Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Super lightweight and compact modular dyneema slings for sale or trade (Read 9207 times)
GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Super lightweight and compact modular dyneema slings for sale or trade
Sep 5th, 2019 at 3:17pm

Hi. After a bit of experimentation with different sling designs, I've settled on the woven split pouch as my preferred sling. It accommodates large and small projectiles equally well, I find it to be very accurate as it is minimally cupped, it is highly durable not just because of the material I use but also because the cords can be easily replaced and swapped, and it is very easy to keep with you due to the light weight and minimal size. With a small tool like a pocket knife screwdriver attachment you can easily swap between different cords when out in the field, just takes a few minutes.

It is based on the instructions here by Matthias, my thanks to him and others that have contributed in that thread - http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168848146

For my current favourite variation I weave it from 1mm dyneema, and use 1.8mm for the cords, and 0.36mm for the whipping. The whipping is fishing line that moves from blue to light blue to white and back again, so I use lengths of the particular colours to more easily identify different lengths of cord, white being the longer ranges and blue being close for me.

I've found that the design seems very durable so far, there is minimal wear on the edges of the pouch, which is something I've noticed with more cupped designs. The release cord takes the brunt of the impact, but the 1.8mm dyneema will hold for quite some time, and can be easily re-whipped or replaced. It's quite difficult to cut this stuff, UHMWPE (dyneema is a brand name) is used in artificial joints, so incredibly tough for how light it is. I've put hundreds if not thousands of rocks through the above slings, and apart from the black dye on the surface of the fibres wearing off they really don't seem to be damaged yet, and I expect them to last for a long time yet.

Initially I tried making this design with thicker cordage, a version with 1.3mm can be seen above (3). Personally I prefer the thinner and more lightweight pouches made with the 1mm. When moving to the 1mm cordage I found that adding an additional warp on each side for 10 total helped to make it wider and compensate for using the thinner cordage. The No.3 with 1.3mm is a little heavier and chunkier, and will presumably last a little longer, and might suit those looking for a heavier sling.

In the top image No.1 is my latest sling using 10 warps, No. 2 is using 8 and is a little thinner. Both work fine generally, but I prefer the slightly wider pouch for a shorter sling and larger ammo, I use the thinner No. 2 for a longer sling and it works great. No. 3 with the 1.3mm is 8 warps.

The measurements for No.1 are: about 35mm in the widest part across in the middle, 16mm width for each split side, the split is about 73mm before the two sides are rejoined, and 170mm long for the whole pouch body. I don't have access to accurate scales, but I believe they are only a few grams with cords attached, maybe around 5 grams or less.

For the retention cord I like to use a double loop knot and put my index and middle fingers through, this is very secure and comfortable. For the release knot I do an 'EStar' stopper knot with a additional pass back up to make it a little thicker and more even to hold.

I can offer it made to your spec; 1mm or 1.3mm pouch, 8 or 10 warps, with or without retention and release cords, multiple cords lengths (I like to do thumb to shoulder, centre of chest, and opposite shoulder), and knots/loops made to your preference and measurements.

I would be very happy to trade for another sling. I have yet to get into more traditional designs using natural materials, so I would love a nice natural sling, perhaps a Balearic or leather pouch, or something woven or knitted. I'd also be happy to exchange for money too. Keep in mind that making one of these is pretty much a full day's work, so considering the time taken and shipping cost of course I'd like a reasonably fair trade, whatever that might be Smiley

Thanks.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Super lightweight and compact modular dyneema slings for sale or trade
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 5:13pm

Nice looking slings , I love dyneema , my favorite by far.
What price would you be asking ??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 7:56pm

I’d be happy to do a trade with you if you’re interested. I typically make asymmetric leather pouch slings with jute, bamboo, or hemp cordage. Since the leather pouch doesn’t take as long to make as a woven one, I’ll even throw in a paracord monkey’s fist keychain like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq1Xw3csUk

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 8:59pm

Thanks Smiley  In terms of aesthetics and neatness I'm really pleased with my last couple (1+2), the 1.3mm one above (No. 3) is a little bit wonky. It takes a bit of time and care to tension the wefts evenly and not too tight as you progress, but keeping the wefts really close together so no holes appear in the weave after a bit of use. The way I do it now is to mark a line for the centre underneath, and measure with a ruler as I go along to try and keep both sides and ends the same, aiming for less than a mil variance. I think I've got the technique down pretty well now, looking forward to the next one Smiley

Hmm it's tricky for me to know what I should ask for in terms of a price. The materials probably only cost a few pounds, but it is a day's work to complete it, a bit less for the 1.3mm thick one. Also I've never sent anything to Australia before o_O

Errrr I'm going to say £35 for now? £28 for the thicker 1.3mm cordage pouch. Oh and that can include a few pairs of cords of different lengths too.

I'm conscious that three people have expressed interest so far, and I only have enough of the 1mm for three pouches... Tongue  I'll get some more though when I can.

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 9:16pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 5th, 2019 at 7:56pm:
I’d be happy to do a trade with you if you’re interested. I typically make asymmetric leather pouch slings with jute, bamboo, or hemp cordage. Since the leather pouch doesn’t take as long to make as a woven one, I’ll even throw in a paracord monkey’s fist keychain like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq1Xw3csUk

That sounds great Smiley  I could only find one pic of yours in the pictures thread, looks good. I tend to prefer a fairly shallow pouches I think, a nice leather sling would be great. I don't know what I would pick regarding the cordage material, something fairly abrasion resistant preferably as I like through a lot of rough rocks.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 10:38pm

Sounds good!  Here’s a picture of an asymmetric sling I made recently. That’s 4-strand jute round-braid on the cordage (around 2mm thick) and recycled leather from an old couch. If you want an independent review of my work, ask Kick. I just sent him one similar to this a month or two ago (I forgot to take a picture before it shipped off to Finland). A 4-strand hemp or bamboo would be a bit thinner.
The nice thing about asymmetric slings is that the release side of the pouch is flat and moves out of the way better than a symmetrical cupped pouch. You should get less wear on the cordage than a normal symmetrical sling, but no matter what, it’s definitely not going to be as wear resistant as dyneema.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 9:53am

Looks really nice, I can see the asymmetry now and can imagine it working really well.

Send me a PM with the specifications you want, cord lengths, how many sets of cords if you want short+medium+long etc, 8 or 10 warps, 1 or 1.3mm material for the pouch, and if you have any specific requests for the release and retention. For me I've figured out that the retention loop for my fingers should be about an inch longer than retention cord at the point of the knot, but I guess people probably prefer to hold a little differently.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 1:08am

Ok... the easy parts are done. Once the cords are done I’ll be ready to ship.

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 4:43pm

Lookin good.

I'm in process just now, getting Kick's done first then I'll be getting on to yours Smiley  It takes about 10m of cord for a pouch, so it takes a little while to weave.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 10:49am

Really nice sling and fair price for the amount of work and build quality. I'll be buying one....eventually. Posting here in hopes I remember a year from now. 😁

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 2:41am

Hey again all, sorry I've been absent for a bit, I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and haven't been able to sit down for too long. Just finishing up Kick's sling, then I'll crack one with Noone's Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 5:13am

Back problems are no joke. Don't injure yourself just for my sling Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 9:38pm

No rush.Please take care of that back. I’m still working on yours too.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 5:06pm

Ok GT... this took longer than I anticipated, but I think you’ll be happy with the results.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:18pm

By the way... if you look at that release cord pic , you may notice that it’s finished like a tiny bullwhip. It should make some nice cracking sounds when you sling with it Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)