Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging at a target from different positions (Read 3838 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Slinging at a target from different positions
Aug 1st, 2019 at 2:42pm

The other day I was doing some slinging in my usual way.  I was standing in one place and throwing at a stationary target (or just in a general direction).  After a little while I decided to try something else.  On the uphill side of my yard there’s a swing set.  From where I was standing I tried to throw an ice ball through the frame (there’s only two swings, so it’s mostly open space).  The frame is pretty large, it’s about 9 feet (2.7 m) high and 12 feet (3.6 m) across.  I missed the first throw, and the second, but after that I started to get it dialed in.

This got me curious, so I moved to another spot in the yard and threw again.  Once more I missed a couple until I got used to the new distance and angle of the throw.  This has become a new challenge for me.  I started practicing throws from different locations in my yard, and I would ultimately like to be able to make every throw (or at least most of them Wink) while changing my position after each one.  My first goal is to get 12 in a row because that’s how many ice balls I carry in a bucket at one time.

Now I’m certainly not a great slinger, but this is more difficult than I would have expected.  As I mentioned, the swing set frame is a pretty big target.  But I’d like to keep that aspect simple while I get used to the moving around part.  Once I get more reliable at making the throws from different locations, I’ll make the target smaller.  Maybe I'll hang a rug or something between the swings.

Has anyone else done any slinging practice with the distance and angle of each throw constantly changing?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Slinging at a target from different positions
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 4:46pm

Yes , I practice this way as I mostly practice while walking.
Same as a traditional bow , better to practice all distances and angles.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 4:56pm

Ive always felt you should practice like you plan on using it. If that's target only, then practice like you would if you were in the Balearic competition. If it's hunting, then do lots of "stump shooting". Birds, do lots of aerial targets and so on.

One thing that is difficult for me is changing the height of the target. If you are used to slinging at a chest high target put one right on the ground and it can take away to get used to and vice versa.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 5:12pm

Yes.
I wish I could do what Mersa describes (walking and slinging) more often.
I was planning on making a video on that but since I have more important topics to address Roll Eyes here is a video on random training https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5nWKyRzKM

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 1:51am

I have started throwing from a stationary point and then, when I go and pick up the ammo, throw from where it's landed at te back of the target. Good way of keeping it interesting as well as good practice.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:31am

I used to stump shoot for a while then stop and practice about an hour then back to roving. Hopefully will be getting back to that when the temperature finally cools down.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 1:23pm

Yes, I learned to sling while walking my  last pack of Huskies, Kali and Odin.  We were always on the move and slinging at different targets of opportunity.

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 9:11pm

I learnd by shooting acorns at squirrels in my back yard,nothing like a moving target to sharpen your aim

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 10:32am

slinging at a moving target is completely different to slinging at a fixed target.

I'd say it was easier as each throw is a snap decision that just uses your hind brain.

The biggest problem with fixed target shooting is that after the first few shots - which are usually bang on. You start to consciously think about it, and that's when you start to miss.

I threw stones for a running bilbo for over 10 years. Never hit him, and as he was crap at finding stones I had to land them fairly close to where he was running towards.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 5:00pm

Thanks for all the input guys!  I'll definitely keep working with the randomized throwing distances.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:47am

Eine sehr gute Übung ist es nur nach Gehör zu schießen. Ohne Sicht.
Bewegliche Ziele zu treffen ist ein super Gefühl.
Vergessen Sie das Gerede von Stilen. Sie werden erkennen, daß Stile fließend sind. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:51am

That's very interesting.  When practicing by ear, do you have another person nearby to provide feedback.  I imagine that a target hit will be audible.  But if the throw misses, it will be difficult to determine what adjustments you need to try to make.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:54am

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 10:03am

That's excellent!
Although I picture myself walking around my yard, slinging while blindfolded.  The neighbors will think I'm crazy  Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:08pm

Jaegoor, you are the man.  That's some impressive stuff!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Kick, Rat Man)