Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stupidest way you've hurt yourself accidentally (Read 1861 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Stupidest way you've hurt yourself accidentally
Aug 17th, 2019 at 2:20pm

So the reason I'm making this thread is because I think there could be some good stories in it and because I have a good one from today.

I dislocated my jaw by yawning.

As I write this my jaw is, to use the technical terms, weird feeling and a bit wonky. So looks like I'm going to need that looked at. In the mean time, let's hear some stories!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Re: Stupidest way you've hurt yourself accidentally
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:20pm

When I was a kid, I made a "rope" swing by throwing an old garden hose over a big maple tree branch. I made a handle for the new "rope" swing with a stick. Everything was working great until I was swinging parallel to the ground and the stick handle snapped. Smashed my face flat on the packed-dirt ground and got a bloody nose. Haven't been able to breath well through my nose without feeling like it's partially plugged in decades.  Cry

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:26pm

Also hacked on a 30ft tall dead tree with a hatchet when I was a kid. I was trying to cut the tree up so that I could make a fort wall with the cut-up sections of the tree. As I chopped, I heard a crack and was momentarily relieved to think that the tree was about to fall over. The relief only lasted about a second when a 2 foot section from the top of the tree hit me squarely on the head and nearly knocked my lights out.  Shocked

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 6:59pm

Ouch! Both of those sound pretty nasty. Quick update on my jaw: I went to accident and emergency, a doctor yanked on my jaw for a bit, my jaw didn't budge and I was told to dose up on pain meds, start hoping it gets better by itself and then got sent away. Here's hoping it sorts itself out soon because it's getting rather boring.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:14pm

One time when making a bow I was forcing the combined strength of both highly reflexed limbs straightened against my workbench using a large 9 inch metal c-clamp. Somehow the bow twisted and shot the heavy clamp at mach 2 against my barefoot large toe splitting it open like a rotten grape.  Ouch. Took years before my toenail would even grow connected again and there's still a large split straight down the middle although at least the two sides are now connecting. Needless to say I wear shoes now when working with bows.

IP Logged

metalode
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

QLD Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 11:20am

Stupidest? Ummm,
probably when i welded my hand
to a car when I was welding in patch panels with the oxy torch.

Also put a 4 inch nail all the way through my foot when I was about 7 or 8.

Gave a girl my fishing rod to have a go when I was about 12 and ended up with the fish hook through my eyelid - that would have been the dumbest if it had actually got my eye instead.

And actually a lot more, now I think about it I'm kinda lucky apparently lol.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 12:09pm

Wow these are some bad ones. One toe related one which was really stupid happened last year. I dropped a plastic spatula onto my big toe nail and, somehow, it landed on the absolute smallest point of the spatula that it could have so all of the force of it falling was super concentrated in that one spot. It sounds ridiculous because it was just a plastic spatula, but it was absolute agony and I had trouble walking immediately afterwards it was so painful. It hit me right in the bed of the nail, meaning I had a bruised area that took half a year to grow out. Not fun.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 2:24pm

A number of years ago a few friends and I used to have fairly regular outdoor drinking parties.  We would always have a pretty good fire going, and at some point get the great idea we should jump over it.  On one these occasions there was a branch sticking out of the fire pit on the far side, and I didn't see it.  Ended up landing on it and turning my ankle over.  That got me a pretty good sprain and a couple weeks on crutches.  It was definitely the worst pain I had felt at that point in my life.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:31pm

I think one of my stupidest was around age 11 or 12. I bought a Gil Hibben throwing knife, which had nice curves like a fighting knife (and was impeccably balanced) but it had a continuous smooth line where a guard would normally go on a hunter/fighter.  You probably already know where this is going... I was swinging it around in the garage thinking I was some sort of ninja, and I didn’t notice that I was too close to the freezer. The tip of the knife put a nice gouge in the freezer door, and when the knife stopped moving, my fingers slid right along that smooth line up the handle and across the blade. Somehow I didn’t sever any tendons in my hand, but o this day I don’t understand why my parents let me collect knives at that age!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:43pm

Ok, this is only partially related to the theme, but I really need to tell you about a friend I had in college. He was the king of freak accidents. Every fall, I’d ask him about his summer, and he always had a new story involving a concussion. One year his car broke down and he hitched a ride with a trucker. They drove under a low bridge and peeled the top of the truck open like a can of sardines... and he got a concussion!  Once he fell out of a tree fort, hit his head on a branch (concussion #1), then landed on the ground on his head (concussion #2). Another time he was out fishing and a beaver with rabies jumped into his boat and started gnawing on his leg. He had to snap his fishing pole in half and stab the beaver to death with a broken pole!  No concussion that time, but it also wasn’t his first time to need rabies shots. Fun times!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 10:41pm

Ahh... a diseased beaver... the downfall of many a brave man.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 1:48am

Morphy wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 10:41pm:
Ahh... a diseased beaver... the downfall of many a brave man.  Roll Eyes

As oddly specific as the scenario is, once you’re tuned in to it, it’s surprising how often you see news articles about people being attacked by rabid beavers. I am not aware of any stories  where the beaver actually wins (or lives to bite again), but having to stab a murderous oversized rodent with a jagged broken fishing pole sounds like a really good argument for why it’s a good idea to keep a gun handy.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:22am

Turns out I haven't dislocated my jaw! But they don't what's wrong with my jaw... And now I need an MRI scan... Sigh...

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:42am

Sorry to hear that Kick.  Hope they find out what happened and it's not a big problem.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:28am

I hope that too. It's more been inconvenient than anything else. I just want it sorted.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)