Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
More slinging practice videos including staff sling (Read 4068 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
More slinging practice videos including staff sling
Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:05am

I spent a very hot afternoon slinging for a good few hours. I got a lot of footage which I've heavily edited down. For some reason I was kind of off my game. Not all that great slinging but a few good shots here and there. I also tried out the staff sling again which still needs a lot of work. The hook is just too hooked and sends the tennis balls directly into the ground. I adjusted it while I was out there but still needs work.

Slinging:
https://youtu.be/iJBt4WEnA6U

Staff sling:
https://youtu.be/NyVR1yigk6A

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: More slinging practice videos including staff sling
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 12:57pm

Nice!
You’re obviously more comfortable with a normal sling than a staff sling Smiley
What do you use for video editing?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 4:34pm

Nice man! You definitely seem more consistent with fig-8 or at least that day you were lol

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:20pm

I like it!  It looks like you have a number of shots that bounce through the legs of the target without actually hitting it and knocking it down.  Is that happening, or is it just the way it looks to me in the video?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 3:04am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 12:57pm:
Nice!
You’re obviously more comfortable with a normal sling than a staff sling Smiley
What do you use for video editing?

Yeah I've done almost no practice with the staff sling and, like I say, it's not working quite right yet. I just use the video editing software that came with my computer. It's clunky and very limited but it all adds to the charm of the videos  Wink

Tomas wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 4:34pm:
Nice man! You definitely seem more consistent with fig-8 or at least that day you were lol

It's weird because I started off slinging doing helicopter and Fig 8 was impossible. Now it's almost completely reversed. Does depend as well on the day.

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:20pm:
I like it!  It looks like you have a number of shots that bounce through the legs of the target without actually hitting it and knocking it down.  Is that happening, or is it just the way it looks to me in the video?

I was mostly aiming to go through the legs rather than hit it, but a few times I wanted to hit them just because it always looks cool to hit them Cheesy Unfortunately, that means I have to go set them up up again so aiming through the legs means a little less walking back and forth Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 7:00pm

A great place to sling Tennis balls!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:33pm

Kick;
   Your problem with the staff sling probably isn't with the hook.  It might be with the angle the pouch hangs at.  Try changing the length of either the release or retention cord to change the angle that the pouch hangs at when the staff is parallel to the ground.  Usually the easiest way to do this is to move the point at which the retention cord is attached to the staff.  There used to be a handy diagram here to illustrate this but unfortunately it was lost several years ago.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 2:13am

Ah ok thanks! I think I need to dedicate a full day to testing and adjusting to get it right. I guess I should have expected it but it's really taking a lot of tuning to get it perfect.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 3:09am

timpa wrote on Jun 15th, 2019 at 7:00pm:
A great place to sling Tennis balls!

It really is! There are occasionally people walking through or cycling but mostly I have the area to myself Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 10:12pm

Once you get it right you'll love staff slings.  They're loads of fun to design and use.  Plus they allow you to launch some really big, heavy projectiles.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 12:45am

Just a tip on your Helicopter with your hand sling video to make it even better is that I would suggest moving your slinging arm further back. Generally; I’m currently taking notes from David Morningstar’s content, which essentially his general rule of thumb in how to engage the muscles is a movement that feels almost like driving the hand (and physically; obviously the rest of the arm behind it) straight towards the target and as a result; most of the throw’s power coming from what he describes as, “The sling whipping around the hand,” during your arm’s follow through.

Describing slinging in words is really weird haha.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 2:51am

Die meiste Kraft kommt aus der Hüfte.
Diese ist zuerst in der vorwärts Bewegung. Der Arm wird dann folgen.
Sie brauchen viel weniger Kraft und erreichen eine höhere Geschwindigkeit.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 4:12am

Funditor406 wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 12:45am:
Just a tip on your Helicopter with your hand sling video to make it even better is that I would suggest moving your slinging arm further back. Generally; I’m currently taking notes from David Morningstar’s content, which essentially his general rule of thumb in how to engage the muscles is a movement that feels almost like driving the hand (and physically; obviously the rest of the arm behind it) straight towards the target and as a result; most of the throw’s power coming from what he describes as, “The sling whipping around the hand,” during your arm’s follow through.

Describing slinging in words is really weird haha.

Yeah it's always difficult to explain slinging in words. It's weird because I used to be good with helicopter but I've completely lost it. Then again it seems to come back for a bit at other times so *shrug*. I think I basically just need more practice. I'll definitely try to use that though, throwing from further behind me.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 4:14am

Jaegoor wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 2:51am:
Die meiste Kraft kommt aus der Hüfte.
Diese ist zuerst in der vorwärts Bewegung. Der Arm wird dann folgen.
Sie brauchen viel weniger Kraft und erreichen eine höhere Geschwindigkeit.

This is definitely something I'm bad at. When I was practicing martial arts, a constant problem was not moving my hips enough. I think I am just pretty stiff overall and it's something I'm always trying to work on.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 11:13am

Es ist nicht schwierig das slingen zu erklären.
Es gibt klar abgrenzbare Folgen von Bewegungen.
Wäre es Judo oder irgendein anderer Sport wäre es für alle klar. 😁
Aber bei unserem Sport ist jeder Experte der mal eine Schnur gebastelt hat.
Es wird immer und immer wieder über maximal Power diskutiert. Man diskutiert ebenso über alle möglichen Stile. Nur die Ergebnisse sind dem gegenüber recht sehr bescheiden und gering.
Zeigen sie mir einen erfolgreichen slinger und ich erkläre dir mit welchem System er Arbeit.
Es gibt nach meiner bescheidenen Meinung nur drei Grund Techniken. Unterhand, sidehand und overhand. Alles andere sind Variationen.
Variationen entstehen durch verschiedene dynamiken. Was ist ihr Ziel. Wo steht es. Wie ist dein eigener Stand. Bewegst du dich. bewegt sich dein Ziel. Dann fangen sie an grundtechniken zu variieren. Es ist nicht sehr schwer. In einer Woche mache ich dich zu einem durchschnittlichen slinger.
Voraussetzung. Du bist bereits ein durchschnittlicher Sportler. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)