Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slings on a braiding stand (Read 4012 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Slings on a braiding stand
Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 8:35pm

@
Teg

Beautiful sling!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 8:25am

Teg wrote on Nov 19th, 2019 at 1:47pm:
I braid by hand (fistbraiding).

Other members who made such slings are hubert, T. J. Potter, _kava_ , ...

Books I can recommend about the subject are
"Sling Braiding: Traditions and Techniques" by Owen (focussed on braiding with a stand, also shows how to make the pouch)
and
"Slingbraiding of the Andes" by Cahlander (focussed on fistbraiding)

Teg,
Wow! that is an excellent sling. Amazing that you made that fist braiding! It looks like it is made from wool. How does wool hold up as a sling? Thanks for the information. I do have the Owen book. I definitely will check out the members you mentioned.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #17 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 1:41pm

Thank you very much.

Yes, I made it out of wool. Tapestry and sock wool with a small part of synthetic fibre, if I remember correctly. This holds up well. Although I have to say I don't use it often. If you are asking about wool in general, chapter 3 in the Owen book is your friend  Wink. TLDR: Look for a dense and coarse yarn with high twist.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 9:46pm

Beautiful slings, Jaegoor and Teg. I can make good looking functional slings but nothing that looks that nice.

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #19 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 12:29am

Teg wrote on Nov 24th, 2019 at 1:41pm:
Thank you very much.

Yes, I made it out of wool. Tapestry and sock wool with a small part of synthetic fibre, if I remember correctly. This holds up well. Although I have to say I don't use it often. If you are asking about wool in general, chapter 3 in the Owen book is your friend  Wink. TLDR: Look for a dense and coarse yarn with high twist.

So I finally got my stand together and braiding the loop. I went ahead and tried dacron bow string because thats what I had laying around. It seems kind of rediculous but its working really well so far. I wanted something durable and specifically less beafy than my balearic slings so I can use it for slinging lead glandes. Im attempting that Ilave style andean sling in ch 7 in the owen book.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #20 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 11:08pm

You know, I really think I'm going to take Andean braiding as a hobby.

Just making keychains though instead of slings... no mess, no fuss... and I don't swear at my crappy wool things coming undone and getting wool all over the damn floor!

It's supposed to be a Zen-like craft... not end up with me getting angry at my ineptitude...   Angry

Grin

Plus, I'll eventually use up all the alpaca wool I brought, which was supposed to go towards slingmaking.

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 8:33am

TheJackinati wrote on Nov 29th, 2019 at 11:08pm:
You know, I really think I'm going to take Andean braiding as a hobby.

Just making keychains though instead of slings... no mess, no fuss... and I don't swear at my crappy wool things coming undone and getting wool all over the damn floor!

It's supposed to be a Zen-like craft... not end up with me getting angry at my ineptitude...   Angry

Grin

Plus, I'll eventually use up all the alpaca wool I brought, which was supposed to go towards slingmaking.

No kidding. I made some great mistakes on my first project on the stand. 1st was that the warp was all mixed up with multiple ends. I discovered this after I joined the loop. I had to undraid the connection and remove half the bobbins and reassemble. My cats were having a field day! 2nd I started in the wrong position when joining the loop.
So four days and I have a finger loop and the braid is looking good. Not perfect, but good! Ha!Ha!Ha!
I also had that moment where I considered not making andean slings. Maybe fist braiding is easier...maybe not. Maybe just buy one...  Ha!Ha!Ha!

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 4:28pm

I am a member of a weaving guild ,and have used a marudai many times i have made quite a few
  look for books on Kumihimo.it is not rocket science, very easy in fact .The thing is that you need about forty percent of the  total  weight of the bobbins as the counter weight
  .it is counter intuative .the heavier the counter weight the softer the cord.  to get a very hard cord.you need to increase the total weight .There is no limit if you can handle it, it will work .Just keep the counter at 40 percent .
and even that is only historicaly correct because its what the jappanese used.

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #23 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:24pm

Ok, Here is my first andean style sling on the braiding stand. Its made out of dacron bow string material. I am very proud of it. It isn’t perfect asthetically but I’m sure it will function the way it is intended to. I set out to make a weather proof sling specifically for lead ammo. It was quite the undertaking. Took a lot of time. I notice the dacron line has white spots in some areas. This I assume is because it is a polyester material. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for lookin!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #24 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:41pm

Wow, that looks incredible!  Very sleek.  Nicely done. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #25 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:46pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:41pm:
Wow, that looks incredible!  Very sleek.  Nicely done. Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. Can’t wait to go sling some lead!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #26 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 3:24am

Nice work , very pretty

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #27 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 4:14am

That's super cool. I need to get back to sling making.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #28 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 8:53am

Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to test it out today with some 3 oz lead bullet egg sinkers.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 11:04am

Thumbs Up  Very nice! I think it is the first bow string sling I have seen. B50? How long is the pouch?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)