Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slings on a braiding stand (Read 4051 times)
Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Re: Slings on a braiding stand
Reply #30 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 12:41pm

Yeah. So I tested it in the rain with 3 oz lead bullet egg sinkers and it performed magically. I also tried some stones and I really like it. Any change would be a thicker finger loop. I’ve been slinging with some balearic slings and there is quite a difference. I bought some Luis Livermore’s and I made a long range out of jute. I guess that they have more drag because of the bulkiness. Hence, I get the feeling that I get more velocity/distance with the dacron andean. It is much less bulky. I do favor traditional materials just because they’ve worked for thousands of years but I’ve been told that slinging in the rain would be bad for a traditional hemp balearic sling. I’m pretty sure I am stepping in to full blown sling nerdom! Ha!Ha!Ha!

IP Logged

TheMightyAslan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester / Caernarfon UK
Reply #31 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 3:55pm

Would it be possible to get a tutorial for your dacron sling Mr Saacson? I have a spool tucked away exactly for this idea, I just have no idea where to even begin lol

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #32 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 5:01pm

Range achievable is better with synthetic (stronger) materials. The thinner the strands can be made the less air resistance and weight you have to spin and the more force can be transferred to the projectile.

I prefer the feel and look of natural materials but for the constant rainy weather here in the UK a seatbelt sling with paracord cords is perfect for everyday slinging.

A bit of rain might be ok, but you don't want to get natural slings soaked as they will go very soft and springy when they dry. Personally I just don't like getting wet, muddy and sharp rocks on a painstakingly crafted woven pouch, or even leather.

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #33 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 5:36pm

TheMightyAslan wrote on Dec 29th, 2019 at 3:55pm:
Would it be possible to get a tutorial for your dacron sling Mr Saacson? I have a spool tucked away exactly for this idea, I just have no idea where to even begin lol

I got all of my info for making my sling from the book “Sling Braiding traditions and techniques” by Roderick Owen. Its a great book. I made a core braiding stand out of scrap wood from work from plans in the book. It also has a braiding card in the book that you can use instead of a stand. Now, if you wanted to make a balearic sling out of dacron, that would be easier in my opinion. There is a great tutorial in the forum that you could use to make one of those in a short period of time. I made one out of jute cord in about 7 or 8 hours. The andean sling took weeks and weeks to make. I’d love to make a tutorial, not sure when time will avail for that. I will let you know if And when I do.

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #34 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 5:48pm

JudoP wrote on Dec 29th, 2019 at 5:01pm:
Range achievable is better with synthetic (stronger) materials. The thinner the strands can be made the less air resistance and weight you have to spin and the more force can be transferred to the projectile.

I prefer the feel and look of natural materials but for the constant rainy weather here in the UK a seatbelt sling with paracord cords is perfect for everyday slinging.

A bit of rain might be ok, but you don't want to get natural slings soaked as they will go very soft and springy when they dry. Personally I just don't like getting wet, muddy and sharp rocks on a painstakingly crafted woven pouch, or even leather.

That makes sense, and I agree. I got disturbed when my cradle got muddy. Though I purposefully intended for it to be weather proof. I didn’t consider the mud. Ha!Ha!Ha!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)