Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many slings do you have? (Read 2195 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
How many slings do you have?
Jun 5th, 2019 at 4:41pm

A friend of mine has finally (finally!) shown an interest in slinging so I've made him some simple paracord slings. Talking about slinging with him, he asked me how many I had and I do remember counting them at some point and I had around 30 but that was a little while ago now. Well I wasn't going to bother but not knowing was bugging me so I did a quick inventory. There may be more hidden around the place, but, so far, I have 52 slings, 1 unfinished sling (a horrible tangled mess I haven't wanted to deal with), a staff sling and 2 cestrosphendone slings. Some of them were experiments that aren't actually even usable and some are really crappy examples from when I was first starting out. I know some people here have only one sling and some have too many to count, but I'm curious if my number is unusual so, how many ya got?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: How many slings do you have?
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 4:50pm

not a single one as I want it, they are all worn out Tongue
I'm bored to count the rest
I remember the special slings: a Y-sling for tiny ammo and 3 kestrosphendones .

P.S. I like to have ready for use: 2 very well made, 2 very well made but a little worn out and others so I can throw crap ammo that would destroy good slings

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 6:37pm

That's a good way of doing it. I have a lot of variety in my sling collection and it really is a collection. I still don't have examples of all the types I would want.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2019 at 6:32am by Kick »  

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 8:16pm

Many of you know my wife lost her long battle with cancer five years ago.  I would make slings to keep my mind occupied.  As her cancer progressed I made more slings.  I would even take my twine to her doctor appointments and make slings in the waiting room.  Consequently I have no idea how many slings I have.  I've given some away but there are still many around here.  I have Aussie slings, pjs, TS3s, Seatbelt slings, Rockman slings, Skeletonized Slings, Double Barrel Slings, giant Snowball Slings, Cobras, slings that members made for me of many different designs, Apache Slings, etc. Maybe someday when I have a lot of time I'll count them. 

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 8:36pm

I currently have 15.  And another one in progress.

Oh, and that crazy compound sling that I'll also label a work in progress Cheesy

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 5:19am

Well, something around 40 slings, but I only carry one or two with me.

So much possibilities, so many types of projectiles... so few time!

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 5:24am

I currently have 8 slings(mostly made of jute).

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 5:33am

Maybe 60-70, but many are of lower quality or experimental. I had 50 when I checked some time last year.
I still have the 4th and 5th slings I ever made. They are both braided split pouches made from sisal and jute respectively and were the first slings I owned that properly worked.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 6:36am

I still regularly use my first sling Cheesy It's well worn now but thick paracord and a slingshot pouch are basically indestructible. I, completely by accident, nailed the perfect length for an all-rounder sling on my first attempt. If only all my slings were as successful. I did add some super glue onto the release cord at a later date to help with abrasive stones which worked really well so now I expect to be buried with it.

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 11:11pm

Put together right now: around 30, with enough leather for another 1,000 or so.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 9:18am

I guess I come in on the low end at under 20 completed slings. I have quite a few experimental pouches that I’ve removed the cordage from for the next experiment, and other than my few go-to personal slings, I try to give/trade the good ones away as fast as I can. I probably make at least 20 slings per year.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 9:43am

Probably 15. I honestly could not say what happens to most of my slings. They never stick around long. I think giving them away gives me a reason to make another.  Grin

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 10:13am

I've kept eight. That is still too many Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)