Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
The trash sling challenge! (Read 9567 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
The trash sling challenge!
Nov 10th, 2019 at 11:48am

Ok, I have a challenge for y’all... the trash sling challenge!  This isn’t a slinging skill challenge, it’s a sling making competition. I want to see what happens when people get creative with new sling materials and building styles.
Here’s the idea: make a sling from anything, but you aren’t allowed to spend any money on it at all. The sling should be capable of launching a tennis ball at least 5 times in a row (video proof) before it falls apart. You should have at least two different materials in the sling. Bonus points for creativity, complexity, and video production quality. Emphasis is on making the sling from TRASH... i.e.  I don’t want you to wander into the woods and make a sling entirely out of scavenged natural fibers, but you could, for example scavenge natural cordage and then make a pouch out of newspaper or a broken plastic cup.

I’ll send the winner a custom  asymmetric tennis ball sling made with [non-trash] braided cordage and leather  recycled from an old couch Smiley

Since we are just about to start the 2019 SITH, I’ll make the deadline for this  challenge March 31 2020.

Good luck!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: The trash sling challenge!
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 12:04pm

FYI, my inspiration for this challenge came from the video that Tombelaine posted a few days ago:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hq9TWDx5SLk

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 1:46pm

Cool idea!  I've already got a couple things in mind.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 4:32pm

That sounds great.  I am definitely interested.  How many submissions can each pereon have?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 6:35pm

vetryan15 wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 4:32pm:
That sounds great.  I am definitely interested.  How many submissions can each pereon have?

Hmmm... I can’t see a reason to limit the number of submissions. Only one trash sling will win, but submit as many as you want. I’d love to see other people one-up other submissions and build off of each others’ ideas. I think that’ll make this more fun.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 6:13am

I'm in

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 6:27am

Hmm, made ducktap slings in the past and there's a great video of one of our members making slings from plastic bags.

I will have a think Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:00am

I'm in. It's dark and miserable in Finland currently so I need something to do.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2019 at 1:00pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 7:06pm

I am in this for sure.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:06am

I have a few ideas , I'll see what I find in the bin

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 2:10am

I'm going to be working on mine today. I came up with the idea just last night before falling asleep. Good old hypnogogia Cheesy I think it might just work but I think I would want to make a "making of" video so it might be a while until you get to see my efforts.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 2:56pm

OK. So I tried using Blender to video edit and... Yeah that's going to take some studying before I can use it. For now I'll stick to the default video editor which is terrible but I know how to use it Cheesy

I suddenly remembered I hadn't done this video so I thought I would finally get round to it. Now, the question is, have I cheated? I'll leave you guys to judge that. I can always come up with another sling if this is deemed cheating. I still need to do a video showing it being tested so let's hope the weather improves enough not to ruin my camera if I take it outside.

https://youtu.be/QLazuzoaYog

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 9:42am

well if you used a used bag - definitely counts Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 10:18am

Nice!
Blender is a pain, but once you figure it out it’s a great program... especially for the price Smiley
When Blender 2.8 came out, I had to re-learn everything because they completely rearranged the menus.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 1:48pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 4th, 2020 at 9:42am:
well if you used a used bag - definitely counts Smiley

A very used bag in fact. It had been used to transport some cut pieces of pine which had been left in the bag a bit long and started getting moldy. Pine resin, mold, moisture and dirt. Very fun to work with I can tell you...

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 4th, 2020 at 10:18am:
Nice!
Blender is a pain, but once you figure it out it’s a great program... especially for the price Smiley
When Blender 2.8 came out, I had to re-learn everything because they completely rearranged the menus.

I'll have to devote some time to it this year. For now, the default one is good enough, but I would like to make some nicer videos.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, LightSlinger, Rat Man)