Bull whips (Read 5115 times)
Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Re: Bull whips
Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 12:26pm

Here's my first polypro bullwhip,
and my currently prefered sling, witch I call "the spoon". the release is braidred like a bullwhip, from 12 strands down to 4, and the protective leather at it's base actually acts like a handle.

PS: obviously, the handle of the whip is not finished...

b20190808_145218.jpg (321 KB | 47 )
b20190808_145218.jpg
b20190808_145336.jpg (321 KB | 34 )
b20190808_145336.jpg

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 3:10pm

Beautiful whip!  I really like the pattern you made.
The sling looks great too!  I imagine you get a nice loud crack when you throw with that one.  Cheesy

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #17 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 3:21pm

Nice work Frondeur, that's an interesting sling design too.

I've now completed two more whips. One an improved version of the first, but significantly thicker and more beefy, and the second a shorter, but playful little snakewhip.

Having improved my whip cracking skills these whips just get louder and louder... Especially the beefy bullwhip which  can put out bangs that literally set your ears ringing, even in the hands of a relative beginner. At first I thought they were on par with my loudest cracking slings but now it's clear they are far, far louder. I'm even afraid to crack them so much because people might report them into the police as gunshots or maybe kids playing with fireworks.

Nice party trick though and I'm enjoying making them, though the turks head heel knot is a tricky little beggar.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:09pm

Don't speak that knots name! The one I've attempted was a nightmare. It came out ok but it was HOURS of tiny adjusting.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:15pm

Here they are-
Left: 6ft khaki & brown bullwhip (difficult to tell the colours apart though, just gives it a nice looking sheen)
Right: 3.75ft brown and green snakewhip.

Both shot loaded, two bellies + 16 plat overlay and 6x7 turks head heel knots.

whips_resized.jpg (735 KB | 63 )
whips_resized.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:35pm

Man you guys are talented. Nothing brings in the chicks like a man who can make bullwhips....probably.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #21 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 3:40am

Yeah I'm not going to bother posting my efforts... I need some more practice first.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #22 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 8:40am

Morphy wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:35pm:
Man you guys are talented. Nothing brings in the chicks like a man who can make bullwhips....probably.

I wish!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #23 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 8:42am

Kick wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:09pm:
Don't speak that knots name! The one I've attempted was a nightmare. It came out ok but it was HOURS of tiny adjusting.

If it helps, I followed this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBxcIwT4fA&t=886s

It's still pretty difficult though before you complete a full pass, then it's easy.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #24 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 2:29pm

Great looking whips JudoP!  I've got this on my list as an activity to try this winter.  It will be something to do when it's cold, but no snow for snowball slinging.  Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 2:53pm

Judo those whips are gorgeous!
Here’s a preview of my first attempt at a whip... I guess it’s going to be a stock whip since the plaiting doesn’t cover the handle.  It’s going to be around 6-feet long past the handle; 4-strand core with a 12-strand outer plait. Fairly conventional overall.  It’s loosely based on tutorials but definitely with my own twists too. For example, I started off with a piece of an aluminum handle from a Swiffer mop and I put a monkey’s fist on the butt end instead of a Turk’s head.
To mount the monkeys fist, I put a steel pin through the handle and twisted a loop of paracord on the inside until the monkey fist was tight against the bottom. A few circles of scrap leather work as a buffer so the aluminum tube won’t cut into the monkeys fist. The aluminum has notches so the leather and ball won't spin backwards, and I’ll probably glue it down too for good measure.  Later, I plan to do a leather wrap over the handle to hide those leather discs and any glue residue.  Other than the handle though, it’s a fairly standard paracord whip.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2019 at 1:09am by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 6:51pm

Nice whips!  Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 11:15pm

True MEN sweep with Swiffer whips.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 1:18am

Morphy wrote on Aug 30th, 2019 at 11:15pm:
True MEN sweep with Swiffer whips.

True men can finish building a whip in under a month!
I’m progressing at about two inches per day so far.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:54am

Finally!  I learned a lot from making this whip... mostly about what not to do (like starting from a Swiffer handle Grin )
Next time I’ll follow some instructions, but I’m happy with how it came out overall.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)