Send Topic Print
Time Out Again (Read 1675 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Time Out Again
Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:27am

There was a picture of a Yemini child who was starved down to being a skeleton. The comment was "If they didn't breed like cockroaches they wouldn't be starving." My response was as you might imagine so I'm in Facebook jail for another month. c_a, would you please go to my page and notify my followers that I'm on vacation again. Thanks.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Re: Time Out Again
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:47pm

Yeah, Facebook is run by snowflakes who are afraid of any conflict or debate. So much so they go out of their way to temp ban anyone who could be seen as “problematic”. As Orwellian as they behave, they as a private business unfortunately can choose to pull these measures to censor their enemies and promote their aliies.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 4:33am

done Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 8:59am

Let’s compare, shall we?...
Facebook: moderated by an algorithm that hides and protects the human moderators from responsibility. People are inconsistently punished for behavior based on how easy it is for an algorithm to detect “abuse”, and many people are punished for using specific words regardless of context.

Slinging.org: administered and moderated by CA and a band of merry volunteers. If you’re kicked out, you know why and you know who decided to do it.

Facebook: you are not a user, you’re a product... like cattle. Facebook sells your information to advertisers who then bombard you with ads not just on Facebook but everywhere you go on the web.

Slinging.org: the site hosting is paid for by an anonymous benefactor and managed voluntarily by CA. Zero ads. We are a community, not a commodity.

Don’t get me wrong... I understand why people use Facebook. There are real benefits, but the platform is also designed to be a type of psychological drug that encourages emotional addiction, and the horrible privacy record and history of manipulation by Facebook is obviously not enough for most people to stay away from the emotional highs. I simply choose not to participate because I don’t like being treated like cattle, and I don’t trust that they will do what’s right when it comes down to taking care of people versus holding on to power and profits.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 9:58am

Anonymous ? hardly Smiley
Illustrious - maybe.
Slinging.org was founded by Chris harrison (does a quick search) good god, he's even got his own wikipedia page !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Harrison_(computer_scientist)

Well that explains a lot, he's actually English ! Smiley

Quote:
or his contributions in human-computer interaction, Harrison was named a top Young Scientist by the World Economic Forum (2014),[2] one of six innovators to watch by Smithsonian (2013),[9] a top 30 scientist under 30 by Forbes (2012),[3] and a top 35 innovator under 35 by MIT Technology Review (2012),[4]. Most recently, Harrison and his students won a Fast Company Innovation by Design Award for their work on EM-Sense.[10] Over the course of his career, Harrison has been awarded fellowships by the Packard Foundation, Google, Qualcomm and Microsoft Research.

And he does still pay the bills, bless him. As well as dig me out of the odd hole the server administrators occasionally shovel for us.
A thoroughly great bloke Smiley
I have yet to shake his hand in person, it'll come Smiley

As far as advert free goes - it's not from want of wanting, believe me. I need the money !

Just need to find someone who can shove ads at people not logged in as members with semi-appropriate content: gadgets, bushcraft type things, that kind of crap.

it's over 5 million hits a year, somebody ought to be interested. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2019 at 11:37am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 11:49am

Well anonymous is perhaps the wrong word. He takes no credit and expects nothing in return for his generosity.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 5:05pm

One good thing about Facebook is that sooner or later the next big thing will come along and replace it.  It's the nature of the business. Remember when ICQ was a big deal. Then my space.  Many souls are very anxious for the next innovation in social media to come along so we can tell Facebook to shove it.
c_a;
    Thanks much for posting that message in tRump Haters Unite.  Could  you please also post the same thing on my personal page.  Some of my friends and followers aren't members of tRump Haters.
Many thanks.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 5:13pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 27th, 2019 at 8:59am:
Let’s compare, shall we?...
Facebook: moderated by an algorithm that hides and protects the human moderators from responsibility. People are inconsistently punished for behavior based on how easy it is for an algorithm to detect “abuse”, and many people are punished for using specific words regardless of context.

Slinging.org: administered and moderated by CA and a band of merry volunteers. If you’re kicked out, you know why and you know who decided to do it.

Facebook: you are not a user, you’re a product... like cattle. Facebook sells your information to advertisers who then bombard you with ads not just on Facebook but everywhere you go on the web.

Slinging.org: the site hosting is paid for by an anonymous benefactor and managed voluntarily by CA. Zero ads. We are a community, not a commodity.

Don’t get me wrong... I understand why people use Facebook. There are real benefits, but the platform is also designed to be a type of psychological drug that encourages emotional addiction, and the horrible privacy record and history of manipulation by Facebook is obviously not enough for most people to stay away from the emotional highs. I simply choose not to participate because I don’t like being treated like cattle, and I don’t trust that they will do what’s right when it comes down to taking care of people versus holding on to power and profits.

The reason I put up with Facebook's crap is because since 2016 I've been more politically active than ever before in my lifetime. Facebook is a convenient way to reach a lot of people.  One good post can reach literally thousands of people. 
    Every day I read posts from people who are disgusted with Facebook's bull jive. As soon as something better or even equal to it comes out people will desert it in droves.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 9:35pm

This time Facebook decided to put me in Limbo.  I am one month into a three month sentence.  I can't post to my groups, join any groups, and no one is notified when I post on my page so no one reads my posts. 
    I have been very careful to avoid posting anything that could possibly violate Facebook's community standards lately.  For the past month I have been asking Facebook to show me what I posted that got me this three month sentence.  For the past month they have completely ignored my question. Facebook sucks.  I tried MeWe as an alternative but it's not even close to being at Facebook's level.  Someone will eventually come up with a viable alternative that isn't run by assholes.  I can't wait.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 8:43am

My one friend has moved to Vietnam for a year to teach English and one of my other friends was joking around saying how he had "abandoned him" and so I joined in on the joke and commented "Men are pigs".

That got flagged and removed. I didn't get a ban but I got a stern warning which I found hilarious. I still have the screenshot.

It's really quite funny to watch these things play out because it's just so obvious that these companies are flailing around trying to control the internet when the internet cannot ever be truly controlled.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 10:04pm

I tried MeWe for a few weeks.  I really tried to make it work because I really hate Facebook.  Today I deleted my MeWe account.  It's just a sorry little bare bones nothing site.  Someone will come up with a viable Facebook alternative and when they do people will flock to it. Facebook sucks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)