Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cordage question (Read 2941 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Cordage question
Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:15pm

So based off the previous post about sling weight, what cordage would you recommend me if I wanted to make something thin and dense?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Cordage question
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:15pm

I want to braid it btw

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:57pm

Nylon braided cord of about 1.5-3mm thickness, you can adjust the number of strands according to taste.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:36pm

@Tomas - In your post on the other topic you mentioned that you find most natural fibers to feel a bit light.  Does that include hemp?  For your description of something thin and dense, I've found that hemp holds up really well.  Even with thing cordage slings.

You question brought to mind something else I've been thinking about for a while.  The last couple slings I've worked on have been made from linen.  Which I like, because it's pretty soft.  But I've been thinking about combining it with hemp to see what the pair would do together.  For example, 4 strands of hemp braided together with 4 strands of linen.  The softness of the linen, combined with the strength of the hemp.  Definitely something I want to try soon.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 2:49am

I agree with JudoP, nylon, but if it's too thin you are gonna feel the stretchiness.

In the past I combined nylon or another synthetic cordage with linen cordage in the pouch area in a try to improve abrasion resistance , the results were more or less the same...

you can also put bees' wax on to raise the density. I personally hated braiding waxed cordage, too sticky.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 6:37am

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I come up with.
I was thinking I might try embroidery thread.... We shall see!

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:25am

I mainly use polypropylen cordage, 1.5mm thick, braided.

pro: good flexibility, don't strech much (especially when braided), cheaper than paracord.

THE con: poor abrasion resistance! I keep trying various solutions to this issue. By now, I protect the most fragile parts (especially both end of the releas cord) with sewing cotton threads.

Of course, if you stick to non-abrasive ammo, there's no probleme anymore...

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 6:48pm

Joe- ya hemp is actually not bad.
I would like to try linen as I imagine it would be similar to cotton but without The stretch.
And my solution to abrasion is an extra inch of length on the pouch.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 10:19pm

My linen experience is limited, but I would definitely recommend giving it a try.  I literally just finished braiding my second linen sling.  I'll be attaching a pouch in just a few minutes and hope the weather holds out tomorrow so I can give it a try.  At the moment there is rain in the forecast Sad

But with the first linen sling I made, I was very surprised how tight the throws felt.  Very little stretch.  So my experience has been as you describe.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 3:32am

When I've used cotton string I've found they have very little stretch. Linen is one of the few materials I haven't used so I'll add that to the list Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:03am

Ich habe auch schon Seide verwendet. Geniales Zeug.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:23am

Jaegoor!!! That is a wonderful suggestion. Did it fray easily?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:42am

Dyneema fishing line is also very thin and strong. A 3-strand braid made of dyneema braided fishing line cords is still thinner than a single strand of jute twine.

In short, you can use almost anything to make a decent sling.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:12am

Nein. Ich schieße diese seit vielen Jahren. Bisher mußte ich nur das Leder zweimal erneuern.

image__2_.jpg (73 KB | 44 )
image__2_.jpg

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:32am

I've seen that sling picture before and, seriously Jaegoor, it's quite possibly the prettiest sling I've ever seen.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)