Send Topic Print
Hurricane Barry (Read 1160 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Hurricane Barry
Jul 15th, 2019 at 12:23am

Barry is currently moving up through the center of the country causing much flooding.  He's supposed to make a right turn and be here in Jersey by Friday.  Like a good bit of the country, we've had more rain this year than in decades.  We are very saturated.  If Barry really dumps on us we'll flood too.  I'm not that concerned where I'm at.  Even though I'm on a lake this exact area isn't prone to flooding. But lots of the state is.  We'll see.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hurricane Barry
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 11:10am

I was supposed to get up to 15-20 (1/2m ish) inches, so far, in the last 48 hours I have gotten about 3 (75mm) inches.  And that was in showers several hours apart as bands moved over me.

The creeks haven't even risen.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 4:02pm

We've had some thunderstorms because of Barry. I was working up in Huntsville on Saturday and it came down hard for several hours. So far Houston missed most of it. Should be great for the mushrooming though.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 8:20pm

It looks like he fell apart quickly.  I think we got lucky with this one.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 5:42pm

The remains of Barry arrive here in Jersey tonight. We'll see what he has left. Right now it's like a steam bath out here... typical mid July day.
Hazy, hot, and humid. We should see triple digit temperatures this weekend.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:14pm

@Rat Man - I hear that.  In PA and dealing with the exact same thing.  It's just miserable out.  But for some reason, the cat loves it outside when it's like this.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 2:31pm

Cats love heat.  All of mine did. Though arctic beasts, Huskies love to sunbathe on days like this.  They all do it.  They'll lay in the sunlight during the hottest part of the day for a half and hour or so.  Their fur will be almost too hot to touch.  The only logical explanation that I can come up with for this behavior is that possibly it helps to control fleas or mites when they're in their wild state.  Other than that I haven't got a clue.
    I walked Pandora this morning.  I kept it short... just a mile or so.  We took the shadiest route possible.  Just the same we were both cooked when we got back. It's like a sauna out there.  I was soaked.  No more dog walking until Monday when this is supposed to end.  It's just too hot to walk Huskies and Little Turd Dogs

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 5:38pm

BTW when the remains of Barry passed through here a couple of nights ago it looked very ominous.  Clouds blowing in opposite directions, wind hitting me from the front and back at the same time (how is this possible);  it looked like all hell was about to break out.  When it was all said and done though, despite all of his bluster Barry amounted to nothing more than an average Summer thunderstorm. Barry was basically a dud.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar)