Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone hold their sling like this? (Read 2233 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Anyone hold their sling like this?
Sep 1st, 2019 at 11:45am

I am just trying out new ways to hold the sling for me, here is one:

Initial feelings: very clean throw, but my accuracy is waay off. I will have to try it for awhile and see if I can improve with it. This hold can only work with thin cords I think.

Standard I hold the sling the way Luis the Balear does. Around middle finger, loop outside of hand and release between index and thumb. But after too much slinging I got blisters, especially slinging very heavy rocks. So I am very interested in seeing if I can get this hold to work well.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Anyone hold their sling like this?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 12:13pm

I recently made a wrist retention sling, but haven't had the time to test it out. Just "trying it on" I can feel it's going to take a lot of getting used to.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 4:17pm

There's some old tapestries showing a similar hold for medieval slingers. It looks awkward to my eyes but I would guess if it was used it had to offer some benefits.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 9:55am

I've never used a wrist loop, but I'd think it could be an advantage when slinging heavy projectiles.  Having it anchored to the wrist rather than just a finger.  But in turn, the release cord may then also need a full grip rather than just a small knot.

Have you try this grip out yet Jauke?  How does it work for you?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 10:43am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 2nd, 2019 at 9:55am:
I've never used a wrist loop, but I'd think it could be an advantage when slinging heavy projectiles.  Having it anchored to the wrist rather than just a finger.  But in turn, the release cord may then also need a full grip rather than just a small knot.

Have you try this grip out yet Jauke?  How does it work for you?

I've slung a lot with it today. I find it works great with side arm apache and heavy (300g plus) rocks. Really powerful and the style that gives me least strain when slinging such heavy rocks. My accuracy with other styles was not very good but the releases were smooth. The high winds and jagged rocks might also had to do with it. Overall I think it can work just as well as a finger loop if you stay with it and practice.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:01pm

I have exactly the same grip.

Heittoote2.jpg (134 KB | 78 )
Heittoote2.jpg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 7:17am

lobohunter uses a wrist loop.
Mind you he also used to sling the heads from sledge hammers and once made some armour piercing glandes that even timpa would be impressed by Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 2:49pm

@Timpa I can see why. When I was slinging with this hold a few days ago I automatically started doing pirouettes and run ups. This hold really invites to sling that way.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 3:53pm

I'm off to the cottage tomorrow and I'm taking my new wrist loop sling I'll report back with my thoughts soon.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man)