Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Truisms That Always Hold True (Read 1614 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Truisms That Always Hold True
Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:08pm

There are a million of them.  One that's  proven  consistently accurate throughout my life is "Be careful what you wish for. You  might get it."  Yes, indeed.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Truisms That Always Hold True
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:02pm

One of my favorites:
“Do the right thing... and then face the consequences.”

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 12:45pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:02pm:
One of my favorites:
“Do the right thing... and then face the consequences.”

That's very similar to my "No good deed goes unpunished."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 1:46pm

In regards to an ex-girlfriend wanting to date again I was told , "A leopard doesn't change their spots." It ended up being right on, she was more crazy than ever, just better at hiding it.

Another good one is "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." I think there's a lot to be said for this. There's a fine line between healthy self-esteem on one hand and pride on the other. Finding that balance is something everyone has to do for themselves. I find much of my own instances of pride have come from insecurities which has helped me see it in others as well and better understand where they are coming from.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 2:28pm

'It doesn't matter who you vote for - the government Aways gets back in !'

'Politicians only lie when they talk'.
(I can see a theme developing here)

'Many a mickle makes a muckle'.

As nobody knows what this means - it must be true Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2019 at 8:12am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 2:54pm

This isn't as snappy as these other examples, but my dad once said that he didn't see how it was possible that anyone can get rich, particularly uber rich, without f****ing over at least one person and, more likely, more than one person, multiple times. I think that there's truth in that. The "camel through the eye of a needle" saying is pretty old and I think there's good reason for it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 3:54pm

"haste makes waste"

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 6:29am

Henri Queuille, minister during the period 1920/1930, in France said : Les promesses n'engagent que ceux qui les reçoivent.
Promises only engage those who receive them. Translate by bing.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 8:10am

Ah the camel through the 'eye of the needle' Is a very interesting one.

The eye of the needle is actually a real place, a narrow gate into jerusalem:
Quote:
I recently read that one of the gates into Jerusalem was named "The Eye of the Needle," and was quite tricky to negotiate, since it was quite small. Does this mean that when Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven," He meant that, far from being impossible, it was merely tricky?

Dara O'Reilly, London, UK

The interpretation that seems to make sense is this. The "Eye of the Needle" was indeed a narrow gateway into Jerusalem. Since camels were heavily loaded with goods and riders, they would need to be un-loaded in order to pass through. Therefore, the analogy is that a rich man would have to similarly unload his material possessions in order to enter heaven.

I did once start a story about a billionaire who had miniature camels genetically engineered to pass easily through the gate.
Never actually finished it Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2019 at 9:01am

It’s east to stop smoking. I’ve done it a thousand times.
-Mark Twain

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2019 at 9:15am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 8:10am:
Ah the camel through the 'eye of the needle' Is a very interesting one.

Classic. For some reason people seem to  think they can understand the Bible without any cultural context (or worse... using their own context as a replacement). Another example is how everything we “know” about the manger scene in the Christmas story is actually based on animal husbandry practices in England in the King James era. Roman era Hebrew cities didn’t have separate outbuildings as mangers, but somehow baby Jesus was born on an English farm instead of a Middle Eastern compound if you believe all the nativity scenes.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2019 at 12:25pm

"work while you work, play while you play"

I like that this also implies that you should be playing. Which you should. Work-Life balance is important. And if you focus entirely on one at a time, you'll be better off. "work" where you're really screwing around on the internet and "play" where you're checking your work email every 10 min are both terrible things.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)