Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Biggest windturbine being raised in Rotterdam (Read 1459 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Biggest windturbine being raised in Rotterdam
Aug 16th, 2019 at 3:27pm

Coming weeks the largest windturbine in the world will be installed in Rotterdam for a 4 year test phase on land. It will be 260 meters high with 107 meter long blades, and be capable of providing 16000 homes' worth of electricity to the grid per year.

Just thought it would be interesting to share.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Biggest windturbine being raised in Rotterdam
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 3:35pm

That is cool and I hope it ends up working out. Part of me though is skeptical with wind technology. Some of the research I've seen on it suggests they aren't as good for the enviorment as they were initially pitched to be. I'm not a big fan of millions of dead birds.

I wish someone would get fusion working already. That would be sort of the holy grail of energy sources. Perhaps thorium for the shorter term solution.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 3:47pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 16th, 2019 at 3:35pm:
That is cool and I hope it ends up working out. Part of me though is skeptical with wind technology. Some of the research I've seen on it suggests they aren't as good for the enviorment as they were initially pitched to be. I'm not a big fan of millions of dead birds.

I wish someone would get fusion working already. That would be sort of the holy grail of energy sources. Perhaps thorium for the shorter term solution.

Hundreds of millions of birds if not billions are killed globally by car traffic, in numbers that far exceed anything windturbines will ever reach. For example, windturbines kill about 40000 to 50000 birds a year in the Netherlands alone. Dutch car traffic kills about 2 to 8 million birds a year alone.

We have fusion working for us already. God did so for us, in the sun  Smiley Our personal nuclear reactor, on a safe distance.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 5:01pm

Imagine all of the Windmill Cancer it will cause.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 5:35pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Aug 16th, 2019 at 3:47pm:
Morphy wrote on Aug 16th, 2019 at 3:35pm:

Hundreds of millions of birds if not billions are killed globally by car traffic, in numbers that far exceed anything windturbines will ever reach. For example, windturbines kill about 40000 to 50000 birds a year in the Netherlands alone. Dutch car traffic kills about 2 to 8 million birds a year alone.

We have fusion working for us already. God did so for us, in the sun  Smiley Our personal nuclear reactor, on a safe distance.

Right. I get that. And I'm all for renewable energy. Nature is one of my *favorite"* things. I am far from advocating coal or oil. But saying just because one thing kills more than another does not automatically mean we should accept it without looking at the costs. We can weigh all the pros and cons right? No harm in that?

There's a YouTube channel called Thoughty2 that does some interesting videos on this subject.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 6:23pm

An interesting one to me would be tidal power. It's very predictable so it would not suffer as many of the problems solar and wind.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:46am

the problem with the giant windturbines is that cost and matertials against electricity generated - they just don't balance out.

The smaller vertical ones with the vertical blades are actually more efficient and cost effective.

That said, from an aesthetic point of view I LOVE the huge wind turbines !
They just make no sense economically. Sad

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 1:01pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 16th, 2019 at 6:23pm:
An interesting one to me would be tidal power. It's very predictable so it would not suffer as many of the problems solar and wind.

Tidal power is a viable source of practically unlimited, pollution free energy that's been almost completely ignored.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:04pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:46am:
the problem with the giant windturbines is that cost and matertials against electricity generated - they just don't balance out.

The smaller vertical ones with the vertical blades are actually more efficient and cost effective.

That said, from an aesthetic point of view I LOVE the huge wind turbines !
They just make no sense economically. Sad

Would the energy used to construct, maintain and decommission a 12 mW turbine be more than 1340 GWh of electricity? Because that would be its gross 20 year energy production.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:03pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 1:01pm:
Morphy wrote on Aug 16th, 2019 at 6:23pm:

Tidal power is a viable source of practically unlimited, pollution free energy that's been almost completely ignored.

Yes! Thank you! And unlike wind it's predictable and consistent. And many major cities are located on coasts. And it would seem so much easier to cage off a large section for a tidal plant to keep sea life out than to find a way to stop killing large amounts of large migratory raptors and other species that die to turbines.

I do like wind turbines in theory I just think until battery technology and the destruction of wildlife is figured out it's not my favorite solution to the problem. There's hope in our future though as we are at least making the effort to get away from fossil fuels.

@Jauke - Speaking of fusion, I believe there's some rather large fusion reactors in the process of being built. As in, really large. Hopefully we can get the problems surrounding that fixed and have our own mini sun's here on Earth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)