Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best Rock/Pop Band Ever (Read 1109 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Best Rock/Pop Band Ever
Aug 25th, 2019 at 1:54pm

We've had questions like this before here.  Usually members select a band that was big during their glory years.  You can pretty much tell how old someone is by the band he picked as #1. 
     Trying not to do that and be completely objective my pick ends up being an old man's pick anyway.  The Beatles. Why?
     First let me say this.  The Beatles were literally two bands.  When they first came out and were trying to be cute they were a novelty. Songs like She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your Hand can't be taken seriously.  However, The Beatles evolved a great deal.  Their later albums like Sgt. Peppers, The White Album, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour, etc. were cutting edge and brilliant. 
    Prior to The Beatles later albums popular music was in black and white.  They added brilliant, psychedelic color. When you consider how The Beatles influenced popular music, plus the volume and quality of their work (59 albums) in their short time at the top for me they're the obvious choice as best ever.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Best Rock/Pop Band Ever
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 2:18pm

Big rock guy here so forgive me for over thinking this topic.

I've thought about this question a lot but I think the answer is obvious. It would be hard to choose anyone but the Beatles unless you choose to redefine what you mean by "Best".

So I define it the way you do but here's I think my top 5 and why each is "best" in at least one important way.

1. Beatles- They had the most number 1 albums and number 1 songs. Arguably more importantly these guys affected pop culture and rock more than any other single group. Not just in a few ways, in every way. The late 60's and 70's are what they were largely because this one group existed, at least here in America and in the UK. That's a pretty crazy statement when you think about it. 

2. Led Zeppelin- Robert Plant's voice is in my opinion the most single iconic voice in rock. It symbolizes what classic rock is and became. Jimmy Page's guitar is responsible for probably as many iconic guitar riffs as any single person that's ever played. They didn't have as wide an appeal but they were certainly the "Best" in their own way.

3. Pink Floyd- These guys in my opinion are the band with the most sheer talent musically speaking of  any rock band that's ever existed. Nothing more needs to be said about them. Not as mainstream as the Beatles and not as iconic a voice as Plants but no one is better in terms of raw skill.

4. Rolling Stones- Second most iconic voice in rock and I know many would say the first.  Also one of the longest lasting with tons of hits. No serious top 5 list would not have the Stones.

5. Toss up- This one is the hardest to fill but I think for me personally it has to be one of these 4: Aerosmith, Eagles, Jimi Hendrix Experience, or Queen in no particular order.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2019 at 6:59pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 2:40pm

Great answer, Morphy
    I saw almost all of the great Classic Rock bands.  Going to concerts was what we did back in the day.  By a wide margin Led Zeppelin put on the best show I ever saw and that's saying something.  It is impossible to describe how good they were.  There are no words.
    Sadly I am just a little too young to have seen Hendrix or the Beatles.  The Beatles broke up and Hendrix died just before I was old enough to go to concerts. But the list of bands I did see is pretty impressive.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 2:51pm

well the beatles early stuff pure sucked.
Just before they split they were making decent albums.
But as bloodt mcartney just refuses to sut up, go away and put people's ears out of their misery - that right there disqualifies them Wink

I just plain hate led zeppelin. Hands down the most overrated band in history !
I used to think it was plants grating vocals - but no. His solo stuff is bearable. I decided that with zeppelin it was everything !
And the more I hear the more I dislike them.

I'll go with pink floyd.
Any lineup, all the guys solo albums - just pure class.

The stones have been consistent for the last 50 plus years.
So yeah they can go in.

Mt personal favourite bands would be manowar, battle beast and then a whole bunch in third place.

As far as pop music goes - ABBA probably take the prize. Great lyrics, great music, great vocals and pretty damns sexy Smiley

Best ever rock - Queen.
Just a band that went out and did it's own thing as good as it could be done.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 8:19pm

For me- Queen, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Who.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 11:43am

A side note:  though I didn't get to see the Beatles I did go to a Sir Paul concert a couple of years ago when he last came through Philly.  I expected him to be good, but he's in his mid seventies.  I thoroughly expected him to start out doing one or two Rockers like Twist and Shout then dodder through a lot of Long and Winding Road type songs for an hour or so.     I was completely wrong.  He rocked hard for three solid hours without a break with energy that would make most young people jealous.  As always Paul was the master showman and had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand.  It was a lovefest between Sir Paul and Philly. One thing I noticed with over half of the people there.  Their parents weren't born yet when Paul and the Beatles started performing.  So anyway  though I was too young to go to a Beatles concert at least I got to see one of them.  Excellent show.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 2:55pm

Everyone is voting for multiple bands.  Wink

My vote would go to Pink Floyd.  Mostly for reasons already mentioned.  But also because when listening to their live recordings, there is just no other music quite like it.  Never had the opportunity to see them, but I've seen their most well known cover band Brit Floyd (formerly Australian Pink Floyd) several times.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 6:41am

well if just one, who straddle the rock and pop divide - has to be Queen.

No doubt about macartneys energy - but his voice went a long time ago.
And he's an obnoxious scumbag into the bargain. 

When he closed london olymp[ics opening ceremony in 2012 - it was seen as a national embarassment.
Even his daughter has asked him to stop singing. 

When The Who closed the closing ceremony - it made up for it Smiley
Roger Daltry, there's a man who's kept his voice.   
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2019 at 12:37pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 2:59pm

Depends on which day you ask me.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man)