Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unicycles (Read 1166 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Unicycles
Jul 25th, 2019 at 1:52am

Anyone here unicycle? It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time now but I've always avoided it because I didn't want to be "that guy".

Now I'm thinking, I'm nearly 40, it's time to get out there and do whatever I want while I can still do those things. 

Particularly I'm looking into mountain unicycling, but all of it looks interesting. Anyone have experience with it, or any tips on how to start, what I can expect to pay for a good beginner unicycle etc?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Unicycles
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 10:26pm

Make sure you post a video.  I'd love to see that.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 9:49am

I did unicycle a long time ago. I can definitely recommend it. It's a lot of fun. I never tried mountain unicycling though.
As a start I would get a simple unicycle, curved saddle (no bicycle saddle), with plastic or metal reinforcement in the front and back of the upholstery. You'll be grateful for that. Look that you can easily hold the saddle up from below, so that you can easily hold it while mounting.
Aim for a small wheel, so that you can step on and off easily.
Get pads: Knee, elbow, wrist/hand, helmet. Just in case  Wink.
Start training on tarmac with a rail beside you. Bridges without traffic work quite well. Just hold yourself on the rail, one foot on the pedal, get up into the saddle and place the second foot and try to ride along the rail and you'll get there eventually   Cool.

Good luck and enjoy!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:07pm

Thanks Teg. I hadn't read about the curved vs bicycle saddles yet. Good point. I assume it would just be a matter of switching one for the other ? No need to buy another one? Any and all videos will most likely be inadvertent comedies. Some day though I will be the firecest Slinger/Unicycler the world as ever know. Muahahaha....

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 11:55pm

Cycling while slinging? Shocked

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 9:45am

Slinging, sling-making, unicycles... you might as well add juggling to your list of publicly under-appreciated skills (AKA not “cool” but extremely difficult to master).

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 5:39pm

I can juggle three pretty good. I wanted to learn 4 until I realized it's "really" hard lol.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 6:46pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:07pm:
I assume it would just be a matter of switching one for the other ?

I honestly have no idea  Grin it was a long time ago.

cram wrote on Jul 27th, 2019 at 11:55pm:
Cycling while slinging?

I thought about it once as well. I tried slackline-slinging instead. It's... tricky ... Cheesy

And I'd rather sling from a unicycle than a bike. Less metal to manage while falling! Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 11:53pm

Ok, now we need video of the great Morphy juggling on a unicycle.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 6:31am

I have a unicycle, and could ride it once, but rarely use anymore. For my cycling needs I swapped to recumbents, or laid back bicycles. Much more comfort, and depending on your model, much faster than regular bikes. One I own right now is a Flevobike, which is probably as hard to ride as a unicycle at first. It's moving-bottom-bracket-front-wheel-drive recumbent that you steer 100% with your legs, a real challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFIaYuuheUU&feature=youtu.be

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)