Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Let’s settle this once and for all (Read 2654 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Let’s settle this once and for all
Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 1:03pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:43am:
Morphy wrote on Sep 2nd, 2019 at 11:04am:
I don't think a little step hurts necessarily but there are sound reasons not to. If you are target slinging on flat ground it really isn't necessary at all. It's an unneeded variable. If you are slinging for distance that's a whole different animal.

I used to live and sling in the chaparral country in California. The whole thing is sand, gravel round stones and dead branches. That place taught me there are in fact good reasons not to move your feet when slinging as it was too easy to lose your footing when moving and focusing on a target.

The step is not so much for power, but more to keep the throw consistent and orient my body and throw to the front. With a vertical release throw, having the body straight on to the target matters. with a sidearm throw, not so much.

Believe it or not I've been saying this for years and man have I got some funny virtual looks from members on that one. But my solution was to stand with feet side by side and body starting out facing the target. It works but the actual throwing style changes a bit to accommodate it.

I did start out doing as you're talking about and it worked fine but eventually changed due to constant slinging in gravelly areas.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2019 at 9:28pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Re: Let’s settle this once and for all
Reply #16 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 5:57pm

The spear thrower runs. The archer does not run. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15)