Slingers vs Zombies (Read 2570 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Slingers vs Zombies
Nov 16th, 2019 at 1:55am

Let’s talk assuming they are classic zombies that can only be put down by headshots. But can easily infect by even their blood splattering. So don’t get too close!

Now one slinger with adequate skill can put down one, maybe incapacitate another on a ricochet as zombie bones being dead are more like a rock than wood like a live person. But a horde of zombies even against a few slingers is where it gets interesting, the terrain is a coniferous forest meadow with a stream to supply the slingers with practically “infinite” ammo or perhaps they can use 50 glandes each. They can retreat uphill if they need to but get closer into the tree line if they get pushed back too far making it more difficult for them. But the zombies are significantly slower when trying to make it uphill.

5 slingers vs 100 zombies. The meadow spans 200 meters. The slingers start at the mid point and the zombies emerge from the bottom tree line. The slingers lose even if they don’t die, so if they retreat they’re done as there will still be zombies coming to the encampment 50 meters from the top of the hill with a dense tree barrier that makes it difficult to use slings with. How will you order your 5 slingers? You can also kite the zombies around as the slingers are flesh the zombies seek to consume.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Slingers vs Zombies
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 5:35am

Tried something similar in Rome total war 2. How many slinger units does it take to eliminate 1melee unit . The answer is at least 2.one unit shoots them drawing them near until they are within range of javelin then it retreats while the 2nd unit takes position to shoot from behind .then the melee unit has to stop chasing the other unit for 2 reasons 1)because it is to slow to catch them 2)because they need to turn their shields to the slingers shooting them from behind. It's the simplest skirmishing tactic.
Then I tried to scale it up I kept the ratio 2:1 slingers:melee but with 5 melee units. The only difficulty is that you need to coordinate more units and that you may run out of space ,but you always outrun the enemy so you could always escape .

About the zombies, it's about the rate you eliminate them and the relative speed between you and also their intelligence. If you can sling incendiary or similar to draw their attention then you might win without sweating.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 6:19am

Ah but there's a big question still left unanswered: Are they Night of the Living Dead zombies or 28 Days later zombies?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:14am

Easy answer , there are 5 new zombies.
I would say even the best slingers currently on this forum would die.
Change the scenario to a terrain where there's a positional advantage to the slingers maybe 5 slingers could hold off a small horde .
Make belive ultimate slingers that throw 20 projectiles per minute . Easy win for them but us slinging.org folk are better off running.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 10:00am

There is a positional advantage, kinda, it’s a big hill. I imagine these zombies would slow down drastically trying to make it up the hilll, not to mention they can’t all emerge from the tree line at once, they aren’t smart enough to tactically space themselves in that manner.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 10:00am

*bottom tree line.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 10:02am

But yeah no I can’t say I’d want to be one of the “lucky ones” who get to defend the camp! Grin

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 5:47pm

If the ratio was changed to 100 competent slingers and 5 zombies, I think the slingers might actually come out on top.

Probably a max ration of 2:1 Zombie: Slinger assuming the slinger has approximately 2 minutes, that's enough time for 6 - 10 semi-well placed shots. Enough for some leg shots to at least stop an immediate pursuit.

Better to save the sling for hunting birds and stick to other weapons for anything that might want to eat you.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 6:01pm

Dan wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 5:47pm:
Better to save the sling for hunting birds and stick to other weapons for anything that might want to eat you.

zombies have deathtouch, going melee has the risk of "infection by blood splattering".

but yes since the zombies are rotten and unarmored then we can use weak weapons such as slingshots blowguns bows and airguns.
hand throwing is good enough at 20m.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 2:37pm

Easy... the zombies always win. Even if the slingers get perfect headshots every time, the slingers will eventually get hungry and tired. Slingers lose the advantage of a distance attack at the tree line, and eventually the zombies just surround the open field and wait for slingers to get too close to the trees or wear them out over a couple of days and slowly pick them off. If there’s tall grass, then legless self-dragging zombies are a major threat too.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 9:23pm

Zombies win.  Head shots are difficult.  There would be many more misses than hits.  Especially under such duress.

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 11:55pm

I disagree. Zombies are slow, stupid, and impatient.. a slinger could utilize their mobility and positioning to their advantage. There would be many misses, but a head shot would not be needed to slow or cripple a zombie. As long as the slingers remained aware of their surroundings and did not become surrounded they could survive, if not defeat, their smelly attackers.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 9:50pm

yonderstone wrote on Nov 23rd, 2019 at 11:55pm:
I disagree. Zombies are slow, stupid, and impatient.. a slinger could utilize their mobility and positioning to their advantage. There would be many misses, but a head shot would not be needed to slow or cripple a zombie. As long as the slingers remained aware of their surroundings and did not become surrounded they could survive, if not defeat, their smelly attackers.

I assume you somehow missed the opening sentence of this scenario.
"Let’s talk assuming they are classic zombies that can only be put down by headshots."

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2019 at 8:52am

Zombies are slow, stupid, and impatient.

I don't completely agree with this.  Slow; definitely.  Stupid; I would say instinctual.  Those zombies are going to have one goal, to kill the slingers.  They're not going to be dissuaded and don't really need to have any other knowledge.  Impatient; I would argue persistent.  They're going to keep coming and coming, and will never stop.

a slinger could utilize their mobility and positioning to their advantage.

I think this is key.  If I was leading the group, my plan would be for all slingers to stay in fairly close proximity of each other.  This would allow the slingers to keep watch in all directions.  Also to combine efforts by slinging together.  The general idea would be to take a position within a good striking distance and attack the zombies.  Once they started to get too close, quickly move to a new position and attack again.

What it would basically come down to is if all the zombies could be taken out before the stamina of the slingers runs out.  I would say it's possible, but would (obviously) come down to the skill of the slingers.  If they were all at my level, I'm pretty sure we'd all die. Sad

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2019 at 10:54am

you are of course ignoring the fact that slingers are not stupid.

We would make specific anti zombie ammo.
Explosive incendiaries would be my ammo of choice. And yes I can make incendiary missiles from a LOT of different things. whistle

Body shots are much easier than headshots.  Plus a good incendiaty will splash and set more than one zombie on fire.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)