Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Sling Standart
Reply #15 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 6:22am

sock balls Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:19pm

Haha yes a 'sling war' is great fun!
We make one every year at the Roman Festival in Carnuntum. When the visitors have left, I bring fourty slings and hundred tennis balls for the reenactors, we arrange in two groups on the big battle field, and thenn the bally fly until everyone is exhausted 😀😀

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:23pm

For increasing the sport - A good idea is to use as much from other popular sports as possible.

As the main bullet type I vote for tennis balls
Reasons
Relative safety for bystanders
Easy availibility in large numbers at low prize
Standardized size and weight

We have a slinging club founded this year in Austria, and can train with the balls at  regular tennis court

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:26pm

For distance I look over to golf
There distance cn be combined with precision, as Vegetius states for the trining of soldiers with the sling

Sling golf - All the infrastructure is there at the golg course, as also safe, cheap and standardized projectiles

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 3:45am

funditor wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:26pm:
For distance I look over to golf

Isn't it expensive? I think it's 60euro/day here.

safe projectiles aren't that attractive to me a safe range is very attractive

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #20 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 8:55pm

The only way sling golf makes sense is if you use free frisbee golf courses at public parks (or talk the golf course into a huge discount). Slingers are too cheap to pay golf course prices Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #21 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 2:14am

Slingers are also likely way to cheap to buy archery equipment...  Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #22 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 9:43pm

What’s interesting about Jaegoor’s approach is that he treats it like a martial art instead of a ball sport. The colored shirts give people a clear understanding that they can improve by achieving certain criteria or passing a test. Have you ever posted your criteria Jaegoor?  How do your students earn the next shirt?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 11:22am

Ja ich habe es schon einmal gepostet.
Es ist sehr schwierig Menschen davon zu überzeugen.
Ich sehe slingen als Sport mit vielen Möglichkeiten. Nicht nur schießen. Viele haben heute verkümmerte koordinative Fähigkeiten. Diese muß man wieder aktivieren. Dann wird auch der Umgang mit der sling besser.
Ein Spiel was wir für unser Training entdeckt haben ist pelota a mano. Ein tolles Spiel für Kraft, Geschicklichkeit und Koordination. Perfekt für ein sling Training

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 2:27am

Wink wo steht ihr?

Slinger.pdf (130 KB | 73 )

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #25 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:27am

Regarding ammunition; I saw a thing where somebody was taking part in medieval reenactments as a slinger, using ammunition made of dried peas wrapped in duct tape. Apparently could still hurt but wouldn't be particularly dangerous. Not sure where I saw that, might have been here.

And I saw this a while back - https://youtu.be/rqUy2NZFXdU
A sling competition for schools in Guam, the guy made some safer ammuntion using silicone and starch, proto putty apparently. They're just shooting at targets there though.

I think a good way of having safe but somewhat realistic ammuntion would be to have a heavy core with a soft deformable outer layer. For indoor practice I use bits of used aluminium foil wrapped into a ball then wrapped with some bubble wrap and tape. Not as heavy as a proper stone but they can go plenty fast for the very short distances inside. Bubble wrap tends to pop and deflate quickly, but something like some kind of closed cell foam to cover a heavy core might make for excellent ammo for martial practice. Face or at least eye protection would certainly be needed, but I bet it's possible to make good ammo that would be safe and still usable for close/medium distance.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 5:26pm

Munition ist kein Thema
Kinder trainieren mit Tennisbällen.
Indoor funktionieren Tennisbälle und Rusty Balls hervorragend.
Draußen benutzt man Stein oder Ton, bzw Lehm.
Haben sie eine entsprechende Anlage zum trainieren, ist auch Blei möglich.
Auch ein pfeil ist tödlich. Von fast jeden Bogen.
Bei Stein rufen alle gefährlich. Tzzz. Das ist lächerlich. Slingen ist ein schieß Sport.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #27 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 12:43am

I've got to agree that Tennis Balls are the way to go for ammunition for all the reasons already stated:
Non-Lethality, Range Limitation, availability, and cost.
They can't be beat for those elements.

Now, as for a standard, one of the things to look at is regular participatory events, which requires a group, of course, but once you have that together, and let people get a few really messy sling wars out of their system on introduction (just use dodge-ball rules), you set up a target or three and get people shooting at it.

After that, you move to competitions at the local level.

Then, we need to start looking at two other types of shoot that combine a lot of what's been discussed:

Speed and target variations.

For speed, I'd say one minute per person with unlimited rounds, Score and throw for 20 meters.

For Target Variations, take a look at These, 2nd Class Figure Targets from British Musketry in 1914. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjr0c6LzuPkAhUKSN8KH...

The elementary target used a 12 inch ring in the center.   By using the elementary targets, and scoring with a 1-2-3-4 (board, magpie, inner, bull) score, this could work nicely at 20 meters, and reward precision more. Further, it wouldn't require any separate target size or positioning.  How to mark the hits would be an issue, but I'm pretty sure some chalk-dust on tennis balls would work (I haven't tried it though. If someone has, confirmation would be wonderful.)

Then, club-based team slinging is a great idea too, using standard targets. Makes the game more social, and doesn't need any extra gear.

Start mixing these in, and you'll get some good variety!

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #28 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 12:53am

Also, Jeagoor, I like your idea of training Games! They've been infinitely hepfull in teaching historic swordsmanship, so they should work for anything similar.

If you don't mind the work, we should develop and post up a book of your training games for the forum to use, and possibly develop a real training program in several languages for the Sling. That slightly formalized approach, a Martial Discipline, along with clubs and the availibility of several types of shooting competitions should add to the appeal massively.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 1:52pm

Wir arbeiten gerade an einem Video. Man braucht nur ein Basketball Brett.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)