Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tablet Question (Read 2123 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Tablet Question
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:44pm

I’m no Apple fanboy, but CA’s arguments are purely anecdotal, and I can pull the same trick... I’m typing this message on an iPhone 5, and Apple just released the 11th generation iPhone this month. I’ve dropped mine plenty, but a $20 case has protected my phone for years! 

@Morphy: If you’re considering a MS Surface, you might also look at the Lenovo Yoga series.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:30am

anecdotal = based on long professional experience as an it expert Smiley
Worked on most aspects of apple kit over the years. Even done data recovery, even there, they screw the customer.
The harddrive file system apple use has 2 layers.
Files are divided into categories and each category is stored in it's own large file.  IT means you can get a few more files on smaller discs - again a money saving tactic.
So when the index on the harddrive goes down (the most common issue with harddrives) all you can recover are the large files - what you can't do is get at any of the individual files you actually need.
Every single aspect of apple's setup is designed to screw the customer.
I did once recover files from an apple drive for someone that all her local pc people said couldn't be done. In that case the Index was fine, no idea why anyone else had problems with it.
I do know what I'm doing.

And as I said the older apple stuff - while still massively overpriced - was slightly better made.

Maybe jobs had a bit of a guilty conscience, the people running the company now - certainly don't.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 12:07am

I had been looking at the Lenova Yoga, specifically the Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd) gen just hours before you mentioned it NOOC. Nice looking machine and people rave about it. Price range is pretty good as well.

Only thing I've read bad about them is they can be delicate, some screen issues and poor customer service on returns. Still, every single machine has people with bad experiences who will tell you that particular tablet/laptop is complete garbage.

I think I've decided to nix the Samsung Tab S6. Not considering anymore for several reasons.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 1:06pm

lol the lenovo yogas are good machines.

Lenovo are actually the oldest pc manufacturer you'd never heard of till a few years ago.

All the original ibm notebooks/laptops - generally considered to be among the most durable on the market for a good 20 years, were all made by lenovo under licence.

Didn't believe it when I first heard it, but there was a really old ibm in my workshop at the time. turned it over: yep, made by lenovo for ibm.

There's a new apple advert for the iphone 11. Has it in  a wind tunnel with all manner of things and crap being blown against it - presumably to claim how tough it is.
But they only throw stuff at the BACK - we all know what would happen if they turned it round lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 3:32pm

When doing my research on this I veered into laptop territory and found that while they aren't one of the more well known names the Lenova Thinkpad series, especially the Thinkpad X1 carbon and yoga seem to have the best reviews on durability of any I've found. Pretty much across the board they are considered excellent machines that are as reliable as anything out there.

So now I will probably be upgrading my laptop at some point as well.  Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)