Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What Are You Afraid of? (Read 5119 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: What Are You Afraid of?
Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 4:09pm

slingbadger wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 6:34am:
I'm not afraid of any animals that I know of. The problem is sometimes you don't know what you're afraid of until you encounter it.
As for me, people scare me. They're worse than any animal. As I get older, I'm afraid of being  an invalid.

Agreed. We hairless killer Chimps are the scariest creature on the planet. Hands down.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 10:43pm

Slingky wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 9:55pm:
Alone is a really cool show. I just finished season 6 a couple weeks ago and like the unique skills / foibles that each contestant brings to the show / series. Have you ever considered being a contestant? It'd be great to see someone on the show who's good with a sling / can represent the slinging community. If I'm not mistaken, that's one of the survival skills that hasn't been featured on the show yet.

In terms of fears, I'm afraid of cliffs, but not necessarily heights. Don't like bears either - before and after I saw The Revenant. Cubs are cute, but where there's a cub, there's usually a momma that's willing to split any real or imagined threats open like a ripe banana. I'm afraid of people who control nukes, but can't well control themselves.

*Meme from: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/e0/3e/d9e03ec973cd3f995505b828df8919f1.jpg

If I was younger I'd love to be on Alone.  Through a lot of my life I think I'd have been a formidable contestant.  I'm 65.  I doubt I'd have the energy for that sort of competition now.  Getting old blows.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 1:41am

Civil war.  We Americans aren't immune to it.  This time around the reasons would be very similar to the last. It really could happen.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2019 at 1:05pm

One fear that's in the back of most peoples' minds as they grow old is becoming dependent.  I would hate to need to depend on someone.  After Dad died Mom lived to be 86 on her own.  She was quite proud that she needed no one.  She died in her own livingroom alone.  It's how she wanted it.  "I don't want to die in some God ******** hospital with tubes sticking out of me!"  Becoming so old and feeble that you have to depend on someone for your daily existence would be a miserable way to live.  I hope I go out like Mom.  Living that long would be nice too. 

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #19 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 3:03am

Rat Man wrote on Dec 9th, 2019 at 1:05pm:
    One fear that's in the back of most peoples' minds as they grow old is becoming dependent.  I would hate to need to depend on someone.  After Dad died Mom lived to be 86 on her own.  She was quite proud that she needed no one.  She died in her own livingroom alone.  It's how she wanted it.  "I don't want to die in some God ******** hospital with tubes sticking out of me!"  Becoming so old and feeble that you have to depend on someone for your daily existence would be a miserable way to live.  I hope I go out like Mom.  Living that long would be nice too. 

I work in an old people's home and the people that live there are usually not in the best shape. A lot are entirely bed bound. I, of course, do my absolute best to make them as comfortable, happy and fulfilled as possible (as do all my colleagues) but there have been times I've come back from holiday and been a little sad that some of them are still there and haven't "moved on". There is one person in particular that I've been looking after for 5 years now. They haven't been able to walk for 4 and a half of those 5 years. They haven't been truly aware of where they are or what is happening around them for more than 5 years. They haven't spoken intelligibly for more than 5 years. They can't feed themselves or clean themselves and barely react when their family visit. They spend most of their time sleeping and when they are awake they are nervous and stare off into the distance. It feels like they are really only technically alive.

One of the saddest things I've ever heard was about one old man that was living there. One of the nurses said to me "Yeah he doesn't have any family... well he does, but they don't visit..." That was tough but then this same guy was upset one day and I asked what was wrong and he said that his parents were dead. This guy was pretty old so that wasn't a surprise but then he said "...and I can't go and put flowers on their graves." I had to take a moment to myself after hearing that because that was soul-crushing. I don't think I'll ever forget him saying that. He has now died and I wonder sometimes how many people remember him.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 9:00pm

Just another anecdote on the same topic.  I remember when my paternal grandfather was nearing the end.  He ended up in a hospital, and during one of our visits I remember him saying he was afraid he was never going to get to go home.  It turned out he was correct, and he passed away not long after.  To this day I wish I had known for sure it was the end for him.  I would have stolen him out of that hospital and taken him back home to spend his last hours there.  Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Cry

I completely agree with you Rat Man.  It would be great if we could all spend our final days in the place of our choosing.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 11:09pm

If I somehow knew the hour I was going to die I'd drive out to the Jersey Pine Barrens. I love The Pines.  My parents started taking me there when I was a baby.  I'd park myself by a nice cedar water river among the wildlife and meet my maker there. Yes, it would be nice if we could choose.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 9:23am

A lot of older philosophy (and theology) talks about dying well. I feel we've forgotten that and don't even think about it. My wife's grandfather passed. Great guy. I still think of him a lot. He died well. Before the deterioration got too bad. My maternal grandfather on the other hand? He is not dying well. What he has...you can't call it living and he is becoming a burden.

I hope to be more like my wife's grandfather (God rest his soul) and not be a burden on my daughters. I hope to die well.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 8:56pm

Dying quickly would be nice.  To just keel over without really knowing what hit you or to just pass quietly in my sleep would be preferable.  Several (too many) of my family members died slow deaths from cancer.  My wife battled it for eight years.  Those who pass quickly are fortunate.  I guess my best death would be to bowl a perfect game then become so excited that I croak right there on the spot.  Good way to go.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2019 at 3:22pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #24 - Dec 12th, 2019 at 3:10pm

My grandfather was trying to get the dog inside, tripped, couldn't catch himself (he was losing most of the movement in his arms and hands) and landed face first on the ground. Broke his neck and was brain dead instantly. He was kept alive on a ventilator for a bit so some of the family got to say goodbye but really he was long gone before that. I truly hope I go like that. Lights out.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #25 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 12:30pm

Trees or branches falling on me is something I don't give much thought to.  I mean, what are the odds that you'll be standing in just the wrong spot when that old dead branch finally falls. Or so I thought.
    The day before yesterday I was walking Pandora through the neighborhood after a big thunderstorm blew through.  Odd February weather.  Anyway it was windy as hell afterward. 
    She stopped to smell a neighbors trash and without warning a tree branch landed right on top of us.  Fortunately the branch wasn't big enough to do serious damage but it was definitely big enough to get our attention.  We were more surprised than injured. 
   Maybe I'll pay more attention to "widow makers" in the future.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #26 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 1:20pm

Rat Man wrote on Feb 9th, 2020 at 12:30pm:
    Trees or branches falling on me is something I don't give much thought to.  I mean, what are the odds that you'll be standing in just the wrong spot when that old dead branch finally falls. Or so I thought.
    The day before yesterday I was walking Pandora through the neighborhood after a big thunderstorm blew through.  Odd February weather.  Anyway it was windy as hell afterward. 
    She stopped to smell a neighbors trash and without warning a tree branch landed right on top of us.  Fortunately the branch wasn't big enough to do serious damage but it was definitely big enough to get our attention.  We were more surprised than injured. 
   Maybe I'll pay more attention to "widow makers" in the future.

I was walking my girlfriend's family's dogs on a really windy day and thought I might go along a path that went through a patch of woodland. The wind was really thrashing about but I still hadn't made the connection that a woodland walk in high winds wasn't a good plan, until I was about to walk in and saw up the path a tree blocking the path. A whole tree. It obviously had just fallen. If we had been a couple of minutes earlier, I don't think we would be walking out. Nature will F you up.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 3:13pm

Bracing a new bow for the first time always makes me a bit nervous Undecided

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #28 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:52pm

walter wrote on Feb 9th, 2020 at 3:13pm:

I actually just received my full set of bowyers bible. 1-4. And a full bow making kit. Tillering board, stringer, rasp, and scrapers.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 10:51pm

vetryan15 wrote on Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:52pm:
walter wrote on Feb 9th, 2020 at 3:13pm:

I actually just received my full set of bowyers bible. 1-4. And a full bow making kit. Tillering board, stringer, rasp, and scrapers.

Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris)