Send Topic Print
Tell me a SITH story (Read 1215 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Tell me a SITH story
Nov 15th, 2019 at 11:58am

Last night I started working on the sling I'll be exchanging in the SITH.  And it got me thinking, when did this all start?  So to the longer term members, when did the SITH first start?  How did the idea come about?  Where did the name come from?  Any good SITH stories out there?  I'm curious to hear.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Tell me a SITH story
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 4:48pm

name is pretty simple: Sling-In-The-Hat

names go into a hat and get picked out.
That's how I do it anyway Smiley

No idea how long it's been going. Probably started by aussie, he was always sending slings around the world.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 3:54pm

Bumpity Bump. This is an idea that needs more posts. When I have a chance I will post something. Maybe if it’s ok with you Joe we could expand it to anyone who has received a sling from someone else? Might get more stories that way.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 4:58pm

Are you insinuating that CA's reply didn't thoroughly answer my questions and entertain me?  Wink  Grin

Totally open to anyone and everyone.  Give us a SITH story if you got one!

I'll go first.  This is about my first SITH.  I need to jump back in time a ways.  My first interest in slinging and my joining of this forum are separated by 10 years or so.  If we go back to 2008ish, I was aware of what a sling was, but my interest started after reading The Clan of the Cave Bear.  Like the book or hate it, it made me think slinging was cool and I wanted to try it.  So I started making slings.  I started getting pretty good with simple braids, but unfortunately I also got out to try slinging a few times.  I was absolutely terrible.  It was frustrating to the point that I pretty much dumped the whole idea.  Something to keep in mind is that I was aware of this forum at that time.  I think my extremely poor performance when trying to sling is what kept me from joining way back then.  Once I dropped the idea of trying to sling anymore, I also stopped making them, and a particular sling was left only halfway done for a long time.

Jump to 2018.  I had been in my new house for a handful of years.  For some reason that particular year I saw some apples in the yard that had fallen from the trees and thought, 'I should dig out one of the old slings and try throwing an apple'.  I'm pretty sure I was using a completely different style than my previous attempts (without even thinking about it), but it worked!  Slinging apples out of the yard became a favorite pastime real quick.  That's also when I finally joined the forum, and then the SITH of 2018 came around.  I had started slinging, but I wasn't making them again yet.  I wanted to join the SITH but had concerns about it taking too long to make a sling since I was out of practice.  One night when I was looking through my old slings (and cordage, etc.), I found a sling that was already halfway done!  I finished that sling, and it was later sent to walter.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 6:02pm

The SITH was definitely started during my time here.  I remember it being started but who started it and when I can't recall at the moment.  I will try to remember.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 6:07pm

Still waiting

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 8:14pm

Paleoarts started it Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 9:42pm

A topic documenting Slinging.org itself.
My favourite.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 1:23pm

I honestly can’t remember all the slings I’ve gotten from members on here. While all were appreciated only some get named. Named slings are something special. IronGoobers got the name of Thicc because it’s got plenty of junk in the trunk. I love it.

Anyways, not a SITH sling but I did get one from Tomas years ago. I really liked it. Of course Tomas is a master leatherworker so even his give away slings are quite nice. I used it for awhile which is saying something because usually I will only practice a lot with my own make and model. It was similar to mine but sexier. Mine was a sling you pick up at a bar at 2 am. His was a pre-med super model. Both have their uses though. Slings that is. You naughty, naughty men.  Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 1:40pm

I got an one-piece leather sling and a BEAUTIFUL sling pouch from Tomas. If you need something made from leather, he's your man.

Oh wait this is about SITH slings. I don't think I got them through a SITH. Anyway. Point still stands, Tomas' slings rock!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2021 at 12:51am

I love the look of them , they are so gorgeous

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2021 at 3:52pm

Indeed. They look ready for war!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)