Send Topic Print
Mulberries (Read 726 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Mulberries
Jun 7th, 2019 at 3:03pm

Around here Mulberries are the first wild fruit of the year.  They grow wild and plentiful all over town.  Back in the days when everyone hung their wash out people would always complain that the birds would eat the Mulberries then crap all over their wash, staining everything.  These days I'm the only one who hangs his wash out around here. 
    There are basically two kinds of Mulberries; the very dark purple ones that are the most common and White Mulberries.  The White ones aren't really white.  They're sort of light brown when ripe.  They have a different taste than the normal ones. They are sort of syrupy with a heavy sweet taste but they're very good.  I always imagined they were developed because the White Mulberries won't stain peoples' wash when crapped out of birds butts.  I can't prove that though.  Every bush gives berries with a slightly different taste, White or regular.
    The only down side is that they're only around for three or four weeks.
    Mulberries are delicious, apparently very easy to grow in that they're everywhere with no help from us, and each tree produces a lot of fruit.  For the life of me I'll never understand why there is no commercial market for them.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Mulberries
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 4:25pm

Some relatives had mulberries they never made anything with them. When our visits coincided with ripe berries we ate them but thinking about it, there should have at least been pies.

Though I also wonder how common pie making is. I make the pies in my family as my wife hates dealing with pastry dough. Don't know too many people making pies anymore.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:25pm

I like making pies in the Winter.  In the Summer I'm too cheap to light the oven while paying to keep the house cool. Of course there is no fresh local fruit in the Winter.  When I was a kid Mom would make pies out of any berries we'd bring her.  The best pies were wild mixed berry pies.  They were made with whatever you could fill  your bucket with; usually Blueberries and Huckleberries but sometimes Raspberries, Blackberries, or what ever else we could find were also used.  Mom was a great cook. Her pies were to die for. Mulberries weren't included because their season had come and gone by the time anything else was ripe.  I don't know why we never made just straight up Mulberry pies.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 5:06pm

We had a small white mulberry tree in our front yard in Cali. Only made a few dozen berries at one time but they sure were good. Whenever I think of mulberry Im usually thinking of bow making rather than pie making but I bet a pie with white mulberry would be awesome!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)