Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stupidest way you've hurt yourself accidentally (Read 1863 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Stupidest way you've hurt yourself accidentally
Reply #15 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 12:09pm

the Jaw yawning things happens - generally it just sort of 'clicks' and you get earache for a few days.

Most recent thing. I was cutting something, and cutting towards myself - like you tell people never to do.
And I was thinking: 'if i keep doing this I'll cut myself'.
And I did !

I'm generally quite careful.
But some years ago I was using a new mini plane on a small piece of wood.
I was holding the wood in my left hand and the plane in my right.
Took a chunk off the top of my left index finger.
Never entirely regrew.
If I put both index fingers together you can see where the left one is a slightly different shape.

Can't work out how to take that picture though Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 7:02pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 1:48am:
Morphy wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 10:41pm:
Ahh... a diseased beaver... the downfall of many a brave man.  Roll Eyes

As oddly specific as the scenario is, once you’re tuned in to it, it’s surprising how often you see news articles about people being attacked by rabid beavers. I am not aware of any stories  where the beaver actually wins (or lives to bite again), but having to stab a murderous oversized rodent with a jagged broken fishing pole sounds like a really good argument for why it’s a good idea to keep a gun handy.

I once heard of a jogger that had a rabid raccoon come out of the forest and chase her down and bite her. Rabid animals are scary. Nature's version of a zombie apocalypse. Now imagine living in a time when the rabies vaccines did not exist. Now you have to either chop of the bit appendage immediately or wait days or weeks for your inevitable death. Scary stuff. 

Speaking of animals, by far the dumbest thing I ever did to hurt myself was play with a snake my friend was sure was a harmless "mud snake". Yep, you guessed it, it was venomous. And it bit me. But I deserved it for being too trusting. I was a kid and indestructible (or so I thought) and got a very severe bite from a very pissed off water moccasin. One of the worst sustained pains I've ever felt and for the entire first day I couldn't have any pain meds. Good times, good times.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 8:57pm

There are so many to choose from that it's hard to pick.  I'll go back to when I was eighteen or nineteen.  I was by a little lake in New Jersey called Square Circle.  I was partying with some friends and we had some fireworks.  Back then we partied hardy.  I don't remember exactly what we were doing but from the time period it could have been almost anything. 
    Here in America we have a firecracker called a Hammerhead.  I don't know if it's popular anywhere else.  It packs a pretty good boom.  I lit one and threw it on the beach.  Nothing....I waited to make sure the fuse was out.  I waited for maybe a half a minute then decided the Hammerhead's fuse had to be completely out and it was safe to investigate.  I'll bet you can guess where this story is going. 
    The fuse was completely burned off.  I was thinking that I could put the Hammerhead on a burning leaf or something and still make it explode.  I picked up the Hammerhead.  There was some white ash on it where the fuse had been connected.  I blew the ash off and saw the red glow of a small ember.  The firecracker had been sitting there smoldering all of that time.  I immediately tossed it toward the lake but not quickly enough.  It blew up immediately after leaving  my hand.  The hand was numb and I didn't dare look at it.  I was pretty sure some of it would be missing.  I stuck my hand in the lake to cool it off.  Finally I took a look.  Thankfully the damage was only superficial.  Had I been a bit slower I certainly could have lost a finger or two. 
    Yep, that was pretty stupid.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)