Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First attempt at Balearic-ish slings (Read 3151 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: First attempt at Balearic-ish slings
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 8:13am

Jaegoor wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 6:38am:
Ich beginne am Auge mit 12. Das lege ich zusammen auf 24.
Am Brief teile ich auf. 12 links und zwölf rechts.
Pro Seite nehme ich weitere 12 dazu.
Am Bauch komme ich auf insgesamt 48
Das Geflecht ist haltbarer weil die einzelnen Stränge schon gezwirnt sind. Das Geflecht ist dazu sehr dicht.
Original Balearic Slings werden aus einer rohen Faser geflochten. Diese brechen innerhalb des geflechts nach einiger Zeit. Bei mir ungefähr nach einem Jahr.
Mein eigenes Modell hält dagegen seit 8jahren.
Ich schieße im Monat etwa 1000 Schuß. Manchmal etwas mehr, manchmal etwas weniger. Das einzige was ich regelmäßig wechseln muß, ist die schallzunge.
Und auf meinem Brief ist kein Leder.
Meine sling ist mit Bienenwachs getränkt.
Über die Jahre sieht es aus wie Leder. Ist aber keins.

What material do you use Jaegoor?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 8:29am

Hanf ist mein bevorzugtes Material. 😁
Ich suche zur Zeit Schnur aus esparto.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 12:41pm

I've actually never used hemp, shall have to order some and give it a go.

My current number 1 natural material is sisal cord- deconstructed, soaked, dried then braid. I really like it, but it's a rather slow process to create and leaves sisal fibre all over the carpet!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:49pm

@Judo
What does the soaking do for the sisal? Is that just to get rid of the curl in the deconstructed cords?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:54pm

Es macht Sisal weicher.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:02pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:49pm:
@Judo
What does the soaking do for the sisal? Is that just to get rid of the curl in the deconstructed cords?

It does get rid of that mostly, it changes the character of the fibre to make it a lot less springy and frizzy, which translates to a more flexible and clean looking sling. There is also weird glue stuff on it which probably doesn't help.

The effect of water at different points in construction does vary quite a bit. If you complete a sisal sling, then soak it, it will become extremely stiff (you could basically stand it up) then very loose and springy when it dries which is not ideal. You can sort of get around this by drying under tension, or by forcefully stretching the sling- (you will probably need to keep doing this as it tends to regain springyness over time). So its not great, but probably better than sisal without water applied especially if you use thick cord which minimizes the negative effects.

If instead, you soak the cords then let them dry before braiding (they will probably unravel into component cords) then braid with them- you get a nice sling which is slightly stiff (much less than sisal untreated though), but feels bulletproof.

Personally I go one step further and soak/dry under tension this material. This produces a flexible and tough, but entirely non-springy material, which also doesn't seem to lose it's stiffness over time (like the regular cord ones do) so far as I've experienced its got the flexibility of something like jute but can handle much more punishment and just feels nicer.

You do see some people making balearic slings with fibre that is wet during construction, this does make it a bit easier and the resulting sling is lovely and soft but in my experience this causes excessive looseness/springyness, even when braided as tight as I possibly can do.

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #21 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 12:31am

@
Jaegoor

thanks for answering. Great looking sling btw

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick)