Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What Are You Afraid of? (Read 5121 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
What Are You Afraid of?
Sep 4th, 2019 at 3:29pm

I was binge watching Season 1 of Alone last night.  For those who might not know it's a survival show.  They drop ten people off in some God forsaken location with ten survival items of their choosing.  Last  man standing gets a half a million dollars.  This episode features the northern edge of Vancouver Island.  A very soggy place
    One of the participants had been mauled by a German Shepherd as a child.  Consequently having wolves nearby unnerved him and he tapped out.  Another guy got freaked out by a Cougar.  And yet another had two bears rumble through his camp at night.  He tapped out the next day.  It made me consider what would make me tap out.  What am I afraid of?
    Though they can kill me under the right circumstances I'm not afraid of wolves.  Maybe I should be but I'm not.  Cougars are the same. I certainly respect them but  I just don't have an instinctive fear of them.  Sharks are something that many people are afraid of.  I have no fear of sharks.  I see a shark and I see food. I get hungry.  Can one kill me?  Yes, if I'm stupid I guess.  I respect their abilities but don't fear them.  I used to be afraid of snakes into my early teens but I got over that.  As many of you know I've owned some VERY  large snakes.  Spiders can give me the willies but in their own environment they're OK.
    Bears are another matter.  I do have an instinctive fear of bears.  Bears are huge, super intelligent, curious, and sometimes obnoxious.  I like to think of myself as big and formidable but I'd be completely helpless against a bear unless I had a large caliber gun.  Bears are friggin scary. If I was on Alone and bears claimed my camp at night I'd tap out too.
   So what scares you?

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: What Are You Afraid of?
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 8:02pm

I don't like small bugs. I think it's probably the fact that I could conceivably anger a spider and it could bite me fatally, and it would have been a complete accident.

Bigger animals I feel like there are some shared body language and warning signals. The danger can be better managed. A funnelweb on the other hand? No thanks.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 9:19pm

I get the whole bear thing. A charging brown or grizzly is like being run down by a semi that has claws and teeth.

I tried to post an mp4 of what scares me. But some how got my wifi internet banned from this site. Wtf. Lol. So anyways...

Shark.

(Not nearly as cool as the gif was.)

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 9:24pm

Morphy wrote on Sep 4th, 2019 at 9:19pm:
I get the whole bear thing. A charging brown or grizzly is like being run down by a semi that has claws and teeth.

I tried to post an mp4 of what scares me. But some how got my wifi internet banned from this site. Wtf. Lol. So anyways...

Shark.

(Not nearly as cool as the gif was.)

Here- https://imgur.com/gallery/wKPQAPf

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 7:35am

I don't fear animals, why would you ?
I just don't get that.

Was phobic about spiders as a kid, but while I would never go nearer a tarantula than I had to, normal spiders are not an issue any more.

People have weird ideas about animals - particularly those larger or better equipped to fight than a human.
But animals will always run rather than fight. We are not on their menu.

A healthy respect of any animal in it's own environment - sure. But be scared of them ? No.

Can't think of anything in a survival situation that would cause me to 'tap out'.  Other than the obvious: pneumonia, frostbite, or any other serious injury.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 7:28pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 5th, 2019 at 7:35am:
I don't fear animals, why would you ?
I just don't get that.

Was phobic about spiders as a kid, but while I would never go nearer a tarantula than I had to, normal spiders are not an issue any more.

People have weird ideas about animals - particularly those larger or better equipped to fight than a human.
But animals will always run rather than fight. We are not on their menu.

A healthy respect of any animal in it's own environment - sure. But be scared of them ? No.

Can't think of anything in a survival situation that would cause me to 'tap out'.  Other than the obvious: pneumonia, frostbite, or any other serious injury.

LOL

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 6:34am

I'm not afraid of any animals that I know of. The problem is sometimes you don't know what you're afraid of until you encounter it.
As for me, people scare me. They're worse than any animal. As I get older, I'm afraid of being  an invalid.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 9:55pm

Alone is a really cool show. I just finished season 6 a couple weeks ago and like the unique skills / foibles that each contestant brings to the show / series. Have you ever considered being a contestant? It'd be great to see someone on the show who's good with a sling / can represent the slinging community. If I'm not mistaken, that's one of the survival skills that hasn't been featured on the show yet.

In terms of fears, I'm afraid of cliffs, but not necessarily heights. Don't like bears either - before and after I saw The Revenant. Cubs are cute, but where there's a cub, there's usually a momma that's willing to split any real or imagined threats open like a ripe banana. I'm afraid of people who control nukes, but can't well control themselves.

*Meme from: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/e0/3e/d9e03ec973cd3f995505b828df8919f1.jpg

IP Logged

AlexZaamii
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Canada
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:10pm

I have a phobia of spiders, in that I'll sometimes look all around the room and quickly scan the walls and ceiling to see if I can spot any. Thankfully I live in an area where even the biggest ones are still small compared to most places.

Although I've never encountered a bear or a shark, the thought of them does scare me a bit, but not enough to keep me out of the woods or the ocean. Sharks probably scare me a bit more since you can't really see what's around you in the ocean.

But one of the few animals that I truly fear is the polar bear. They don't live anywhere close to where I've ever lived so I'm not looking over my shoulder for one, but they are one of the few (maybe even the only?) animals that actively hunts humans. Food is scarce where they live, so humans are on the menu.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:22pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Sep 4th, 2019 at 8:02pm:
I don't like small bugs. I think it's probably the fact that I could conceivably anger a spider and it could bite me fatally, and it would have been a complete accident.

Bigger animals I feel like there are some shared body language and warning signals. The danger can be better managed. A funnelweb on the other hand? No thanks.

I could see small bugs making me tap out.  Having been bitten to hell by chiggers earlier this summer after a single walk through my little woods I couldn't imagine surviving there for any length of time.  Chiggers could make me tap out.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:33pm

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 8:45pm

JudoP wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:33pm:

Yikes! A Yellowjacket on steroids!

IP Logged

AlexZaamii
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Canada
Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 12:28am

JudoP wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:33pm:

...That's a big bug! I would run away screaming if I saw one of those Embarrassed but there he is making one sting him!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 6:51am

big bugs are fine - you can see and hear them coming.

It's the little biting buggers that are the worst !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:57am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 6:51am:
big bugs are fine - you can see and hear them coming.

It's the little biting buggers that are the worst !

The asian giant hornet can fly at 40km/h. Good luck running away!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)