Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kuksa (Read 2269 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Kuksa
Jul 24th, 2019 at 9:04am

I've been wanting to make a kuksa (traditional Finnish/Sami wooden cup) for quite a while now. I finally got around to making one and just finished off the last element, the toggle, a few moments ago. As a graduation present, along with the puukko knife I also posted about recently, I got a dremel tool which has opened a lot of doors and allowed me to complete this kuksa in a third of the time it would have otherwise.

It's made from a piece of birch that was destined for the fire that, unfortunately, wood worms had got to. I only realised it was full of holes when I had finished roughing out the shape and I had already spent so much time on it that I thought I should go ahead and finish it anyway. Now it's done, the holes don't seem to run all the way through and it can hold water no problem so I'm going to assume it's fine. In any case, I feel the holes and marks add character. I haven't coated it in anything yet, I want to do some research and see what they were originally treated with. It's really pretty big for a kuksa, closer to a bowl in some ways, and the bowl itslef is usually much more rounded than the rectangle mine has ended up with. In any case, I'm really happy with it. The toggle works well it seems too. So, any suggestions for coatings?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Kuksa
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 9:52am

Well done!

A traditional methode would be "Fasspech", barrel pitch.
http://www.tresbohemes.com/2015/10/the-lost-art-of-pitching-the-beer-barrels/

Otherwise a food safe laquer could work.

I have also encountered traditional vessels/bins which were uncoated. A little bit of liquid seeping through is usually not a problem.

I have waxed one vessel myself with beeswax (melt, pour in, pour out, polish / rub it in), which worked fine, but takes a bit of time to get accustomed to because of the taste and texture.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 9:59am

I would go traditional for my first. You can always make another one with a more modern finish if you want to use it all the time. On projects like these I find it hard to make just one anyways.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 10:38am

Interesting. I'll look into that. I definitely want to make some more.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 11:41am

I realised that the Finnish Wikipedia page for Kuksa has (unsurprisingly really) more information that the English page and says this about how they are finished:
"Tekovaiheessa aitoa kuksaa keitetään suolavedessä, jolloin suola imeytyy puuhun. Suola liukenee myös kuksasta juotavaan juomaan, jos kuksaa ei ennen käyttöönottoa käsitellä.[1] Suola on hygroskooppista ja sitoessaan kosteuttaa estää puun kuivumisen ja halkeamisen. Suolan liukenemisen voi estää käsittelemällä sisäpinnan kahvirasvalla, mikä tapahtuu kaatamalla kuppiin kahvia, joka muutaman minuutin päästä kaadetaan pois, sekä hinkkaamalla sisäpintaa käytetyillä, märillä kahvinporoilla. Tällöin kahvirasva imeytyy kupin sisäpintaan ja muodostaa siihen kalvon, joka estää kuksan kuivumisen ja halkeamisen ja vieraiden makujen imeytymisen.[1] Jotkin teollisesti valmistut kuksat käsitellään parafiiniöljyllä.[1]

Kuksan makua voi myös muuttaa tilkalla viinaa ennen rasvakäsittelyä.[1]"

Google translate gives this:
"In the making stage, genuine kale is boiled in brine, whereupon the salt is absorbed into the wood. The salt is also soluble in the drink from the kuka, if the kuga is not treated before being put into service [1]. The salt is hygroscopic and when bound, moisturizes to prevent the wood from drying out and cracking. Salt dissolution can be prevented by treating the inside surface with coffee fat, which is done by pouring coffee into the cup, which will be poured out after a few minutes, and by scrubbing the inside surface with the used wet coffee grounds. In this case, the coffee fat is absorbed into the inner surface of the cup and forms a film on it, which prevents the drying and cracking of the kicks and the absorption of foreign flavors. [1] Some industrially manufactured kuksas are treated with paraffin oil. [1]

Kuka flavor can also be changed with a drop of liquor before fat treatment. [1]"

There's some definite translation mistakes (there is no mention of "genuine kale" in the original text so who knows where that came from) but as far as I ca see, they would boil them in salt water then pour coffee into the cup, leave it for a few minutes then rub in coffee grounds ("coffee fat"). I should of guessed coffee was going to be part of the process Cheesy I might give this a try. I only have crappy instant coffee (left over for guests; neither me or the SO are into coffee) but it should do.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 12:00pm

I've also found this video which looks to be a very comprehensive tutorial with a proper expert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXlfszfw74I

Next I'll need to find a video of a Sami making one.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 3:11pm

Kick wrote on Jul 24th, 2019 at 11:41am:
genuine kale

would refer to burl wood (after reading wikipedia  Wink )

A quick google search yields that this wood shall be quite waterproof on its own.

And from my experience from cutting wood a pain to work  : Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 4:25pm

That lookd great, its on my list ti make one as well. I do remember reading some where that you can use beeswax as a "food grade oiil" , just have to do the double boiler with it due to  heat flash point. Only issue would be you couldnt use the beeswax for hot drinks as the heat of the liquid would  melt it, and be added to your drink. Something along those lines, dont quote me 100% its been awhile since i read it, and i am running off of not alot of sledpdue to my insomnia coming back

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 7:24pm

Nice work, Kick.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 9:22am

Teg wrote on Jul 24th, 2019 at 3:11pm:
Kick wrote on Jul 24th, 2019 at 11:41am:
genuine kale

would refer to burl wood (after reading wikipedia  Wink )

A quick google search yields that this wood shall be quite waterproof on its own.

And from my experience from cutting wood a pain to work  : Smiley

Ah ok. This one isn't burl wood unfortunately. I would dearly love to make one out of a burl. I'm on the lookout for one but I don't think there are any hiding in the wood shed at the summer cottage. I might need to buy or acquire one from somewhere else. What I've gone for for now is soaking it in coffee and rubbing in the grounds. I found from elsewhere that boiling it in salt is more for green wood. This piece, I think, originally came from the older wood shed meaning it's anything from a few years old to, potentially, 50. I don't think it's quite that old, but it's definitely been in the shed some time. Once it's dried, I'll get some more pictures of it.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 9:53am

rub it down with some neutral oil.
sunflower or rapeseed works well.
I used to use walnut oil when i was wood turning. But these days, with nut allergies all over the place - go for a vegetable oil.

Not olive oil - that has a strong taste.

Or just a modern waterproof varnish.

Nice, practical, bit of carving Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 11:18am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and kind words. I really like it but I already have plans for a second now but done in a slightly different way. I relied heavily on the dremel and did a lot of sanding on this one but I really like the aesthetic some kuksas have where they aren't sanded and still have the knife marks so I think I want to go "au natural" for the next one. Need to get a hook knife and maybe a gouge but I already have the puukko ready Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 7:54pm

I think that I'm gonna need to make one of these , been putting it off for about 3 years. I bought the hook knife to make one of these cups but never started it.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 2:54am

I really recommend making one. There's something about wooden cups.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 3:01am

Also I found another video by the same Youtube channel about carving a kuksa from a burr/burl. I really like the style of these videos and the content is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71RTGmr8R6Y

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)