Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winged or Bladed Sling Glandes (Read 1873 times)
Steven_M._Peffley
Tiro

Pennsylvania Coal Region
Winged or Bladed Sling Glandes
Sep 30th, 2019 at 7:00pm

Hello Everyone,

By now, most here are aware of the odd glandes found on Cyprus, that have a sharp-edged bronze insert with lead cast around/through it, and presenting an oval-shaped blade whose ends protrude fore and aft. The attached image is a sketch that a friend made from memory of a photo he saw of a Medieval Persian glan with crescent blades at either end. Has anyone else ever seen/heard of such, and if so, are there photos? Also, any other winged/bladed glandes other than the Cypriot examples? Thanks for any info.

If you kill them at a distance, you won't have to dance with them.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Winged or Bladed Sling Glandes
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 2:25am

I haven't seen any like that. Just for me, I would worried that it would snag on the pouch. Wouldn't want something like that rebounding...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 6:09am

new one on me.
Pointy bits and a slim blade would make sense but those crescent blades would actually make the missile less effective.
If they were slightly skewed then it would be a different matter, but as they are - it's not a good design.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven_M._Peffley
Tiro

Pennsylvania Coal Region
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 6:56am

The extremely curved crescent blades didn't look right to me; somewhat less, more like a rigging cutter arrowhead, would be better. Possibly if the ends were past the edges of the pouch? And "slightly skewed" which way, Aardvark?

If you kill them at a distance, you won't have to dance with them.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 7:28am

I think that bladed glandes are very interesting, can't see them being better for war, more time cost etc and minimal improvement if any in damage , but I feel for hunting maybe they would have a reason. Perhaps , just a thought .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 9:04am

Being effective in war is definitely not a criteria for its existence. Never underestimate the human propensity for gimmicks and making things “just because we can”.

It could be the ancient version of this stuff:
http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/12_Gauge.html

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 10:28am

Some of those rounds are terrifying just to read Cheesy But yeah it's very true. Gimmicks have been around for as long as we have. Reminds me of the "combination" weapons that look absolutely bizarre and are quite possibly useless.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 5:08pm

I wouldn't trust that that not to get caught in the pouch on release with some hilariously bloody hijinks surely to follow.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 6:39am

Hello,
I want to see a photo before say anything ! I want to believe the memory of your friend but Morphy's remark is wise.
After why not a glande ?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 7:43am

Steven_M._Peffley wrote on Oct 1st, 2019 at 6:56am:
The extremely curved crescent blades didn't look right to me; somewhat less, more like a rigging cutter arrowhead, would be better. Possibly if the ends were past the edges of the pouch? And "slightly skewed" which way, Aardvark?

both slightly offset to create a screw effect. that would both help the missile fly and drill into whatever they impacted on.

I'd also make the glande body wider than the blades for ease of launching.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)