Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Favorite Childhood toys? (Read 2958 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Favorite Childhood toys?
Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:40pm

RM's mention of the trampoline got me thinking. My cousins had a trampoline that their kids are now using. It's been well loved and well used. Many (if not most) toys in the US get played with briefly and then discarded before eventually winding up in a garage sale or garbage.

But for all the toys I had growing up I think my two favorites were a toy winchester (it made noise but didn't shoot anything) and top shooter.

I've never seen a topshooter like it since. The bottoms of the tops had a gear and the shooter had a long straight toothed rack that meshed with the gear. So you loaded up the tops, then shoved the handle forward, this made the gear (and so the top) spin until it was ejected. The action was a quick back and forth to shoot all 4 and watch them spin. That was great. I loved it.

How about you, what were your favorite toys?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Favorite Childhood toys?
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:37pm

Back in ancient times when I was a child there were no such things as politically incorrect toys. Consequently one Christmas morning little Rat Man got a missile base.  It had all of the missiles of the day on spring loaded launching platforms.  Little Rat Man was ready to conduct thermo nuclear war.  That Christmas my sister Susan, rest her soul, got a very elaborate doll house, a triple decker, loaded with all of the furniture and trappings a  girl could ever want.  You can probably figure out what I declared war on. 
     Another toy I had was a Remco's Bazooka.  It was a big plastic spring loaded bazooka which shot these fairly substantial  plastic fake rocket  projectiles.  Their fronts were rounded but they still had enough weight, velocity, and range to bring a tear to your little sisters eye if you caught her in the forehead. 
    You can't buy toys like these today.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2019 at 8:07pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:44am

I wasnt allowed to have a trampoline,  or use one too much, as when i was around 10, i broke my wrist on a friend's trampoline. But i had a ton of legos, creppy crawlers, and over stretched strech Armstrong a few to many times. But around 10 i got my first paintball gun, played that for 20 years,  ended up beimg a referee up at a huge paintball place in PA. Loved it.wish i didnt have to give it up,

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 6:18am

Probably my meccano set.
I used to make fighting 'robots'. Very basic but functional.
And they and actuion man would have fights.
Guess that says a lot more about me than the toys Smiley

I more or less switched from toys to books around 11 or so.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:21am

Mine was a bb gun and hunting knife against my dad's wishes my mom got if for me and I loved them both my mom was hard core.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:36am

NES and rollerblades. Good times!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:54am

I got one of my favorite toys BECAUSE it was politically incorrect Cheesy The local kindergarten (I've translated for the Americans, it was called PlayGroup) had an amazing, hand-made wooden castle. I had already grown up and gone to school but my sisters were still going to the group and my mum was very friendly with the people that ran it because she's friends with everyone. They were clearing out all their "violent" toys and somehow I ended up with it. I loved that castle and many a battle was waged. Unfortunately, due to its influence, I am now a raging psychopath with a long history of violence...
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:10pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 1:20pm

My parents were always against me having anything too... for want of a better word... weapon-like. Very 90s parenting style. For some reason I loved anything weapon-like, even if I was always a very peaceable kid (still do, and still am  Cheesy)

Luckily they left me alone with my granddad for a morning and I returned from an army surplus store with a knife and a slingshot (yes- actually a slingshot, not a misnamed sling). Still got them, and I used the knife to craft javelins and other things.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 1:57pm

my toy winchester was definitely procured against my mother's wishes  Grin

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:41pm

had use of the family air pistol from a very early age Smiley
Well as soon as I was old enough to hold and cock it.
A 1960s german made 'original' .22
I had the spring changed about 20 years ago and it's still around factory spec.
Lets put it this way, wood pigeons at the end of the garden, in the ash tree (about 40 metres) don't hang around. With a 22 pellet it won't penetrate at that range, but it will give them a bruise to remember Smiley

That thing is only a few years younger than I am. Knowing my dad he'd have bought it new.

I did have my spud gun confiscated when I tried to take my sister's eye out with it whistle

That was a great bit of kit. Rather than air pressure it actually used those red plastic caps to shoot the potato pellet. Basically an actual Firearm.

Yeah catapults we used to make, crappy bows, spears etc.
Mind you, even as a sprog I always preferred a club Smiley

Or chinese firecrackers, I've never been subtle - explosives and clubs, all day long:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:15pm

My little brother and I had lots of lego, plastic animals, and fantasy, there was no limit to how we coul combine this.  And, my father was 50 when I was born, he had 4 remaining sisters, my stange and strong willed aunts, of which 1 had a boyfriend.  These people had a lot of old knowledge, of climbing in trees and cliffs, making and using (crappy, as Curious Aardwark would say) bows and arrows, javelins, simple crossbows, and whatnot.   We whittled stuff all the time, I would say whittling knives was my favorite childhood toys. 
Also, the aunts made sure books was always available, I guess they scourged flee markets to keep them flowing in. 
Also, there was some air rifles around.  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 8:08pm

Morphy wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:36am:

NES?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 8:42pm

Rat Man wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 8:08pm:
Morphy wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:36am:

NES?

Nintendo Entertainment System  Cheesy

I saw legos mentioned.  That was a big one for me too.  Nintendo as well, but not right when they came out.  My family wasn't the best off financially when I was young, so Nintendo was out for a few years before we got one.  I liked action figures a lot.  Had A-Team, He-Man, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles mostly.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 9:49pm

The original Nintendo. All 8 bits of glorious gaming. I also didn't have one till later. My older brother got one and I would watch him play it. Eventually I got my own and loved it.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 7:23pm

Nintendo and Atari... I was already an adult when these came out.  Blips was the first video game I remember. You batted a little white light  projectile back and forth across the screen. You were either playing tennis or ping pong.  In that there were no other video games at the time we found this adequate, believe it or not... hard to imagine now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)