his word (first time for everything) and doesn't dismantle and sell off the NHS. I wouldn't hold my breathe on that though. Won't be able to afford an oxygen mask...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)