Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Let’s settle this once and for all (Read 2622 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Let’s settle this once and for all
Sep 2nd, 2019 at 12:29am

Is moving your feet ultimately good or bad?

Personally I use a fixed stance for more stability and focus utilizing the hips and hand to generate substantial speed (in other words a quality target practice technique), but a part of me wants to think fixed stance will not work for long distance, especially when Timpa does pirouette throws over 300m with steel balls.

Here’s my problem; people don’t just say they prefer fixed or the foot follow through, they swear by them and practically say it’s the only way.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Re: Let’s settle this once and for all
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 1:32am

I personally use Step-in's or 'Run-ins' when going for distance throwing with a long-ish sling.

When I use shorter slings though I don't really bother, though I do sometimes step-in as I throw out of habit with a shorter sling.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 3:16am

depending on the range and ground .
a step helps with transferring the body weight forward but the same efficient weight transfer can happen without a step, i find it difficult sometimes with the overhand motion i forget to use the hips and torso correctly, with the underhand motion I like to pivot my feet in place rather than do a step.
on longer ranges I do a big stride or a jump and step (almost like the glide technique in shot put) or a run up depending on the ground , if i feel i'll slip on pebbles i just do a stride for long range or small or no step for shorter, if i have small space but stable ground i'll do jump and step or stride for long range and anything for short other than run up. if i have big space and stable I'll do a little run up.

it's always a balance between accuracy and power , if you struggle with the range(power) you'll tire your arm and have bad accuracy  so you bring in the legs to raise the power  and use your arm more for accuracy than power.

using big movements in short range will lower the rate of fire and tire you with no more successful results and if you get tired you'll get low glucose in the blood =>you'll get inaccurate, the brain will not be as focused as in the beginning.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 6:35am

The sling can be used whilst stationary or moving . It's really scenario based . I mostly step into my shots but I try not to over complicate it , just throw , lots.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 7:00am

depends really on what you're doing, and how consistently you do it.

When teaching people, it's best for them to keep their feet still so that they learn to use the sling and it removes one of the common inconsistencies from the throw.

Personally I generally take a step forward with my off leg. But keep my back foot planted.
That way you just bring the front foot back to reset and your position has not changed - which for target shooting, is important.

I'm not a believer if running or pirouetting before a throw.
But if it works for you, then it works for YOU Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 10:09am

I also normally take a small step with my front leg.  Depending on how hard I'm throwing, the back leg may come off the ground a little.  Although in a recent slinging session I noticed my back leg taking a step too (on occasion), and so my body ending up rotated 90° to the left from my starting position.  I was trying to keep my concentration on the target, so I didn't put any thought into why I was doing this.  I just kind of let it happen when it did.

For me the front leg step helps with direction.  My normal release is a sidearm motion.  If I don't take that step, I find that throws are more likely to be off to the left or right.  But this is what is effective for me.  I am in total agreement with the opinion that taking a step will vary between slingers, as well as the specific situation of the throw.  There is not a simple yes or no answer.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 11:04am

I don't think a little step hurts necessarily but there are sound reasons not to. If you are target slinging on flat ground it really isn't necessary at all. It's an unneeded variable. If you are slinging for distance that's a whole different animal.

I used to live and sling in the chaparral country in California. The whole thing is sand, gravel round stones and dead branches. That place taught me there are in fact good reasons not to move your feet when slinging as it was too easy to lose your footing when moving and focusing on a target.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 12:33pm

oh i forgot. I too sling a lot on a rocky and sandy place.
At the short range where i film the slinging practice videos since i know that the target and I will not move, I clean the ground I'll be stepping and striding on from big and small rocks so there remains sand . another annoying thing is that after a few throws the back leg creates a pit in the sand and I have to stop and fill it.
to solve this I might put a huge well shaped rock to step on and push off with the back leg. it looks like a primitive pitchers mound made of sand and flat rather than decline.
I had cleaned such areas at 3 different distances from target, outside those areas I kept my step short and careful.
slinging is also a fun way to destroy my right shoe.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 1:21pm

Interesting viewpoints, I should try front legging distance throws. Terrain I just realized by Morphy is a huge factor in determining foot placement. Ex.: If you’re in a densely wooded area but have a little room, still chances are you’re not throwing pirouettes, or cranking your legs for that matter as chances are you might trip.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 2:12pm

If I'm shooting for accuracy I keep my feet planted.  If I'm shooting for distance only I'll follow through with my rear leg.  If you get your hips into your throw there is only a small difference in power between the two methods.  At least that's my experience.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 3:10pm

Played left and ctr field in high school (baseball). Still step into the throw and raise my back foot off the ground as I throw.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 1:08am

Ok CP, I’ll settle this for you... at least partially:
When slinging at the edge of a sheer cliff, definitely keep those feet solidly planted. Same goes for slinging on the edge of a dock over shark-infested waters, tall bridges, volcanos, or skyscrapers. For all other situations, it just depends.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 1:10am

Funditor406 wrote on Sep 2nd, 2019 at 1:21pm:
If you’re in a densely wooded area... chances are you’re not throwing pirouettes

Um, that’s never stopped Timpa before.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:43am

Morphy wrote on Sep 2nd, 2019 at 11:04am:
I don't think a little step hurts necessarily but there are sound reasons not to. If you are target slinging on flat ground it really isn't necessary at all. It's an unneeded variable. If you are slinging for distance that's a whole different animal.

I used to live and sling in the chaparral country in California. The whole thing is sand, gravel round stones and dead branches. That place taught me there are in fact good reasons not to move your feet when slinging as it was too easy to lose your footing when moving and focusing on a target.

lol, as anyone who's watched me sling in mallorca will tell you. I always make sure the spot I step onto is cleared of stones or gravel and as flat as I can find.

The step is not so much for power, but more to keep the throw consistent and orient my body and throw to the front. With a vertical release throw, having the body straight on to the target matters. with a sidearm throw, not so much.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 10:25am

I'm agree with Curious Aardvark; it's important to orient his body to the front.
And I'm agree with Joe Meadmaker ; I take a small step, but with my back leg who is the right. It's better for direction.
Just my opinion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)