Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Are you a slinger, or a person who slings? (Read 6281 times)
TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Re: Are you a slinger, or a person who slings?
Reply #30 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 12:57pm

Frondeur wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:45am:
well, history-wise, my guess would be that this kind of "peasant weapon" wasn't realy encouraged through middle ages, with the notable exception of the bow in england... so it feel out of the cultural background in most parts of europe. 

Interestingly enough, Slingers were perhaps the only form of 'peasants' I.e serfs that were hired during the High/Late medieval period.

It seems that slingers were hired on an Ad-hoc basis and generally only for sieges, but you also see them at the battle of Falkirk and at Najeera, and slingers were present  during the Hussite war.

Generally, I think that slings were more common than people imagine they were for the Medieval period, but they were less commonly used than in the classical period.

If you also want to read something interesting, you should look at this portion from the 'Kings Mirror', a Norwegian book written in the 1200's, which suggests that A knight should practice with archery or slinging.

Quote:
Kings Mirror

It is also counted rare sport and pastime to take one's bow and go with other men to practice archery.

Another pleasant and useful diversion is to practice
throwing with a sling both for distance and for accuracy,
and with a staff sling as well as with a hand sling, and
to practice throwing stone missiles. Formerly the custom was for all who wished to become expert in such arts and thoroughly proficient in war and chivalry to train both hands alike to the use of weapons.

If that is not a document encouraging 'Knights' to try slinging... then I shall go and eat a hat. Tongue

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #31 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 1:00pm

Sarosh wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:26am:
It's silly but that's what happens when a noob doesn't understand what it takes to achieve something. I do that with the record throwers. how the frick do you throw 200gram plus stones 260-350meters? You got to be some sort of giant or applied some kind of magic tuning to your slings Tongue

... or spend some time practicing, improve your skills, and become the next “giant” Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 1:50pm

@frondeur,
It’s not any less practical or more absurd than golf. It’s good exercise, mentally engaging, challenging, and accessible to anyone anywhere in the world at almost any age. Maybe it would be more popular if it was as expensive as golf... other than price and exclusivity, slinging and golf are not much different.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 12:16am

@
Morphy

Too many wind mills to fight?  Draw back. Take a break. We miss ya Smiley A little errantry in ones life a'int always a bad thing.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #34 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:06am

Well put sir. Thank you for the encouraging words Walter.  Smiley

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 5:04pm

Ant thoughts about slinging in high winds?

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #36 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 6:49pm

If I say I'm a slinger, many people may be sad  Cheesy

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #37 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 5:37am

@nooc

Don't take me so litteral. I agree with you, it's just that I'm a little less serious.

And I 'm starting to take interrest  in golf too. Yes, it's very similar in some aspects.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #38 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 10:30pm

Slinger. I faded away for a bit but making my way back. I always carry one with me at all times.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #39 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 9:05pm

I would say slinger. Maybe not the most skilled sling maker, but definitely a decent slinger. I've been slinging pretty consistently for almost 10 years, wrote a significant portion of a book about it, taught many others how to sling and generally informed many others about the nature of slinging.

I just read a great book called Atomic Habits that goes into extreme detail on setting up better habits in your life using different "hacks". One chapter is mostly just discussing how you view yourself affects your habits, and you should call yourself what you want to be.

If you run but want to be better at running consistently, you should consider yourself a runner. It doesn't necessarily have to be your profession, that just means you add the word professional before your title.

Even if you take a break, your accuarcy may fade. However, the ability to take a shoe string or a bit of twin and construct and use a weapon that can throw an egg sized-rock over 100mph with some degree of accuracy is a definite skill that deserves some kind of contribution to your identity.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 12:41pm

for any engish men on here I equate that with
"Are you a Kentish Man" ? "or a man from Kent"?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 1:58pm

Ive already answered but I like this question. There are few things in my life that define me more than my love of primitive weapons and the sling is at the top of that list. Virtually my entire life Ive been a slinger and one of my big issues is I get pretty good at something quickly and then burn out on it. Essentially my main hobby is collecting hobbies.

Thats not the case with the sling. Probably the simplest and most complicated aspect of my life. Its such a paradox of a weapon. One of my favorite thing is portable "thing". I like phones and gameboys better than computers and gaming systems. I prefer harmonica over the guitar and nothing is a better combination of fun, power and portability than the sling. Just love this tool.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #42 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 2:42pm

"Are you ladies from England?"

"Wales."

"Sorry, are you whales from England?"

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #43 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 5:45pm

Am I a stranger or a person who stranges ?

I yam proud to define myself as a stringer !

A SLIP weilding STR  ange sl  INGER   

Smiley dancing sausage Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #44 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 8:26pm

The bump of an old topic that's not that old!

I'm actually still in the same boat as I was at the creation of this topic.  I would call myself a person who slings, not a slinger quite yet.  Although definitely at a higher skill level than I was in 2019.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy)