Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Did you follow your dreams? (Read 1360 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Did you follow your dreams?
Oct 8th, 2019 at 7:43pm

"Follow you dreams" is advice I've often heard. I think for those it works out for it's so compelling it makes the rest of us want to. But is it really a smart way to go? What do you think?

A less common phrase I've heard, and probably more on point, "When you get paid for your hobby it becomes work."

Which direction did you go? Did you follow your dreams? Did it work out for you? If not, do you regret it or have you come to love what you do?

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: Did you follow your dreams?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 7:52pm

I did when I was younger and not married with children now I am also bunddy lol but still would not trade it for the world.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 8:29pm

I did when I was younger and not married with children now I am also bunddy lol but still would not trade it for the world.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:36pm

Smart way? Cannot imagine ignoring my inner drummer. Always have. Easy for me cause I am not a respecter of money or people.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 3:53am

I will report back in 20 years to this thread.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 5:50am

Seems too early too say for me. Saying that though, so far I've found myself able to get comfortable just about anywhere I end up. It's a blessing and a curse I think. On the one hand, I adjust quickly but, on the other, I get complacent and don't take action to change situations. I am the embodiment of the meme of the dog in a burning house saying "This is fine".

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 6:04am

This I have not, I have basically done the opposite .
I should have , I'm now at the age where many of the things I wanted/dreamt of are outside of my reach. I have a few things left but in general I've let myself down.
Several of my friends made "leaps of faith" to follow their dreams , I would say more often than not they are successful .
I guess that's where I fell short , I was always worried and never gave it a good chance . Maybe I should really try to do the last few I have left before they also are out of my reach

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 7:07am

We're all heading to the same place eventually and in 5 billion years the Sun is going to expand and annihilate the entire planet into atomic dust, shooting it out into space. Knowing this can be good for just not caring and going for it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 7:23am

There's an older movie called Field of Dreams which I absolutely love. It's all about following your dreams at the risk of everything. Interestingly enough there is one character in the movie that did just the opposite. He tried to make baseball his career but instead only played one game and ended up not cutting it. He decided he couldn't live with going down to the minors so he left and became a medical doctor.

In the movie the character ends up saying that playing professional ball was his dream but actually if he had only been a doctor for one day that would've been the true tragedy.

My point in saying this is sometimes we follow our dreams and sometimes our dreams end up finding us whether we know it at the time it not.

I did not follow a dream. I literally never knew what I wanted to do. But I enjoy my career and most of all enjoy helping others. So I feel pretty good about how things ended up. I will just have to make primitive weapons and live like a savage on the side.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 7:57pm

I can't say that I followed my dreams.  I did what was necessary.  That said, I've lived a very full life of varied and unique experiences.  I've done many things that most will never do.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 9:09pm

I think my answer is similar to Morphy’s. I’m probably one of the few people who gets paid well to do a job that I would probably do for free if it wasn’t my job.  But then again, my “hobby” is to run a business with my wife on my free time, so I guess I’m doing it all backwards. I would say my life is a dream come true of sorts, but I didn’t know that this was how my life would go and I certainly didn’t plan it all out like this.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 9:32pm

I think some people's dreams pay better than others.  Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 12:15pm

nope.

That's it really lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)