Hong Kong protests (Read 4635 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Hong Kong protests
Aug 5th, 2019 at 1:58am

Hey guys,
I am here stuck in the middle of it all. Keeping my slings and rocks out of trouble. Let's hope trouble stays away from me.
Peace,

Tint

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Hong Kong protests
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:23am

Stay safe and good luck

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 2:29pm

Good luck Tint!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:01pm

Be safe Tint. If possible keep us posted?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 4:18pm

Horrible stuff to be seeing on the news, I can only imagine what it's like to be living in it. As the others have said, hope you remain safe and well.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 1:34am

Thanks guys! Needed that.
It's a war zone in town every weekend. My friend got tear gas floating into her apartment just last night. Streets and subway blocked. The protesters are not all peaceful as they report in the news. Lots of violence and not a lot of reason.
I live way out at the outskirts so mostly staying safe. Need to be responsible cause I have 2 boys and a young wife to look after.
Someone asked me to run a sling workshop...I had to turn them down.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 2:57am

Good luck Tint.
What is the reason for the protests? media in my country don't even talk about hong kong

Tint wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 1:34am:
Someone asked me to run a sling workshop...I had to turn them down.

I hope the protests aren't the reason you turned them down.
What kind of workshop? making slings or practicing with people?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 4:04am

The protests in Hong Kong, like any political mess, is complex and I don't claim to understand fully. People are angry and the Government didn't do their best to keep them happy. It's been going on for a long period of time. Something triggered a march then turned to a weekly protests and now the crowds are destroying the city.

The protesters wants to hurt the riot control police and those against the protesters wants to fight back. I wouldn't want to introduce the sling to them in all this madness.

I'd love to share my knowledge about the sling with anyone. But in this case I feel I have to decline knowing that they want to use it to hurt other innocent people.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 2:14pm

Sounds like a good time to bug out for a while. Got any vacation time coming?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 8:21pm

Definitely stay safe out there. If you can, store up some extra supplies at home. You may be away from the center of chaos, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a little extra food and basic supplies at home in case you aren’t able to go out for some reason.

I’d say you made the right choice to not teach a sling workshop in those conditions. Many people associate slings with protests because of the photos of Palestinian slingers. You could easily be labeled as a political operative for teaching people to sling.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 12:12pm

I knew nothing of the Hong Kong protests so I read up on it a little last night.  It sounds like a tragedy about to happen.  I have nothing against the Chinese (or any other) people but the Chinese government has always been an evil entity.  They don't like loosing these power struggles and don't mind getting heavy handed about it.  Be careful, Tint.  It might hit the fan soon.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 2:15pm

+1 on not teaching the sling workshop. In a political climate like that I would not want to be associated with any type of weapon. They might think you're organizing a resistance. They don't mess around. Our thoughts are with you Tint.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 1:11pm

Best of luck Tint. Keep your head down.

I don't see any indication that this is going to end well. It seems like there was a moment where both sides could have disengaged, each claim victory and save some face, but that moment is passed and it won't end without some real violence. I hope you and yours manage to avoid it.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 11:28pm

@Tint,
  I can hardly say it better than @Morphy, but the more I think about it (now more than a week), the wiser your refusal to introduce the sling into the situation becomes. Thanks for your care for those who may never know how much grief that care has spared them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 6:35am

it's been on the news a fair bit in the uk.

It started when the current governor of homg kong, who essentially works for the mainland beijing government, passed a law that meant people could be extradicted to the mainland for prosecution.

It then expanded into getting her removed from office and seems to have evolved into general protest against the beijing rule in general.

Absolutely do not teach anyone how to sling in this climate Monty !
I don't think anyone's been killed, yet.
That could easily change if they were slinging rocks at the police.

Just try and keep out of it and good luck !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris)