Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
neuralink-Didn't know we are so technologically advanced (Read 2958 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

neuralink-Didn't know we are so technologically advanced
Jul 18th, 2019 at 4:25am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA77zsJ31nA

So many things can go wrong with this.
Now AI can literally penetrate our ranks. It will be so funny that one day antivirus will be able to delete humans or human thoughts. Lips Sealed

well the good that can come out of this is that we realise how pointless life is and just do our pointless tasks more joyfully .

I wonder what will be the value of practical training (e.g. for slinging and sports), IQ and money, in a society which half the population uses this device everyday.

we could either work as bees in a honeycomb and build a new babel tower or split into homo sapiens and powerful superhybrids which with a wrong upgrade can turn from rulers to slaves.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: neuralink-Didn't know we are so technologically advanced
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 1:21pm

I'm firmly in the Sam Harris camp on AI. AI is the biggest threat to humans bar none. Climate change, nuclear war are all laughable compared to it, because unlike those other things it's both inevitable and no one has a clue what will happen or how to control it. Not even the slightest idea. In that sense it's like the event horizon of a black hole. Our minds are not capable of comphrending the motivations of something with 1000+ iq. They are literally creating something with god-like intelligence and hoping it's on our side. 

I think the end result will be a hive mind for those who take it. People will lose all sense of self and become nothing more than an annex to AI. Walking vacation homes for the central AI if you will. 

That being said I'm not terribly worried about it. The next 50 years are going to be a bumpy ride. There's no stopping it. Once generalized AI becomes a thing most jobs cease to exist. Robotics technology is advancing at a break neck speed to provide the hardware for the ai software. Universal basic income will become a reality. I really feel bad for highschool kids looking to go into med school. AI is already a far better diagnostician than most humans, and that's 90% of a GPs job.  If they do make it through school they will have maybe 10-15 years to pay off their debt and get as much money as they can. Amazon's Alexa is already being set up to diagnose in home. Things are changing so fast.

Anyways I'm rambling. It's a very interesting subject.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 2:28pm

We will become The Borg.  Cell phones were the first step.  Brainchip implants will happen this century.  I'm glad I won't be here to see it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:12am

I think it’s the other way around Morphy. AI is another one of man’s narcissistic ways of replicating himself. We won’t be enslaved or absorbed by it any more than we are lured or tempted by a mirror. The underlying problem is our vanity, not the technology that manifests it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 9:07am

Actually most existing AI's sole purpose is to sell us things Smiley

The AI neural networks currently in place and seriously in contention for the title of 'skynet' are owned by: amazon, apple, & google.

Godlike ?
Well mankind has always made it's gods in it's own image. So no reason to wipe us out.

I don't think the matrix is happening any time soon.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 7:45pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:12am:
I think it’s the other way around Morphy. AI is another one of man’s narcissistic ways of replicating himself. We won’t be enslaved or absorbed by it any more than we are lured or tempted by a mirror. The underlying problem is our vanity, not the technology that manifests it.

It's a vast subject. However comparing it to a mirror might be a little shortsighted. I do actually agree with you that (I'll change it a little) AI "at it's best" is mankinds narcissistic way of replicating himself. I say at it's best because assuming it does literally NOTHING but what we tell it to it's still a source of power and will, without a shred of doubt, eventually be used in a corrupt manner due to human nature. We know this. History teaches us repeatedly there is no other possible outcome than the above. It may do alot of good as well but there's no way to get past that fact.

Keep in mind generalized AI is not a thing yet so there is simply no way to know what it  will end up doing. "god-like" with a little g, is by no means an exaggeration. Much smarter people than myself have acknowledged this as an inevitability. We may not know exactly in what direction it will go or to what extent. We certainly can't know any motivation it might have, but few people that are considered experts in this subject discount that compared to us it will be basically god-like. 

Again, we aren't talking about the very specilized AI we have now. Hell the most advanced chess computers are like demi-gods already in one thing. No human, anywhere, can hope to beat them at this point. When generalized AI happens and there's no reason to believe it wont,  not only will computers become like this for most things they will have the ability to rewrite their own code at the unbelievably advanced rate only a computer can do. That's when the real explosion of AI happens. And happens quick.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 8:21pm

An excellent 1970 movie that dealt with this subject.  A defense computer gets too big for his britches and takes over the world. 
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1563438302

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 9:27am

This is by far the best rendition of the robot apocalypse meme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BcFHvEpP7A

@Morphy, speaking as someone who works with AI, I predict that today’s AI will probably not generalize but will go the other way. If anything the trend will be to make the neural networks more transparent and auditable, because we would never trust them in critical applications unless they are fully understood.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 1:24pm

talk to your: phone, tv, smart box - generalised AI IS what we currently have.

Chess computers are not nor have they ever been AI.
Intelligence is not required to play chess. It's sheer calculation - nothing else.

There is No random element in chess - so just memory and calculation are all that is required, intelligence is only necessary for game that has a random element and thus infinite options.
Chess only has finite options - albeit a lot of them.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 2:38pm

Chess computers are not nor have they ever been AI.
Intelligence is not required to play chess. It's sheer calculation - nothing else.

