Hello from Ohio (Read 1802 times)
bean2778
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Dayton, OH
Hello from Ohio
Jun 12th, 2019 at 12:29pm

Hi,
I just got interested in slinging last week. I've made my first sling by following this tutorial
I've been using mini tennis balls that I found at the pet supply store as ammunition. Right now, I'm trying to use the figure 8 technique. If that combination of things isn't condusive to a beginner learning I would really appreciate it if you would let me know.
I'm looking forward to learning from you guys.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Hello from Ohio
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:05pm

Welcome from your neighbor state of Pennsylvania!  It sounds like you're off to a good start to me.  Definitely experiment with different techniques, but go with what is natural and feels comfortable for you.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 2:33pm

I don't think any of us ever stop experimenting with sling techniques and ammo; at least, I know I still haven't. Best thing to do is just keep trying different stuff. Welcome from Finland by the way! Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kindor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

western oregon
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:50am

Welcome from Oregon, figure8 is fun to learn and usually impresses people who see you do it, at least in my experience.

IP Logged

bean2778
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Dayton, OH
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 2:09pm

Kindor wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:50am:
figure8 is fun to learn and usually impresses people who see you do it, at least in my experience.

It does look really cool. I'm doing it for a different reason, though.

Quick disclaimer: I'm aware I have no idea what I'm talking about right now. I hit a two foot wide target yesterday from about 20 feet away. It took me about 25 tries to do it and I missed about 25 times after that. But for that instant I felt like a wizard. That's where my slinging game is right now.

That being said. Throwing overhand feels much more natural than throwing side arm. That seems like it rules out Byzantine, Helicopter, and Balearic.
If I remember correctly, that leaves Apache, Greek, and Figure 8. My suspicion is that the body mechanics of Apache are suboptimal b/c radius is not decreased at any point by bending the elbow. I don't know if that is as important as I think it is. I feel like it is difficult to swing the sling into the place I want it at the start of my acceleration phase with Greek (if anyone can give tips on that it would be appreciated). That leaves Figure 8. It is the overhand technique that seems like it has the mechanics that seem optimal to me and it puts the sling in the place that I "think" it needs to be.
Please, Please shoot holes in anything I've said, bad assumptions I've made, or holes in my knowledge.

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 2:52am

Welcome from the Philippines  Grin. The sling from the tutorial looks like a rockman https://web.archive.org/web/20121104161418/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=ho...

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 5:12pm

Hi  i don't think I ever wrote an intro. I am English lived in Ohio 45 years . Been slinging for about  9 months but only 4  seriously . just managed to hit my first 125 ft  target ( a tree)
i am beginning  to get the hang of it. it much more fun when you do .made about a dozen slings of different lengths and material . the worst part is my back from bending and picking up the rocks to sling.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:13pm

Hi bean;
   Welcome aboard from New Jersey!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 11:33pm

Howdy from Texas! 
Don’t get too caught up in the names and styles. Find something that works for you and practice it until you can hit your target. You’ll do fine with almost any style by almost any name it’s called as long as you don’t start with the turkey throw... that style was a prank posted on here by a troll (but some people still swear it’s a legit style)

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)