Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A nice tool for sling making (Read 892 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

A nice tool for sling making
Sep 12th, 2019 at 2:57pm

My brother gave me one of these hand cranked drills that he found in a thrift shop. It is quite old and made in West Germany. With wood drill bits it is the ultimate tool for drilling holes in thick leather or other belting materials. You get very clean and even holes that are unlikely to tear.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: A nice tool for sling making
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 3:59pm

That's the first time I hear of this application for drill Grin Do you clamp it between two pieces of wood or do you drill it just "freehand"?

I typically use one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_punch#/media/File:Lochzange.jpeg

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 2:16am

I clamp my leather securely to a table, use a piece of hardboard between the table and leather.
When the point of the wood drill bit has just passed through on the other side, I flip the leather around and drill from the other side.
I bought some cheap drill bits that I only use for leather. They stay very sharp and drill easily.  It barely takes any effort to drill holes.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 7:04am

those are neat.
But since I bought a decent cordless drill a couple of years ago - I'm amazed at how many things I use it for.
Particularly useful for reaming out holes in 3d prints when I print really fast (most of the time).

And with the cordless drill I can holkd the thing with my other hand at the same time.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 2:56pm

I use a device like the one Teg linked.  I've used a drill before but the leather got a little chewed up.  That may have been something with the bit I was using or the leather itself though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Chris)