Send Topic Print
Hong Kong protests (Read 4680 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Hong Kong protests
Reply #15 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:02am

My city have just gone mad. Things are escalating everyday.

Don't worry, no one is going to know how to sling from me.

I have extra canned food and water stored just in case.

The airport was shut down yesterday and another crowd has gathered there to stop passengers from boarding their flight. I am not going anywhere. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:26am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 6:35am:
It started when the current governor of homg kong, who essentially works for the mainland beijing government, passed a law that meant people could be extradicted to the mainland for prosecution.

It then expanded into getting her removed from office and seems to have evolved into general protest against the beijing rule in general.

thanks for the answer.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:14pm

Sarosh wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:26am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 6:35am:
It started when the current governor of homg kong, who essentially works for the mainland beijing government, passed a law that meant people could be extradicted to the mainland for prosecution.

It then expanded into getting her removed from office and seems to have evolved into general protest against the beijing rule in general.

thanks for the answer.

The bill wasn't passed. And it wasn't to extradite people to China, rather to extradite criminals to anywhere in the world so that they can be trial for the crimes they have done. But politicians have twisted its' meaning and planted fear in the uniformed. The press stirred things up even more causing things to spin out of control. As it is, there are now known murderers who killed victims in Tai Wan roaming free in the city because the law isn't passed.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 1:27am

Regardless of who is right or wrong, the protesters don’t seem to realize that this isn’t going to be a fair fight. Beijing has all the resources and all the guns. The protesters are hoping for restraint from the same government that they are provoking... It’s not a winning position for the protesters, and it looks like it’s not going to end well.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 3:22am

Tint wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:14pm:
The bill wasn't passed. And it wasn't to extradite people to China, rather to extradite criminals to anywhere in the world so that they can be trial for the crimes they have done. But politicians have twisted its' meaning and planted fear in the uniformed. The press stirred things up even more causing things to spin out of control. As it is, there are now known murderers who killed victims in Tai Wan roaming free in the city because the law isn't passed.

murderers under the law aren't many, you don't need a new law to catch them. In my country we have more criminals over the law with diplomatic immunity and political immunity (democracy at it's best!). meanwhile they have removed asylum from universities for unknown reasons, since if a criminal was in the grounds police would just need to inform the administration before the arrest. They try to put police officers everywhere I don't think things will end well.

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 1:27am:
Regardless of who is right or wrong, the protesters don’t seem to realize that this isn’t going to be a fair fight. Beijing has all the resources and all the guns. The protesters are hoping for restraint from the same government that they are provoking... It’s not a winning position for the protesters, and it looks like it’s not going to end well.

if there is an escalation it's not going to end well .In kiev 2014 people won their government, it was a matter of public opinion so a government doesn't want to overdo it unless they can cover it up.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #20 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 8:05am

There is no good reason !
I don't remember who says that (he is north-irish) but it's true.
There is no winner in a war ; it's only the defeat of the peace.
I hope best days for Hong Kong.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #21 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 10:48am

It's super naive of me, but I can't help thinking with situations like this "Why can't we all just get along?". It's sad.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:26pm

Given what happened afterwards with Ukraine, I wouldn't exactly hold that up as a beacon of hope....

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #23 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 9:33am

Per Clausewitz (paraphrased): war is the imposition of political will on other people through the use of force. One of the primary objectives of war is to disarm the opponent in order to impose your will.

Based on that, the protesters don’t really have the means to escalate their cause to the same degree that the Chinese government does. The only “disarmament” the protesters have is the hope that an escalation of force is politically unfavorable to the government because they look like bullies. The government, on the other hand, has tanks.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 2:01pm

On a lighter note... I saw a protest sign in English that said,”Hong Kong is dangerous”
Reminds me of the old upright citizens brigade sketch with Amy Poehler:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hy0VMIH5thM&t=30

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:28pm

Kick wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 10:48am:
It's super naive of me, but I can't help thinking with situations like this "Why can't we all just get along?". It's sad.

We can be naive together I guess because I feel the same way. Most average people I know can at least be civil. I work in Houston, one of the most diverse cities on Earth. I work day to day with people of all races, creeds and cultures. And we never have issues besides day to day normal human drama.

It's unfortunate that power attracts the very corrupt which naturally leads human civilization into a constant cycle of war and conflict that for some reason the average citizen is asked to pay for in blood.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #26 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 3:37am

As I get older, the more and more convinced I get that basically all of humanity's problems are, at their core, down to greed. Whether it's for power or money or adoration or love, greed truly is the deadliest sin.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #27 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:04pm

Followed very closely by ignorance.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #28 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 9:42am

It's like the Purge on the streets of Hong Kong tonight!
Our Government just announced wearing masks will be considered illegal in protests starting at midnight tonight. Angry crowds are gathered everywhere in the city. I rushed to get my son from after school activities and almost didn't make it home. There were protesters who wanted to vandalize my car and use it as a road block to stop the traffic. I pointed to my boy and they hesitated. I sped pass them as a girl still wanted to stop me by throwing junk in front of my car. She missed then she tried throwing herself in front of me. Luckily she didn't come close...in that split second adrenaline rushed and I thought to myself I should run through her to get my family to safety regardless of the consequences...
In the rear view mirror hundreds of angry protesters with weapons in their hands started beating on the cars behind us. My wife had to shield my son's eye from the violence all around. Close call!

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #29 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 9:49am

I have canned food at home to last a while. Friends are having trouble getting food as all markets are closed.

I want freedom and democracy too but this is madness!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar)