Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Is morality a social construct?

It's objective because it's self-evident.    
  5 (45.5%)
It's subjective; we create it.    
  6 (54.5%)

Total votes: 11
« Created by: Morphy on: Oct 2nd, 2019 at 9:22am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Is morality a social construct? (Read 8692 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Is morality a social construct?
Reply #60 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 3:44pm

@
Morphy

I don't need to believe in god heaven or hell to see a mistake as an opportunity to learn. If mistakes aren't evil then there is no reason to prevent them, there is no need for hell or judgement. If then you say mistakes can be evil then see the picture above.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #61 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 3:46pm

Call people flat earthers for saying "it depends what the definitions are, that's why this argument has not settled the matter" and they have emotional reactions? Who would have thought?

Now quick "I didn't call you a flat earther, you're getting emotional!"

This is not rational discussion. This is trolling. And that is tiresome.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #62 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 3:53pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Oct 12th, 2019 at 3:46pm:
Call people flat earthers for saying "it depends what the definitions are, that's why this argument has not settled the matter" and they have emotional reactions? Who would have thought?

Now quick "I didn't call you a flat earther, you're getting emotional!"

This is not rational discussion. This is trolling. And that is tiresome.

I didn't call you flat earther I said your argument is not good because it can be used by anyone with true or false basis . I didn't know that flatearther was such a big insult.

please try and argue against my first point , not only what you find insulting.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #63 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 4:24pm

Sarosh wrote on Oct 12th, 2019 at 3:44pm:
@
Morphy

I don't need to believe in god heaven or hell to see a mistake as an opportunity to learn.

I don't recall suggesting otherwise.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #64 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 5:09pm

Of course you didn't Morphy. He is trolling.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #65 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 6:22pm

Ok well if you didn't see it either PS I'm not going to bother with responding to that. I've spent most of the last 30 hours with patients on an ambulance and I'm too tired to sort all this out.

I'm going to take a step back for a bit. I want to thank everyone for their thoughts. I love hearing other people's  opinions and whether we differed or not I really enjoy hearing the variety of different beliefs we have here.

That being said hopefully someone can shift the track of this thread to something more productive.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #66 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 7:04pm

wow if you think I'm trolling then I'm very bad at expressing myself. Huh
Sorry for any insults and maybe being cynical with my arguments.
Thanks for the valid arguments for or against morality, nice discussion. I guess I should stop posting to this topic , it would be good for both parties.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #67 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 8:36pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Oct 12th, 2019 at 5:09pm:
Of course you didn't Morphy. He is trolling.

Don’t be so quick to write Sarosh off PS. He’s been expressing personal opinions, not trolling. Trolling implies that someone is saying things that they don’t actually believe for the purpose of goading others and disrupting the conversation. I don’t think that’s what Sarosh was doing, so please don’t be so dismissive.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2019 at 1:12pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #68 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 10:01am

Hitler.
Ok Godwin’s law is now complete.
(https://tinyurl.com/coft5ex )
Now we can move on to less controversial topics like politics, Glocks vs 1911s, or the Dallas Cowboys.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #69 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 12:10pm

Dallas Cowboys are a basketball team right?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #70 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 1:49pm

If you’re a Cowboys fan, they’re the best basketball team that ever lived!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #71 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 3:09pm

I watched game one Astros v Yankees the other night. Hitler pitched a hell of a game.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #72 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 9:57pm

Thanks a lot Morphy. You invoked Hitler again, and now we can’t talk about baseball either!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)