Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many slings do you use regularly? (Read 1479 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
How many slings do you use regularly?
Oct 21st, 2019 at 11:39am

I’ve asked before about how many slings people make or how many you own. Now I want to know... how many do you actually use, and how often?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: How many slings do you use regularly?
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 12:29pm

I have one from JudoP that is, in my mind, my "main" sling that I use for rocks and tennis balls.. I have one from C_A that I also use a lot and have in my coat pocket at all times. Another one I carry around a lot but haven't had much chance to use yet is a seat belt sling from vetryan. The two Tibetan AmdoCraft slings I use a lot, but really only in winter. Good for snowball slinging. The very first paracord sling I made I also bust out from time to time, mostly for rock slinging at the cottage where I first learned to sling Cheesy I have a super simple paracord sling that I use with the dogs when we are looking after them.

As you can see, most of the slings I use aren't actually made by me Cheesy I do have a lot of other slings though, including my own ones, that I rotate through and pull out for the heck of it now and again, but those listed above are the main group.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 1:10pm

I'd say two.  Both are just paracord with leather pouches.  One I use at home, the other stays in my truck.  All my braided slings are probably in the same range for use.  If I'm using one of those, I just grab whatever I feel like using at the time.  A lot will depend on if I'm target slinging, or just having some fun with distance slinging.  Like Kick, I have a few Amdo Craft slings that come out in the winter.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 7:56pm

I use two types
My balearics for heavier ammo (4+ oz) and a seat belt sling for every thing else. USED to sling at least every other day, but now maybe a few times a month Huh

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 10:58pm

I guess I should answer my own question...

I have about 5 slings in rotation at any time, and the specific slings change over time. I know you’re supposed to be consistent, but my goal is not to improve my personal accuracy but to improve the sling designs. I am always playing with experimental designs to make the next sling better than the last.  Once it’s “perfect“, I’ give it away and shift to the next idea.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 4:21am

Realistically 1. For all my target based or hunting applications.
I have a total of 6 slings that I will use time to time.
1 is purely decorative , and 5 fully functional .
1 is my go to.
1 of the 5 remains on my key ring and that's probally my second most used, but this is really when I'm not expecting to sling. A little spare time here and there. The remaining 3 don't get used all that often, and come out when I'm showing others how to sling . 1 is a new sling I made last week and 2 are gifts with 1 from the SITH.
My sling from the SITH is great but has a loud cracker and counteracts my desire for sling hunting.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 6:58am

At the moment 2.
my short target sling and a long one i use for dogs and tennis balls.
I can throw the length of a football pitch easily with that one.

Imdo need to make one slightly longer than my edc for 20 metre with tennis balls.

The idea is to adjust the slings so that I can target shoot with exactly the same power and motion every time.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 12:14pm

I used to sling twice a day every day.  These days I've slowed down.  I sling occasionally.  There are three or four slings that I usually use.  I like a modified pj with an elongated pouch, a diamond shaped pouch sling that timann made for me, a double barrel sling that I made, (original design), or a TS3.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 9:15pm

Haven't been slinging in a long time but someday that will change and it will be glorious. In the past I would only ever use one sling. If I made another one I would use it and see how I liked it. It either replaced the previous or was traded/gifted. Usually a sling would have just the right type/thickness of leather and it would get used to the point of wearing through the pouch.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2019 at 2:35am

Same as Morphy for myself. One sling for months-years until I lost it or tried to improve on it slightly. That being said, I somehow have around 40-50 slings but primarily, I try to stick to one and I think it makes consistency in accuracy easier to obtain.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2019 at 6:59am

I constantly cycle through new ones when I'm slinging, I always like to try out my newest designs.

Some are constant fixtures though, there's a seatbelt-ish sling which is my go-to for range shooting. Also my sisal apache for general purpose shooting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)