Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Are you a slinger, or a person who slings? (Read 6284 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Are you a slinger, or a person who slings?
Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:57am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 6:54am:
I can safely say I'm a slinger Smiley

A serious chunk of my life and money for the last 15 years or so has been spent on slinging in one form or another.
For the 20 or so years before that I'd have said I was someone who slung.

Once you've spent 2 days up a hillfort in march, in horizontal rain, sleet and snow putting in over 1200 throws - I think you can say you're a slinger :-)

And over 12000 posts on slinging.org  Wink

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:02am

If I'm going to be honest I would say I needed a third category right now as I'm not even a person who slings. I still think about my life in the woods making bows and slings, fishing etc. My life for a very long time was wrapped up in slinging. I took it, perhaps, a little too seriously at times. I was a slinger back then now I am a person who daydreams about being one again.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:42pm

Archer and slinger. First thought of myself as an archer in the mid eighties; slinger early 21st century.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 12:34am

Wait... Morphy?... MORPHY?!  You’re alive! Welcome back!
Edit: I saw you’ve been active in the bow build conversation... just really quiet on the slinging front Smiley
... Ok, back to the topic:
Perhaps one of the problems here is that even inside of what is arguably the Internet’s largest community of slinging enthusiasts, nobody wants to self-identify as a “slinger” because they haven’t reached slinging zen mastery. I mean, if Jaegoor isn’t a slinger then nobody is, so this topic is basically a meaningless conversation. 

I consider myself a slinger, not because I’m particularly good at it. I’m a slinger because I enjoy using slings, designing slings, making slings, designing and making ammo for slings, and occasionally conversing with other like-minded individuals in these forums about the various aspects of the craft. Slingers should not be some unachievable or exclusive club. If you love slings, just call yourself a slinger, and if anyone gives you grief about it, you can tell them that I said it’s ok Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2019 at 9:10am by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #19 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 4:59am

@nooc:  Wink

Whoever reaches the "slinging zen mastery" has no need to be a slinger anymore, I guess....

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #20 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 12:10pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 12th, 2019 at 12:34am:
nobody wants to self-identify as a “slinger”

Kick, Frondeur, Greenjay, Rat Man, CA, and walter did.  And a couple others as close, or considered themselves one previously.  Wink

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 12:49pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 12th, 2019 at 12:10pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 12th, 2019 at 12:34am:
nobody wants to self-identify as a “slinger”

Kick, Frondeur, Greenjay, Rat Man, CA, and walter did.  And a couple others as close, or considered themselves one previously.  Wink

Sure plenty of people said yes, but they also felt the need to qualify or justify their answers as if there is some undefined and unachievable standard they will be compared to (Jesus the Noodler perhaps?) This community is weird in that everyone is friendly and welcoming to newcomers, but we also pretend that there is some mysterious and exclusive priesthood of master slingers who are the “true slingers”. It’s quite silly.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #22 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 2:39pm

I wouldn't say that. At least from my side, I see it as the difference between someone doing something ever now and then and someone who really invests in a hobby. I've been bowling a few times with friends but I've never bought a ball or the shoes. Slinging however, I have invested a lot of time and a fair amount of money in. The only reason I haven't invested more money is that slinging is pretty cheap as a hobby. Thank God I didn't fall in love with golf...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 6:07pm

LOL Kick, there is still time Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #24 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 6:10pm

Not on my budget there isn't Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #25 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 3:38am

To me this seems to be a question of identity. How you choose to identify and how others identify you are both important parts of who you are and how you experience/interact with the world around you. I consider myself a slinger but that is only a part of who I am.

I also don't believe that you have to be good at something to identify as a practitioner..

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #26 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:33am

Kick wrote on Jun 12th, 2019 at 6:10pm:
Not on my budget there isn't Cheesy

Oh, come now. RNs make decent money. In most places around the world you can pick up an extra shift if you need a little extra money.  You simply choose not to spend your money on golf. If you wanted to, you’d find a way.

This brings up a good point though: slinging costs basically nothing to get started. It’s fun and challenging in many of the same ways as golf. Why isn’t it a more popular hobby?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:26am

Quote:
we also pretend that there is some mysterious and exclusive priesthood of master slingers who are the “true slingers”. It’s quite silly.

It's silly but that's what happens when a noob doesn't understand what it takes to achieve something. I do that with the record throwers. how the frick do you throw 200gram plus stones 260-350meters? You got to be some sort of giant or applied some kind of magic tuning to your slings Tongue

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #28 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:45am

I just love those slingosophical debates, even more than the technical ones Cheesy

Slinging as a popular hobby?
well, history-wise, my guess would be that this kind of "peasant weapon" wasn't realy encouraged through middle ages, with the notable exception of the bow in england... so it feel out of the cultural background in most parts of europe. 
Another consideration is that it's just absurdly hard to shoot with, especially when you're quite isolated and train solo.
BTW, the last point was precisely what brought me here: long an hard to learn, and absolutely no practical use for me.
I jus love absurdities!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 12:26pm

"Wait... Morphy?... MORPHY?!  You’re alive! Welcome back!
Edit: I saw you’ve been active in the bow build conversation... just really quiet on the slinging front"

Oh ya. I lurk but lifes been busy. Shoot I only went fishing for the first time this year on Tuesday. My priorities are clearly out of whack. Hope you all are doing well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)