Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2 Bows I made (Read 1270 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

2 Bows I made
Oct 9th, 2019 at 5:13pm

https://youtu.be/lVCu9-lo8S8

P.S.: share , like and comment on my channel so it may grow, it may create opportunities for bigger things.

Black locust has lovely color and cypress nice odor

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: 2 Bows I made
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 8:47pm

Nice job.  Good looking bows!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 8:55pm

Very nice sir!  This, as well as the photos walter has posted in recent months of his bow, definitely make me want to get back in to bow making.  My last one was probably 4 or 5 years ago.

Just curious about one thing.  On the black locust bow you have that little step near the ends where they start to narrow.  It looks very cool, but is this not just adding mass near the tips?  Does this bow have any hand shock?  I'm also curious if you saw a design like that somewhere.  Like I said, it looks very cool.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:29pm

Your bows look good Sarosh! The heavier bow sounds like it hits pretty hard too. How long and wide is it? Does it have much set? Bet you can't make just two Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 2:30am

Thanks guys!
joe_meadmaker wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 8:55pm:
On the black locust bow you have that little step near the ends where they start to narrow.  It looks very cool, but is this not just adding mass near the tips?  Does this bow have any hand shock?  I'm also curious if you saw a design like that somewhere.

the Black locust bow has much more hand shock than the cypress bow, both shooting the same arrows which is not a good idea...
I'm not sure what creates more handshock the knots/ that step/the tip shape? I could try and work the tips narrower/shorter but I reached the point where it's better to leave it as it is and move on another bow between the knots the working bow limb is at its narrowest and that was the guide for the resulting poundage.

That step is like the fades of a bow handle but with a harder change. It's the transition between working to stiff limb , inspired by the overall shape of the holmegaard bow.
the wood between the knots required a big amount of  sideways dry heat bending and the holmegaard tips helped to center the string.

to make the step I measured width and thickness of working portion of the limb before the stiff limb and calculated the new thickness width it needed to have the same "strength" and then made the step plus a (~1cm)short length, thick and wide for safe transition. It's like a digital transition rather than an analog transition.

walter wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:29pm:
How long and wide is it? Does it have much set? Bet you can't make just two

182cm (71.65")long, 3.2cm (~1.26")wide, set: 5cm(~2") knotty limb, 4cm(1.57") the other

the black locust tree has been cut and seasoned there are 3 bow staves waiting for me.
I do a lot of bows and other hobby projects at the same time they never finish  Tongue . last bows I paused constructing was an experiment with linen backing w/ hide glue and siyahs .

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 8:40am

Looks really good my question is what is the building in the background.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 8:57am

ghost0311-8541 wrote on Oct 10th, 2019 at 8:40am:
my question is what is the building in the background.

I think it's a concrete water tank, there is access to the water from the top, with stones around it to make it look like a building. I wonder why would anyone get into so much trouble to make it look like this.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 1:32pm

To make it blend in we the terrain.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:30pm

Nice Job Sarosh. Is the locust sinew backed?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 3:02am

@
Morphy

no , it's linen backed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)