Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
are you also on fire? (Read 1285 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

are you also on fire?
Aug 24th, 2019 at 10:53am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5J8_1q4pTs
didn't know about this or that siberia is also burning up.
media never mentioned it, they mentioned only fires in the country which are a lot, they couldn't ignore a fire that made the atmosphere stuffy in a big city.  I wonder how many years we got until we realise the do or die moment has already passed   Sad

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: are you also on fire?
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 12:04pm

I was reading about the Amazon fire the other day.  I agree, this is absolutely terrifying.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 4:08pm

In a way it makes me glad I'm old.  I'll be dead when the stuff really hits the fan.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 7:10pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 4:08pm:
In a way it makes me glad I'm old.  I'll be dead when the stuff really hits the fan.

Lucky guy.

Sometimes I'm glad I only had one kid. That's a huge amount of rainforest just gone. I wonder how much of that is old growth trees. Such a shame. There's no getting those trees back in our lifetime. Add to that the way we are destroying our oceans which produce an even larger amount of O2 for the planet and it's only a matter of time before we are in it deep.

Unfortunately, as was mentioned, this is a boil the frog scenario. It's likely we will hit the point of no return before anyone even realized it happened.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 6:06am

I can't watch it. I can't read about it. I don't want to know about it because it's just too scary and sad and horrifying. I truly think the human race will doom itself. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist but I don't think we'll save ourselves in time.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 1:33pm

The Himalayan glaciers are rapidly retreating.  Once they're gone you'll have about a billion people with no fresh water.
    Many think we've already passed the toppling point.  This generation will be hated by humanity, if there is any humanity left to hate it.  We had the knowledge of the impending disaster and the time and means to do something about it but chose greed and ignorance instead.  It is a sad world I will be leaving.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 11:24am

You guys did know that the ranchers and farmers in Brazil do massive burns each year?

The stuff they are showing burning is not mature forest, it's areas that have been cut for timber that grew up in brush afterwards.  They are burning off the brush instead of spraying the area in herbicides to kill back the brush so the land can be turned into pasture or crop lands.

BTW, a fire won't hurt a mature forest unless you stop any fire from happening.  If you stop all fires, then duff, (that's leaves and branches, dead trees and other dead plant material) will build up until when it finally catches on fire, it will get so hot it can now kill mature trees.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 8:43pm

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 11:01pm

and what happens to the small (tiny) family farmers or native villagers who happen to be in the way of expanding cattle industry who are major exporters of beef to most fast food restaurants? Please read Jim Corbett's "Goat Walking".

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 12:13pm

I guess no matter how the forest is being cleared, what worries me is that it is being cleared and at such a rate. These forests help produce O2 for the whole Earth.  I'm usually all about personal liberty but what happens when it is half gone? 3/4 gone? At what point do we start to worry? These are important questions for us to address.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar)