Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Were Your Dreams? (Read 1260 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
What Were Your Dreams?
Oct 19th, 2019 at 8:47pm

This is a spinoff of Morphy's "Did You Follow Your Dreams" thread.  What were your dreams?  What did you want to do with your life?
     When I was  a kid for many years I wanted to be an Entomologist. I was fascinated with insects.  I could tell you anything and everything about them.  From my teens on I wanted to be a successful musician/singer.  I got close a few times but things always fell through. 
    These days my goal is to hit the lottery.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: What Were Your Dreams?
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 9:31pm

Initially I wanted to be a vetrenarian as I love animals so much. Then I realized how many animals I would have to put down because people didn't want to mess with them or spend money on their treatment and that quickly absolved me of any desire to be a vet.

For a long time I've wanted to be a park ranger. That sounds like the perfect job for someone such as me. It wasnt my dream per se but it sounds great. That's one thing I've struggled with for a long time. I never really had a burning desire to do just one thing. But those are a few things that at one time really appealed to me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 10:32pm

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 11:01pm

Mike Rowe is an american treasure. That man is humble and wise and hilarious.

Damnit NOOC now I have to binge dirty jobs again! Not cool bro. Not cool.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 2:03pm

see this is the real problem.
I've never really had one goal in life.
well there was the become a biochemist and develop an immortality serum.
Pretty much always wanted to live forever - still do.
Ad I'm pretty sure I know how to do it.

But discovered at college, that you can't do that kind of research without killing an awful lot of animals, in fairly nasty ways.
So that went by the wayside.
Then thought I'd be an author.
Man is that a hard gig to make a living in.
Got fair bit of stuff published in the late 80's early 90's in small press magazines and couple short stories on hardback compilations.

But I lack the day to day discipline to ever make a living at it.

And pretty much stumbled from one thing to another - based on which of my pastimes I could make money from.
Been doing the  computer thing for about 25 years. That's petty much died a death this year.
So currently starting out anew as 3d printing consultant and 'making and selling stuff on a laser guy'.
My wood working and 3d printing skills complement this really well - so there's definite promise.

Did the first craft fair this weekend.
Not really the right type of crowd as the fair was in a garden centre.
But we didn't make a loss and learnt a whole bunch of stuff.
And I'm now 'the guy who wears the horned viking helmet'.
Well for one thing it kept my head warm, and for another - figured any gimmick is worth a try if people remember you and what you do.
Weirdly almost nobody commented on it.
There was me thinking it would also be a conversation starter - nope.
But it's a thing now and I'll stick to it Smiley

We're back there 16th & 17th november for their christmas fair - for which we will be fully stocked with christmas stuff.

The cheap stuff I thought would sell - didn't, still puzzled by that to be honest.
I'll have a card and contactless payment machine running by the next one (soon as bastard paypal show me how me where to upload the 'who are you' verifiCation info to).

More importantly got some cards handed out and did a fast overnight custom job for someone, and that kind of thing is worth gold in 'word of mouth' currency.

All in all could have gone better, could have gone worse.
I'm still in the nascent stages of 'man makes things with fire' laser area.
So a whole bunch of stuff to learn and try, lots of marketing to do locally.

But I can see it really working.
With one thing and another it's been a shitty year, so it's pleasant to have something to look forward to Smiley

So am i following a dream ?
well I've always made and sold things and I really enjoy making and selling things, and I have that perfectionist gene that means I won't sell something I don't think is aas good as I can make it.

I guess as I'm not going to live forever (but I'll damn well die in the attempt !) making and selling stuff is probably as close as I'll get.

At some point I'll finish at least one of the three novels that have been on the go for the last 30 years. And I'll be an overnight sensation and stinking rich ! (these are dreams, remember Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Waspfarmer
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 6:23pm

I'm glad I was absolved of being a vet with one poor cow's prolapsed vagina reinsertion video. No mention of what prolapsed it in the first place, but I'm solidly on birth.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 9:06pm

@CA
I’m surprised you haven’t gotten into building Wordpress sites. That’s a fairly natural extension of the computer business and there’s still quite a bit of demand. The writing industry is a lot different now too. You can build your own audience on social media and sell print-on-demand books without a big publisher or contract.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 9:23pm

@Morphy,
I may live vicariously through you on that one. When I try to binge watch anything it still takes me months. That’s just life with young children in the house I suppose. My free time is between 9PM and midnight, and that’s all my time for dishes, laundry, showers, stalking this forum, and sling-making too!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 7:35am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Oct 20th, 2019 at 9:06pm:
@CA
I’m surprised you haven’t gotten into building Wordpress sites. That’s a fairly natural extension of the computer business and there’s still quite a bit of demand. The writing industry is a lot different now too. You can build your own audience on social media and sell print-on-demand books without a big publisher or contract.

I actually hate any online web building software. I still do my websites the old fashioned way. I write them off line and then upload, That way I have total control.

The thing is I spend so much time sat at computers anyway - that I just don't want to go anywhere near them if I don't have to.

Plus i lack discipline. I work best under extreme pressure and really short deadlines Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 7:59am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 21st, 2019 at 7:35am:
I work best under extreme pressure and really short deadlines Smiley

LOL. In that case, you could have a long and fulfilling career as a skirmisher! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)