Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Smooth release cords- technique (Read 4815 times)
slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Smooth release cords- technique
Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 5:19pm

I have started using small beads. You can buy about x50 for a few shillings.
They give you the exact same feel each throw and release and are easy to replace.
Make sure the beads are not to big,  long oval shape are best. 16x8mm with 3mm dia hole.
I would really reccomend beads with para cord slings.

SRFF

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 1:17pm

Another in favor of a tab of some kind.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:09pm

something more aerodynamic than a tab may be just a cm of 2 of whipping layed over some stitching
This creates a very hard and grippy surface

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #18 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 2:54pm

I am not a fan of knots, and so I only use smooth cords. My 18" sisal Balearic sling has a release that is 5mm wide and 3mm thick. I find this is more than thick enough to throw 500g stones at full power. I actually prefer a slightly thinner cord for  ~250g stones (my comfortable, preferred weight).
Naturally, the deciding factor is the material. I don't have as much grip with hemp or wool, and therefore the release has to be thicker.

Balearic_release.jpg (133 KB | 13 )
Balearic_release.jpg

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 11:51pm

Whipping. Four or five wraps then three or four. Two, one and run the needle down through the whipping and cord.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 8:11am

I've added stitching for grip along my where I hold it and also tried whipping like Walter.
I'm a knot guy though. Just a simple overhand pulled tight and small.
Lets me relax instead of pinching so hard. It also lets me draw my sling without checking the evenness each time too.
I don't really like tabs but I don't throw big rocks either so that tracks lol

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #21 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 8:10pm

Double fisherman knot for me

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 1:04pm

What I've done recently instead of a knot is looping the strands in the braid back into itself, creating (1) an extra-thick length of braid that can begin and end where you need it, and (2) makes it so that the braid terminates in three loops, instead of six individual strands, which makes for a cleaner end and eliminates fraying. On this sling (see below), I have one "lump" at where my thumb and index finger rest when the sling is even, and another where my little finger would rest.

On a separate note, does the phrase "six-strand" or "three-strand" refer to the number of continuous strands used in the braid, or how many strands thick the braid is? The method I use to make my slings involves starting the braid in the middle of the strands, and then folding it over and braiding the two halves together, turning a 3-strand braid into a six-strand braid, or a six-strand braid into a twelve-strand, and so on.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 3:23pm

@
Captain_Twine

A three strand braid is just that - three strands. Doesn't matter how many threads per strand. Same for 4, 5, 6 etcetera Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #24 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 4:18pm

Tomas wrote on Jul 10th, 2020 at 8:11am:
Lets me relax instead of pinching so hard. It also lets me draw my sling without checking the evenness each time too.

The way I avoid this is by gripping the whole cord or 'full hand grip), so that my hand is relaxed while maintaining good grip. After practicing with smooth cords, It also became instinctive where I need to hold on the release cord, so for me it isn't really an issue. I also really like the feel of the 'gradual' release of smooth cords, but again, each to their own.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 12:10am

Archaic Arms wrote on Jul 12th, 2020 at 4:18pm:
Tomas wrote on Jul 10th, 2020 at 8:11am:

The way I avoid this is by gripping the whole cord or 'full hand grip), so that my hand is relaxed while maintaining good grip. After practicing with smooth cords, It also became instinctive where I need to hold on the release cord, so for me it isn't really an issue. I also really like the feel of the 'gradual' release of smooth cords, but again, each to their own.

I think you are the only one that has actually answered the original question of "pinch grip or whole hand grip?"  I have tried smooth cords again recently and am becoming more of a fan of them. As long as the cord is thick enough, you can get a good grip. However, I have to use a combination of pinch and whole hand. My index and thumb pinch grip the top part of the cord and then my ring finger and pinky hold the rest of the cord. It took some getting used to, since I usually use a tab.  But now that I've gotten used to it, I can switch quite readily between a cord and tab and it only takes a few shots to re-adjust.

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 12:02pm

IronGoober wrote on Aug 14th, 2020 at 12:10am:
I think you are the only one that has actually answered the original question of "pinch grip or whole hand grip?"  I have tried smooth cords again recently and am becoming more of a fan of them. As long as the cord is thick enough, you can get a good grip. However, I have to use a combination of pinch and whole hand. My index and thumb pinch grip the top part of the cord and then my ring finger and pinky hold the rest of the cord. It took some getting used to, since I usually use a tab.  But now that I've gotten used to it, I can switch quite readily between a cord and tab and it only takes a few shots to re-adjust.

Recently I've been making my release cords slightly thicker so that I don't need as much pressure to grip 200-250g stones, as I found that doing some velocity measurements with my 22" Balearic, told me that stones in that weight range are optimal for power.
The 'grippier' the material, the better.
I do something similar to you in that I also pinch with the index in the full hand grip, and as I use lighter stones I put more reliance on the 'pinch'-style grip so that it releases easier.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #27 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 5:05am

I think I ended up with something like what you guys are describing. Slightly thicker cord and a full hand/pinch combined grip. I quite often go for smooth cord now, but also use minimalist tabs on some slings.

IP Logged

darksidedsam
Tiro

Stone, Spin, Sling!

Essex, England
Reply #28 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 6:39pm

Ive been looking and i have only found 1 picture so far, anyone got any pictures of smooth leather release tabs??

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #29 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 7:57pm

I've actually changed methods since this topic started.  When it first came up, I used a smooth release cord pretty much all the time.  But when slinging last winter, I was having trouble hanging on because my fingers got too cold.  I started using a simple overhand knot (which greatly helped), and still do now.  Although in my braided slings I only tie the knot tight enough to hold it, but not so tight that I can't take it out.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Kick)