Goodbye Cable TV (Read 2623 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Goodbye Cable TV
Reply #15 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 5:17pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 3:40pm:
I used to be very liberal with what I would watch, and I watched way too much crap. Eventually I became so sick of all the bad things media promotes today. Why is it allowed?

I really see no reason for horror genres or psychopatic series like Hannibal to exist. All it does is promote mental illness. Anyone who enjoys watching that type of stuff should really question himself.

Been about a year I cancelled out any fiction shows whatsoever. No services, no television. My mind is clearer and overall more certain regarding what I want to do in life. There are much, much better ways to relax and escape than to waste it watching fiction, and the fiction isn't even good.

I barely even follow the news anymore. I used to  keep up with everything on the internet every day for years! Constant streams of negativity, day in, day out. It was making me bitter and cynical. I had to make a change. One day about a year ago I just stopped following the news, except for tid bits every now and then. I've become a lot more optimistic and happy since.

I stopped following the news decades ago.  Enough news tidbits filter down to me through the internet to keep me informed about any new happenings.  If I'm really interested in something  I can look it up.  News providers sensationalize EVERYTHING. Plus they focus on negative and disturbing items.  I'll watch a story on a news show and ask myself "Why do I need to know that depressing bit of horse crap?" The answer is that I don't and I'm happier without it.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 6:19pm

No cable no tv no news. We watch a movie (cd) every now and then. If it gets stupid violent or boring, I just go read or work on one of my many hobbies. Or just go to sleep. I am definately happier than I used to be Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:56am

There is a lot in the news which just isn't necessary to know. "200 die in a train crash in a country on the other side of the world" so I need to know about some horrible suffering I can do nothing to help with? I'm supposed to just know that and then carry on the rest of the day knowing, not just guessing but actually knowing for sure, there are people experiencing the worst grief and anguish imaginable? Great. Thanks 24/7 news!

With avoiding some media because of it's content, I've done that with some programs when it involves... oh boy... well... assault of a sexual nature. It's why I haven't watched Game of Thrones. I don't want to see that. I don't want it even really alluded to. It's not going to give me some great insight, it's not going to be great entertainment for me. It's just horrible. It's too often used for shock value and then explained away as "gritty" and "gives characters emotional depth". No. I disagree. It's a crutch and often the sign of an ignorant writer. It's not entertainment. I'm really very liberal and think that art can and absolutely should challenge people and confront taboos and nothing should be off limits, BUT (and it's a big but, capital letters and everything) it should be done well, with purpose and for the right reasons. Chucking in a scene so they can get some T&A in is frankly despicable. Not for me.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 4:26pm

News invariable involves politics and the older I get the more I understand why speaking about politics was considered rude for a very long time. That was not public or normal interaction. It was something reserved for close friends and political organizations. Without that personal connection, it's easy to find a hateful/crazy/dangerous example of the "other" team and wind up in an echo chamber about how dangerous "they" are. So I still check the news but I don't obsess about it anymore. And I don't discuss it often or with many people.

What's kosher in entertainment is a good question. Taste varies. And ever will. And we can and should argue about whether something was done well, added to the story, made you think, or was just titillation. Again though, those are conversations best had in person.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 7:14pm

I'm a few days into this new cable TV free way of life.  Cable TV is a sort of addiction.  You get hooked on your shows.  They become a regular part of your life. In beating any addiction a certain amount of withdraw is involved.  I do miss it some. I miss some of the shows I had a lot of time invested in.  It is a little depressing.  But in the overall scheme of things this is small potatoes.  I'll get over it.
Edit:  I've had Cable TV for almost forty years so this is an adjustment for me.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2019 at 9:05am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)