Alphazero, an AI playing "chess computer" taught itself chess in a matter of hours from scratch and beat the brute-force world champion chess computers easily. So, no that is incorrect.

As to the other points, it's worth doing research on. Plenty of better spokesman out there than myself.

NOOC, I hope you are right. Im sure you're aware of the two AI's that within a short time of talking to each other created their own language so only they could understand each other. I was listening awhile back to Sam Harris on the subject and he talked about potential ways of testing out the motivation of AI and some of the safe guards that would be needed. It reminded me somewhat of people working with bioweapons or deadly viruses. The need to safeguard them from getting out into the real world is just as critical. The only difference being they can "think".

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 8:36pm

Oh boy. Before I got into this field my thoughts lined up more with the Sam Harris's and Elon Musk's, but now having been pretty close to AI research for a couple years, and with many colleagues in it now I am much less concerned. Demystifying the tech makes it a lot less scary indeed.

Firstly, as far as I can see general AI is a far off pipe dream, hell, nobody even seems to bother working on it, the only place I hear about it is the internet, literally I can't even remember seeing any AGI work in academia ever, unless I deliberately search for it, and then it's usually just a theoretical perspective, rarely anything with even the most rudimentary function. Also smart devices are certainly not general AI, they have multiple types of narrow AI in them, eg- face recognition, speech to text etc. A phone with general AI could learn all those things and continue to learn a wide variety of tasks as well as making plans, reasoning and other stuff.

Pretty much all AI today is essentially tools that process data and move around their parameters according to the data they process. These are highly effective for certain tasks (mostly data processing) and could certainly change the world. However, they are certainly not liable to suddenly overwrite their programming or do anything that requires agency. AI like this is not an entity, it's just a method of computing and data processing. The chances of a cutting edge neural network sprouting agency are exactly equivalent to your dishwasher sprouting agency, that is to say- zero.

I have to just quickly go for the two AI's 'talking' to each other story too, the AI that facebook allegedly shut down because they were 'scared'. The hype around this springs from what can only be described as abysmal, trash tier reporting and talking about the AI like they are making their own decisions or trying to deceive their masters. You will be glad to know that this story is absolute rubbish. The truth is when you have two programs which are programmed to try to spew sentences back and forth you (like with the vast majority of failed experiments) often start to generate gibberish. To treat this as if the AI's were deliberately conspiring is irresponsible reporting in the extreme. Again, these things crunch numbers according to well known rules, they have the agency of your dishwasher.

If you want a good laugh read the Harry Potter AI generated chapter, it illustrates how little the AI understands the actual text and how it's basically just a data spewer trying to replicate the patterns that we feed into it. It captures JKs style... somewhat, but has the structure and narrative of an acid trip fever dream.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 10:06pm

@Judo Thankfully we have well versed people like yourself and NOOC to keep people like myself from spinning into complete nihilism.   Grin

One thing I wonder about is how likely we are to even see such generalized AI if it is created. I have always thought that with a technology such as this the very moment it is created it will go black immediately. The secerecy would make the Manhattan project look like the front page of the New York Times. That, too me, is the only reasonable response to creating a "genie-in-the-bottle" tech.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 4:02pm

@Morphy, that scenario makes the highly unlikely assumption that the hypothetical AI singularity is created in some secretive government lab with the ability to keep things quiet. I think Silicon Valley is probably closer to the bleeding edge of AI than the super secret squirrel laboratories full of operators operating operationally, but let’s just pretend you’re right... theoretically, such an AI super being would be indistinguishable from humans online, so you may not even need to make it disappear to keep things quiet. You just need to give it a Facebook account and set it loose in political discussion groups where “the other side“ (no matter what side you are on) is frequently classified as less than human already Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 4:43pm

"such an AI super being would be indistinguishable from humans online, so you may not even need to make it disappear to keep things quiet. You just need to give it a Facebook account and set it loose in political discussion groups where “the other side“ (no matter what side you are on) is frequently classified as less than human already."

Plot Twist: NOOC and JudoP are in fact the very AI they are claiming does not exist.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 7:24pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 4:43pm:
Plot Twist: NOOC and JudoP are in fact the very AI they are claiming does not exist.

Grin Grin Grin

I have verification from other forum members I met this year! Unless they all are also AI...!

The funny thing is I don't want to come down really hard on the side of 'there's absolutely nothing to worry about', because these AI algorithms (and robotics) can be very disruptive technology, which could bring about vast changes in economics, the job market, defence etc.

As for AGI, I agree it seems to me like a huge thing on paper and in the media... but from the ground level - it's just not. I see a lot of theorycrafting and shaky assumptions from the AGI alarmist crowd, which in my view doesn't survive contact with the reality of research, experimentation and the huge unknowns in how human level intelligence works and even the nature of intelligence. The result is something that sounds certainly plausible to a casual reader and is sadly exacerbated by sensationalist reporting, portraying AI as some terrifying boogey-man ready to conquer the world any second. Yet- as much as I rail against all that- there is still cause for concern in the longer term, as I personally can't think of any reason in principle that we can't replicate human level thinking at some point... I just think it's going to be a lot longer and more gradual road get there, if we ever do make it. You never know though  Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)