Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Short slings are cool. (Read 1803 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Short slings are cool.
Sep 7th, 2019 at 12:13pm

Throwing with a 40 cm sling in tight quarters at short distances. Projectiles are 120g balloons filled with sand, or 'rusty ovals' in this case.  Accuracy is much easier than throwing a longer sling even at this short distance. Bush or other objects that don't allow a full power throw with a longer sling results in a weak throw. The short sling is not hindered by it and can utilize its full power. It packs quite a punch.  I think it is the best self defense sling because of these characteristics.

Of course, in an open field without any hindrances, you immediately feel how easier it is to get power and distance from a longer sling. But for distances sub 10-20 meters and in a place with many hindrances around you? You immediately feel how much easier it is to get power and accuracy with a short sling. Give it a try.

We should call them ''forest slings'' because of their effectiveness in limiting spaces.

Ok, idea for next video: slinging in a forest  Smiley

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Re: Short slings are cool.
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 11:41pm

I agree

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 12:45am

Short slings are cool indeed!

I'm surprised more people don't realize this.

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 1:26am

I agree short slings are very useful , most of mine are around 15 in \39 cm ,I shoot in my backyard most of the time and their perfect for that and  when I do get to the nearby frisbee golf park I'm always impressed by the range it can achieve

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 4:58am

Greenjay wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 1:26am:
I agree short slings are very useful , most of mine are around 15 in
9 cm ,I shoot in my backyard most of the time and their perfect for that and  when I do get to the nearby frisbee golf park I'm always impressed by the range it can achieve

40 cm slings are the backyard plinkers of the slinging world.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 9:57am

That’s pretty impressive!  I’ve noticed that short slings tend to be good for vertically oriented throwing styles like underhanded, but I am more accurate with longer ones when throwing sidearm or Byzantine. Either way I guess I’m going to have to spend more time making some really short slings now.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 3:41pm

Short slings are so convenient. 24 inch slings are all I use. The only time I would use a longer one is on those rare occasions I want to sling for distance.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 6:03pm

Sierra Nevada slings average 20". I braided mine 18", which is a bit short.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:46am

I manage to throw gravel about 90 meters with my 40 cm sling, but with definite more strain on my arms compared to using a longer sling. Still, that's pretty decent

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 8:11pm

I like quality slings, ones in between the boundaries. Because then it is at its best, decent accuracy without any shortage of range or power.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:46am

It's the reason modern balearic slings are usually pretty short.
For 20 - 30 metres you just don't need a longer sling.

We did discover this year that most local competitions in ibiza are held with just the 2 round of 5 shots.
1 round at 20 metres and 1 at 30 metres.

I hit absolutely NOTHING at either distance that day. Smiley

Excellent slinging in the video too !

Is that a counter clockwise windup ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 2:50pm

Same windup direction as the in Balearic slingers on YouTube

I did some more slinging with a 40 cm sling today. Hit the 40 by 40cm plate at 25 meters on the second try. Did about 30 more shots, none hit but many landed close, I am satisfied. Slinging at this distance is really fun.

I made 10, 120g rusty balls recently and these work great. The consistently and good shaped ammo must also really contribute to the feeling of better control.  I am really starting to like 120g projectiles, the weight just feels right.

Sling I use is made of 3mm paracord, two 2 thick leather but flexible straps. Aussie pouch but not glued together or anything. I find the simple small overhand knot on the end to work best, without any loose fibers. I get my leather from belts from thrift stores. I use a very tight fingerloop.  This sling slings so nice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)